Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Veloster boys are full of good Ideas for our Pro_ceed as they have the same engine so their experiences are a good starting point for us.One thread I have been reading speaks of improving the air intake system, and doing it for minimal outlay.This is the thread:
http://www.velosterturbo.org/forum/veloster-turbo-diy/1748-30-diy-short-ram-intake-sri.html

Basically you remove the air box and its associated plumbing and replace it with a cone filter.
I gave this a go today and I have to say I was impressed. It was raining when I went out for my test drive so I can not comment on any power improvements, but they should be there given all the obstructions that have been taken out of the air path. Aftermarket air intakes for the veloster claim about 10HP and 15lbft gain. The DIY should be comparable as tubing on the aftermarket kits are no bigger than stock. What you pay for is a shinny bit of pipe to replace the perfectly good stock plastic tubing.

The veloster boys complain about the increased noise of the sports intake, but I loved it. You can hear the turbo working.It makes virtually no noise in normal driving.At full throttle at low revs you get a SSSSSSSSSSHHHHHH sucking sound when the turbo goes on boost.When you come off the throttle when the turbo has been active you get CCHHHUUUOOO as the waste gate dumps the excess pressure.
All-in-all quite entertaining.

It might also be considered an economy aid, as you can clearly hear the turbo goes to boost, back off a tad till the sound is gone and you are driving for maximum economy.

Here is how it is done:

Items:<br style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; : rgb250, 250, 250;">1 x air filter (I got mine from Super Cheap Auto for a super cheap $25)<br style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; : rgb250, 250, 250;">1 x 3" outer diameter to 3" outer diameter tube/pipe (I did not need this)<br style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; : rgb250, 250, 250;"><br style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; : rgb250, 250, 250;">Tools:<br style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; : rgb250, 250, 250;">Phillips Head screwdriver<br style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; : rgb250, 250, 250;">10mm socket

Loosen the green screw/bolt all the way with a phillips head screwdriver.<br style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; : rgb250, 250, 250;">Loosen the 3 x 10mm bolts (red)<br style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; : rgb250, 250, 250;">Disconnect the two latches (yellow)

Take off the top of the stock air box:

Take off the bottom of the stock air box. It helps if you wiggle it straight left then try maneuver it out.

He used a bit of pipe, but I just bought a filter with an outsidediameter of 85mm. It went straight in to the stock tube using thestockclamp.

Here is my Pro_ceed installation:

Installation took only a few minutes.
Give it a try. If you don't like it you only wasted $25.

Edited by: tomburke7

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would LOVE to do this as I've been thinking of installing something along these lines in my PCGT. Nice to know its so gosh-darn easy.

The only thing making me uneasy about the whole thing is the British MOT test and my Warranty. :(
I'll have to ask around and see what's what.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Putting the stock air box back would take you under 5 minutes, even faster if you did it regularly to pass the MOT.We don't have a MOT out here in the colonies, so can you tell me what it is, how often you have to do it, etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The MOT is an annual test required on cars where they are checked over for faults and also given an emission test. Cars are not required to have an MOT until the car is 3 years old so not currently an issue for the pro'ceed GT.

Also as tomburke7 has said the standard airbox can be re-installed prior to any warranty work taken out on the car so not an issue with the dealer.

Tom, what exhaust have you got and what exactly is an intercooler muffler delete pipe?

·
Registered
184 Posts
tomburke7 said:
Putting the stock air box back would take you under 5 minutes, even faster if you did it regularly to pass the MOT.We don't have a MOT out here in the colonies, so can you tell me what it is, how often you have to do it, etc.

closest thing for you is aRoadworthy Certificate

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
>Tom, what exhaust have you got and what exactly is an intercoolermufflerdelete pipe?

Ok I'll start a tread about that little gem.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
>Tom, what exhaust have you got

Myfront section isunchanged, this contains the first CAT and two oxygen sensors. The front sensor, before the CAT sends data to the computer to set the mixture, the second sensor after the CAT monitors the effectiveness of the CAT. Replacing the front section is where all the horse power is hidden - the first metre of a turbo cars exhaust system is the most important (exhaust gases are hot, so have the greatest volume) but with sensors there it is not for the faint hearted.

I've replaced the back section.

After the flexible join you see the second CAT (#1 below) and a resonator (#2 below)

At the rear you have the worlds biggest muffler. (#3 below)

I started by replacing the second CAT with a high flow sports CAT. I initially though of deleting it entirely, as one CAT should be sufficient to meet our emission requirement here, but the exhaust guy indicated that removing it would make the car unroadworthy as its specification listed the car with 2 CATs.
A sports CAT almost flows like a straight pipe, so I just paid the money to have it fitted (#4 below).
The resonator after the CAT was a straight through type, so it offered minimal restriction. It could stay.

