Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1461 - 1480 of 1516 Posts

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
761 Posts
I lost the little MPH sign on the dash, just has - - - now, the update sorted the 29-39-49 (etc) mph and the speech navigation is back to both speakers but I really liked the current road MPH sign on the dash.
Have you tried switching the option on again, sometimes the update loses the options you have selected and they need re-selecting again. This is confusing because some are retained but others are lost 🙄

·
Registered
Kia Niro 3 PHEV (70-plate) Horizon Blue
3,955 Posts
You get a tiny message at the bottom of the left hand side of the screen informing you that the route has been changed, but gives neither details nor options
Why do software designers always assume the user has 20/20 vision? WE "older" drivers need to have the info presented front and centre in bigger bolder fonts! We don't need to go searching all around the screen for info. I used to get very cross with our 25-year-old programmers when I worked for a software company - they just loved using teenyweeny fonts that didn't clutter their pretty screens.....

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Why do software designers always assume the user has 20/20 vision? WE "older" drivers need to have the info presented front and centre in bigger bolder fonts! We don't need to go searching all around the screen for info. I used to get very cross with our 25-year-old programmers when I worked for a software company - they just loved using teenyweeny fonts that didn't clutter their pretty screens.....
They must have all left and gone to Kia

·
Super Moderator
3,409 Posts
They must have all left and gone to Kia
We had our fair share at BT (my previous life before retirement beckoned), they would insist in introducing 'enhanced features' that nobody had asked for or wanted. Oh the arguments we used to have, I don't miss it at all. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,389 Posts
Ah, the old change for change sake. Just to justify their jobs. Rather than fix something that was broken.

Always used to hate it when we knew some software was being updated. As we knew that come the day after something else would stop working.

Once did some testing on a system we used that was being updated. The number of bugs we found was amazing. Made worse that despite us saying it was totally flawed and was not working. They rolled it out. 2 days later they had to back track & reinstall the old system due to customer complaints...

·
Super Moderator
9,389 Posts
To be fair, that's not uncommon with any navigation software including Google Maps, i.e. choosing a totally different route for the return leg.
And do not forget that there has been a change to "Economic" routing now. Which you can only take is part of the "Live" features.

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
761 Posts
And do not forget that there has been a change to "Economic" routing now. Which you can only take is part of the "Live" features.
Hooray we have the Fastest and Shortest options back, just called Recommended and Economic now 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Well spotted though (y)

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
761 Posts
Apologies if this has already been discussed Notice | Official Kia Motors Navigation Update Website but I just wonder why this limited to MY22 models. Given Kia's inability to deliver tested software I would prefer to be able to update the software when I choose, particularly now that I can regress if needed, but before the February release the MY22 & MY20 versions for the Xceed were identical which suggests that the hardware is as well.

·
Super Moderator
3,409 Posts
Once did some testing on a system we used that was being updated. The number of bugs we found was amazing. Made worse that despite us saying it was totally flawed and was not working. They rolled it out. 2 days later they had to back track & reinstall the old system due to customer complaints...
Yep! Done that one as well. Delivered late, we picked up the errors straight away and refused yo sign off. Our manager decided it had to go in and signed it off and it was an unmitigated disaster. And guess who took all the abuse from the users - that's why I now have no hair! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Oops! Gone well off topic, I'll stop now.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,473 ·
Apologies if this has already been discussed Notice | Official Kia Motors Navigation Update Website but I just wonder why this limited to MY22 models. Given Kia's inability to deliver tested software I would prefer to be able to update the software when I choose, particularly now that I can regress if needed, but before the February release the MY22 & MY20 versions for the Xceed were identical which suggests that the hardware is as well.
One other thing that's different between the MY22 and MY20 is that the map version for the MY22 models (ending in 501.5 instead of 401.5) is a good bit bigger for some reason or another. No idea what extra data is in there, but could it be that the head units for the MY22 models have more storage and not only can cope with the bigger maps but also extra storage needed to cope with OTA updates? I guess that with the unpredictability of the car's 4G connection as you drive around that the updates might need to be fully downloaded piece by piece to the head unit first to a reserved area before updating.

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
761 Posts
One other thing that's different between the MY22 and MY20 is that the map version for the MY22 models (ending in 501.5 instead of 401.5) is a good bit bigger for some reason or another. No idea what extra data is in there, but could it be that the head units for the MY22 models have more storage and not only can cope with the bigger maps but also extra storage needed to cope with OTA updates? I guess that with the unpredictability of the car's 4G connection as you drive around that the updates might need to be fully downloaded piece by piece to the head unit first to a reserved area before updating.
Yes it could well be something like that, good thought 😁

·
Registered
Kia Niro 3 PHEV (70-plate) Horizon Blue
3,955 Posts
Ah, the old change for change sake. Just to justify their jobs. Rather than fix something that was broken.

Always used to hate it when we knew some software was being updated. As we knew that come the day after something else would stop working.

At least they could backtrack.....

·
Registered
2021 Soul EV FE
278 Posts
I don't know why this "limited to MY22 models" keeps circulating. Have Kia said that wireless updates are only for MY22?

I tend to agree about the risks of taking software updates at random when Kia "push" them. It seems that we don't fully know what the "wireless updates" will actually be delivering. I'd be happy for small corrections to map data to be happening as often as possible, but anything which changes "user experience" ought to be something that I can choose or defer. I don't want to get in the car in a hurry and have it pop up something even more time-wasting than the current "Drive safely [Confirm]"

It seems to me that all we have evidence for is that Kia have so far only announced updates for a range of new MY22 cars. We are expecting updates in April/May "for the many not the few", so there will clearly be more updates in the next weeks, but I don't believe we have any facts on what is in or out of scope for pre-MY22 cars. Just because only MY22 is listed doesn't mean to say there is nothing coming later, surely. Can we infer no wireless updates or perhaps no updates ever? Patently not!

Maybe this is Kia being sensible and rolling out a new feature to a subset of users to shake down some of the potential issues before adding a very broad spectrum of models which may be running many different versions of past software. I think it is just sensible to put a toe in the water and get the customer support systems learning what issues the April/May drop of software updates raises from users (specially if there is something substantial and new and dependant on mobile data from different networks around the globe).

Reactions: macgd016

·
Super Moderator
9,389 Posts
The difference between 401 & 501 could well be down to being able to handle the OTA updates.

Here's hoping it is being sensible. As I'm sure us <MY20 users do not want to be guinea pigs again. 🤣

Will be interesting to hear any My22 users thoughts after OTA updates kick in & how they went.

·
Registered
2022 Ceed GT line 1.5TGDI - Fusion Orange
345 Posts
Hoping that map updated won't stop being able to download and that OTA is just a convenience that some may wish to pay for. I'm just about to apply the April update so we shall see what happens in June

1461 - 1480 of 1516 Posts