Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Picanto 2004, 1.1L, G4HG
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Crankshaft Bolt problem in old Picanto:

My VIN number suppose to be covered as it's lower number than in docs, 54 plate, however I was told by KIA dealer that I need to pay £110 for 1h work to diagnose problem. I asked for details if it was done previously, I was told to contact KIA dealer where car was serviced most of the time (200miles away)(no online database? Shocking - or just trying to get away?) I provided printed docs which I found online regarding affected VIN numbers, but it wasn't accepted at all because it wasn't "recall" but just "campaign" - do I believe now in their 7years warranty for new cars? Obviously NOT, nothing to do with new car and warranty, it just shows how to get away of the problem. So my advice to DO NOT BUY KIA for long term use, as a main car, not worth it at all, when looked at this case how bad they're handling factory defects. I understand this car is very old now with low value, but 40mins work to prevent it from scrap? Doesn't make sense as this is so economical environment friendly car (only £30 road tax due to low emission), so I understand they don't bother about environment, they don't bother about sorting their factory faults.
I ordered improved bolt, washer and I'm forced to do it myself, only £10 + £25 for Loctite 660 just in case - okay - I'll sort it myself then, shame on you KIA! Definitely I won't buy brand new KIA, I was thinking to replace our old family car for Kia Sorento (Picanto is just for temporary time to see how it goes - best practice), but now I know that is not worth at all investing in any new KIA, after this case I do not believe in any of their 7years warranty as this case with crankshaft bolt is obvious, however they found the way yesterday to refuse repair their factory problem.

Should be no excuses because of old car as same time I handed paperwork for old 57 plate Honda CR-V regarding another factory fault which was accepted and booked for free repair straight away. (same place, as they run KIA and Honda dealer in same place, same person, so where is the point buying KIA then?)

·
Super Moderator
9,401 Posts
To be fair you are talking about a 2005 car. So well out of the 7 year warranty.
You have not said where or when the car was bought.
£110 is standard investigation charge. If the item had already been replaced then you would have had to pay. If it was not then you would not be charged, if it was something that was dealt with under warranty.
They are correct there is no central service record database. Not a problem as you should have the service book, which will record services & any recall work done.
So do you know if a previous owner had, had it done?

These are the only safety recalls on the Picanto

Number Date Concern
R/2018/246 2018-09-11 FUEL FILLER NECK RUBBER HOSES MAY CRACK OVER TIME
R/2012/138 2012-12-03 CORROSION MAY AFFECT HANDBRAKE PERFORMANCE
R/2010/062 2010-06-14 FUEL MAY LEAK

End of the day would you expect any manufacture do such work on a 16 year old car? I think you know the answer to that one. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
973 Posts
Wow. Well, you've convinced me; I'll never buy a new KIA.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
Don't blame Kia, blame previous owners. If it had been serviced by a Kia dealer it would of been checked long ago when the technical bulletin was issued. In our family we had 5 Picantos from 2004 and not one of them has had the problem. Having them serviced if they have been done for cheapness does not pay in the long term with any make if a problem arises.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
So my advice to DO NOT BUY KIA for long term use Definitely I won't buy brand new KIA
Did you join this forum just so you could have a rant about KIA? It may come as a shock to you but every car forum I have ever looked at has instances of thoroughly dissatisfied customers and, for your information, Honda is no different!

Fortunately, many thousands of happy KIA owners understand the benefits of KIA's long warranty and are reluctant so swap away from the brand. Frankly, on the information you have provided, I think you have more front than Blackpool to expect a KIA dealership to oblige with their time for free on your 15+ year-old car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To be fair you are talking about a 2005 car. So well out of the 7 year warranty.
I was talking as well about 57 plate Honda which was sorted straight away, well out of the warranty.

You have not said where or when the car was bought.
Not imported, registered in the UK when new, 31.12.2004. I just bought it few days ago.

£110 is standard investigation charge. If the item had already been replaced then you would have had to pay. If it was not then you would not be charged, if it was something that was dealt with under warranty.
I wasn't charged any "standard investigation charge" for OLD 57 plate Honda, booked it yesterday, today is 2022 year, so old as well. I'm talking about factory faults. Faults which happens due to part design problems or weak quality, things which should not happens.

If it was not then you would not be charged
Not true - I was told to pay anyway. Then to do not pay for replacing screw and washer if not already replaced, but to pay for £110 for 1h work to diagnose problem, but not to replace parts if required, so you're wrong in here, or you're working for Kia and hiding things as well.