My exhaust guy said that big muffler at the back was there for a reason. This car is driven at low rpm when cruising so it needed a big muffler to stop the car droning. So I took his advice and ordered a big sports muffler for the rear. This was of the straight through design so it offered little resistance to exhaust flow, and used absorption as a means of cutting the sound.

Well it did a great job. The car had a nice deep burble at idle, and was dead quiet at cruise.
Under hard acceleration it was also dead quiet, but this was not what I was looking for. I wanted a sportier note.

To achieve this we pulled out the resonator (#2 above). Now it is dead quiet when cruising, has a nice idle note, and it barks under hard acceleration. It also growls nicely on trailing throttle.

·
Registered
36 Posts
great mod & something ive done to every performace car ive owned,
just got to find a decent cone filter here in the uk (its rip off britain if you didnt know)

what were the measurements for the filter again ? (i saw the veloster boys were using upto a maximum of 9 inch long lol think something like 6.5-7.0 would be better for me)

the sucking/intake sound doesnt bother me at all

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
>i saw the veloster boys were using upto a maximum of 9 inch long lol think something like 6.5-7.0 would be better for me

They might beAfrican American boys, that explains why theirs is 9 inches long.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hey any update on this?

It's hotter out where you are, any signs of heat soak or anything like that?

I noticed that the actual rubber OEM pipe that connects to the airbox is very soft, can be squeezed easily so wondered if that 'closed in' when accelerating hard but I guess it should be ok.

I've spoken to both ITG and K&N

ITG said they would be happy for me to pop over so they could have a look at what could be done.

K&N said something was on the way complete intake wise and they would let me know when its finished. That said I can't see it being any different to thishttp://www.knfilters.co.uk/search/product.aspx?prod=69-5312TS which is for the Veloster Turbo as it's the same engine

Edited by: Jam0r

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jam0r said:
It's hotter out where you are, any signs of heat soak or anything like that?

Its winter here and very cold. Too cold to go out and work on the car.
I will look at building a deflector that will block engine heat and take air from the cold air intake and blow it on the filter - but only when the weather gets warmer.

I have also bought some heat wrap to cover the intake piping close to the turbo.

Jam0r said:
I noticed that the actual rubber OEM pipe that connects to the airbox is very soft, can be squeezed easily so wondered if that 'closed in' when accelerating hard but I guess it should be ok.

I've spoken to both ITG and K&N

ITG said they would be happy for me to pop over so they could have a look at what could be done.

K&N said something was on the way complete intake wise and they would let me know when its finished. That said I can't see it being any different to thishttp://www.knfilters.co.uk/search/product.aspx?prod=69-5312TS which is for the Veloster Turbo as it's the same engine

Looks interesting - please keep us posted as to your progress.
Look at the diameter of the piping. I notice some of these aftermarket intakes run smaller than stock pipe. The stock pipe should be the minimum diameter you should accept - the penny pinching engine designers would have made the stock pipe the smallest/cheapest possible to get the job done.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Will let you know when I hear from them.

I can't decide whether i'd prefer an open filter or an enclosed one really. ITG do some rather nice carbon airboxes, one of which looks as though it has the intake positioned at just the right angle to take advantage of the OEM cold air feed on the slam panel.

That said part of the reason for removing the airbox would be for a bit of extra noise and i'm worried the enclosed one would be just as quiet.

I quite like the idea of hearing the turbo whistle and other air noises on the car.

·
Registered
199 Posts
this one

only problem is I can only find ITG filters with a neck size of 89 OD and 86 ID which I think would be too big.

Edited by: Jam0r

·
Registered
708 Posts
It will make gaons for the simple reason its the same air box and filter in the 1.4 and the diesel same filter for 100bhp as 204bhp air box is the same size as well

·
Registered
147 Posts
this is my intake for My Forte5 sx turbo

for the most part the location of the filter in a turbo car is not such a big issue.. at least form a heat issue.. as the as theonly way to take heat out ofa turbo car induction system isby having a good flowing efferent intercooler.. the most important thing on turbo inductions system its have good flow and keep it away from water in heavy rain or puddles.. placing the filter in the air box location is a good spot or placing it behind the fog light in the bumper.. are dry safe places. even behind the fog light you would need to get water obove the center of the wheel totake inany water.. and one for for thought.. even with the tinyturbo our car has this motorruns best with a 3.5 inch intake.. my set upmade 17 hp at the wheel ..after the ecu relearned the long term fuel trim.

Edited by: Us Forte turbo

1 - 17 of 17 Posts