They are correct there is no central service record database. Not a problem as you should have the service book, which will record services & any recall work done.
So do you know if a previous owner had, had it done?
Many brands could be checked by VIN number regarding history, but... if they cannot work differently then I fully respect their rules and make own choices in the future.
Yes, I do have service book with just stamps, millage, signature, that's all, obviously KIA dealer, but Stoke On Trent, while I went to Newton Abbot where I live now. No recalls for my VIN, but "campaign", please check attached photo, it wasn't accepted even if my VIN number should be covered. But in their system is no recalls so nothing can be done. I was explained that different than "campaign". As I mentioned previously, I'll sort it myself then, but it shows me real life, how things are handled by Kia regarding factory faults, it could be done way better.

End of the day would you expect any manufacture do such work on a 16 year old car?
Yes, because where is the point talking about environment etc, scrap car/make more waste even if car has so low co2 emission? It doesn't make sense. Yes, because this is FACTORY FAULT, KIA used weak quality/too small screw and washer. My 57 plate Honda which is similar age was accepted free to sort different factory issue - OLD car.
Before purchasing brand new car I purchased old cheap stuff to find how it goes, if is it worth? How dealers relations are? I never had anything to do with Kia, I would not spend money for brand new family car without any experience, so this is best way to do it for me. Kia is cheaper than Honda, so I was thinking to try... but I'm not financially rich person to afford brand new SUV without trying brand first, that's why old stuff first... so I'll drive for longer old Honda and save more to stick to new Honda then, or I'll look for different alternatives, Kia is out of my list now.

I think you know the answer to that one. 🤷‍♂️
Yes, definitely I know the answer now as same day 57 plate, but Honda, was sorted under recall, so I'll save more and stick to new Honda instead of Kia. Thank You iooi for assurance that nothing can be done. As I stated previously: purchased bits and I'll sort it myself, not a problem, I'm very very happy because I found myself in real situation, it just shows real KIA position. Some people are purchasing brand new cars for few years, some for life, so I think everyone can make their own decision...

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you join this forum just so you could have a rant about KIA? It may come as a shock to you but every car forum I have ever looked at has instances of thoroughly dissatisfied customers and, for your information, Honda is no different!

Fortunately, many thousands of happy KIA owners understand the benefits of KIA's long warranty and are reluctant so swap away from the brand. Frankly, on the information you have provided, I think you have more front than Blackpool to expect a KIA dealership to oblige with their time for free on your 15+ year-old car.
Purchased just to check how it goes, before new car. Nothing wrong by doing this type of practice to research. I don't want to offend anyone, any of Kia owners, I just described real situation. Your words sounds like if you purchase brand new car you could be treated better than with old car? I fully agree with you that Honda is not better, I'm not talking about reliability but dealers help regarding any factory issues, well... if car is well maintained it will go right even after 25years, brand doesn't matter really, however it's important if there is any help from the dealer or not. I won't say anything more, I just wanted to describe real situation.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I dont ever trust warranties , after 3 x years i go independant for servicing and dont use Kia ,but never had a problem with any major parts , but looking at getting 2 x new Kias soon this year picanto Gt line s and a Stonic auto Gt line s .to replace picanto chilli 2016 and venga 4 auto 2017 .

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
In 2004 when the car was registered (see below) the Kia warranty was only 3 years. the 7 year warranty was introduced with the Ceed in 2006/7 and rolled out to the rest of the range by 2010.

Not imported, registered in the UK when new, 31.12.2004. I just bought it few days ago.
So its only 14 years out of warranty!!!!

How unfair of Kia not to keep repairing it FOC.

Sorry for that last line, no idea what came over me, back to reality.

Since you only bought it a "few days ago" in the 17 years since the car was registered you have no idea how its been treated or maintained have you? If it was a one owner car that had been serviced annually by the same Kia dealer I still doubt very much they would show any goodwill.

If you want free repairs buy a new car every 3 years (or a Kia every 7 years) and keep it serviced exactly to the manufacturers schedule. If they refused to fix it in those services you would get some sympathy but in this case, forget it.

Buying a new car regularly and maintaining it costs £££££'s

Buying a used car and hoping it reliable is potentially much cheaper but if it goes wrong in a big way you have to be prepared to scrap it and start again, it called BANGERNOMICS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
So its only 14 years out of warranty!!!!
How unfair of Kia not to keep repairing it FOC.
Sorry for that last line, no idea what came over me, back to reality.
My Honda story around the same but you don't want too see it. (57 plate) (I'm talking about factory faults, not any ordinary repairs)

Since you only bought it a "few days ago" in the 17 years since the car was registered you have no idea how its been treated or maintained have you? If it was a one owner car that had been serviced annually by the same Kia dealer I still doubt very much they would show any goodwill.
Car is FULLY WORKING, drives perfect, it's only about FACTORY HIDDEN FAULT.
Just checked valves clearance, looked into engine, oil changed etc etc... so I don't feel to even check cylinders pressure as drives really good, all perfect apart of clutch which is only around £60 for top brand - bargain. Very good condition for its age. It's only matter of sorting factory bug by dealer - or not sorting it. I'm not talking about major engine rebuild etc, but about 1 screw and 1 washer which will prevent from major engine fault - this is factory issue, that's why I was negatively surprised when handed in both OLD cars/makes for factory defects where under same roof Honda will be sorted, Kia not. Car drives perfect currently. As I said previously, I'll sort it myself then.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
The car has made you money. Due to age you probably paid less than £500. Go along to Kia dealer and buy a new one with 7 year warranty and you will get £2,000 scrappage allowance.

Reactions: rdfb2 and Indalo

·
Super Moderator
9,401 Posts
It's not a hidden factory fault.. Or you would not have known about it.
Fact is you do not know if it was fixed by a previous owner.

Thanks @Back again Did not know it was only a 3 year warranty back in 2004 (y)

Perhaps @picachu would like to read this thread about Kia dealing with issues out of warranty. Which will cost them far more than a bolt & washer when talking LED DRL's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And you're complaining about having to pay £10 for a replacement bolt that may have already been replaced.
I'm not complaining about £10 at all, don't add unreal things to the story, I'm just complaining about not sorting factory faults by dealer. I'll repeat - I'll sort it myself then. (If you have missed it several times).
It's not a hidden factory fault.. Or you would not have known about it.
Obviously I wouldn't know it without THIS FORUM, so how it comes not hidden factory fault then? Just read history, everything explained in the past at kiaownersclub.co.uk so it's obvious.

True, that's why I ordered improved bolt and washer just in case, it's only £10 and about 40mins, I'll find it when I'll remove this bolt in the next few weeks time as parts not in stock currently, just missed point here - this is factory fault and should be sorted by dealer, this put me off, not the fact that I have to do it, or the fact they've done bug at production line for some time, but the fact that's factory fault which Kia dealer disagreed to sort it free. I'll sort it myself then.

·
Read Only
66 Posts
You're telling people to not buy a new KIA with a 7 year warranty because of a very minor issue on an 18 year old car that doesn't affect its drivability or safety that you can sort yourself for a tenner.

Get a grip. You're being beyond unreasonable. You could spend a million quid on a new house and you only get a 10 year warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You're telling people to not buy a new KIA with a 7 year warranty because of a very minor issue on an 18 year old car that doesn't affect its drivability or safety.
Damaging crankshaft by wrong bolt is not minor, but it doesn't matter really, only what's matter is the fact how dealer is handling this issue.

A very minor issue that you knew about when you bought it. Why buy it?
Please re-read, I stated already that I purchased car to know better Kia before purchasing brand new car.
I drive a lot, I do a lot of extra work in every car. My car must run always top perfect, best way to know new brand is to take it into bits, so purchased old Kia for a bit of time as best solution to get familiar with this brand. While taking bits out to replace timing belt or clutch I'll find if this design is any good for me or not? Long story short: Broken alternator in Honda CR-V in Netherlands, I've refused recovery and night in hotel due to loosing 2 days for repair, time was important as I had to be at work in the next two days, so in few hours time I sorted it myself and I was back on the road - found online/purchased alternator - replaced on the side and I was ready to go, most businesses not wanted sell alternator to me because I was talking about "impossible" task and delivery issues(no address), they've changed words when I stated that it took me 15mins to take out bloody thing. I'm very technical person, I must know brand which I'll use from new for the next 15years, I'm not interested to buy car for 3-5years and replace again.
I didn't know about bolt issue when purchased, not found any information about it. Found it only because of reading deeply kiaownersclub.co.uk AFTER purchase, I purchased car to know brand better, so perfect then, looks like this way worked for me.
Yeah, Honda is not perfect, after some years alternator gone, different time aircon motor gone, found aircon fault as common fault, so purchased from new model fault free aircon motor and modified fittings..., problems are with many many different brands, it's only about fact that if dealer is willing to sort real major factory issues when documents exists, when for example engine can be damaged like in this case - or not and DIY.

Why not get them to sort it prior to purchase?
No any obvious signs regarding this type of fault, I found online service note regarding VIN number, that's all.

If you're bolt was that bad it probably would have snapped by now 😉
Exactly, but only 64k on the clock so there is still short time for it, I'll find it in the next few weeks if replaced already or not, when I receive spare parts which ordered today.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
If you really think that an 18 year old vehicle has any bearing on present day models you are seriously misguided. We had a 2004 and still on the road with near 90,000 miles on clock, with very little spent on it and certainly not bolt problem. Brother in law had a 2009 Picanto again totally trouble free. He now has the 2021 Picanto and there is no comparison with it to the old models. With all your moaning about a problem which as stated you only think you may have, but say it runs fine, what are you going to read about and moan about next.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.