Kia Owners Club Forum banner
501 - 520 of 818 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Now I don't know if this is new but I've never noticed it before, you can turn off the radio and still have the satnav showing.
If you long push the on/off button the whole thing turns off. But if you just quick push it the radio goes off but the satnav stays on.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've downloaded the Russian maps and put them on my SD card. I will go for a ride in the afternoon and see it that maybe helped with the "---" speed limit however I doubt that.

·
Registered
2020 Picanto 3 my21
48 Posts
I have been looking through all the posts about speed limit signs, though much does not apply to my Picanto 3 my21, since it does not have a forward facing camera. All the speed limit signs come from a data base and appear to be working well except for some areas which are new to the maps. These areas are road networks within retail parks and hospitals which were not shown on the previous maps and obviously not yet included in the data base. It would appear from other reports that cars with forward cameras are picking up road signs but not getting info from the data base where road signs do not exist.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have been looking through all the posts about speed limit signs, though much does not apply to my Picanto 3 my21, since it does not have a forward facing camera. All the speed limit signs come from a data base and appear to be working well except for some areas which are new to the maps. These areas are road networks within retail parks and hospitals which were not shown on the previous maps and obviously not yet included in the data base. It would appear from other reports that cars with forward cameras are picking up road signs but not getting info from the data base where road signs do not exist.
I think that's exactly the problem. You've described it perfectly. The question is: is this database part of the software update and KIA needs to release new software or is this database part of the map files and it's enough for KIA to release new maps version and there is no need for another software update.

Reactions: fenegroni and Skid_

·
Registered
2020 Picanto 3 my21
48 Posts
I think that's exactly the problem. You've described it perfectly. The question is: is this database part of the software update and KIA needs to release new software or is this database part of the map files and it's enough for KIA to release new maps version and there is no need for another software update.
I assume all the cars have the same maps and it is the software that decides what you see. Here are may details. How does that compare
Font Electric blue Darkness Multimedia Event

·
Registered
77 Posts
I assume all the cars have the same maps and it is the software that decides what you see. Here are may details. How does that compare View attachment 12762
Don't you have speed limit issues with Gen5W? I've seen some reports that even after latest update people with Gen5W are having some issues with "---" speed limits. The map version you have seems to be the same: you have EUR.14.47.48.631.401.5 and Compact and Standard Gen5 have EUR.14.47.48.631.101.5 but these might be just because Gen5W has wide screen and Gen5 does not.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Don't you have speed limit issues with Gen5W? I've seen some reports that even after latest update people with Gen5W are having some issues with "---" speed limits. The map version you have seems to be the same: you have EUR.14.47.48.631.401.5 and Compact and Standard Gen5 have EUR.14.47.48.631.101.5 but these might be just because Gen5W has wide screen and Gen5 does not.
Picanto does not have speed sign recognition even though it runs the gen5w software. so the speed sign we see on the satnav is from the map database

·
Registered
77 Posts
Right, didn't noticed that at first.

I have:

Car: KIA Carens (MY'17)
Platform: Compact Gen5 Navigation
Software: RP.EUR.SOP.013.17.211027
Firmware: RP.EUR.0.5.430.210930.MICOM
Navigation: STD5L.EUR.KMC.211108.c22f9b6
Maps: EUR.14.47.48.631.101.5

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've downloaded the Russian maps and put them on my SD card. I will go for a ride in the afternoon and see it that maybe helped with the "---" speed limit however I doubt that.
Just as I thought - it did not resolve the "---" speed limit issue.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you go to Navi settings it seems the information about speed limits is there however software is buggy and is not able to pick it up and display it correctly hence "---" error. In my case it should be showing the default/general speed limit of 50 km/h when I'm driving around the city.

Gadget Font Display device Multimedia Electronic device

·
Registered
MY21 Stonic GT-Line S ISG MHEV iMT
256 Posts
I have an older software version (see signature) probably the first in magenta, and was not updated during the PDI.
I get ‘- - -‘ on the dash until I hit a speed limit sign. After that it’s pretty stable and I have no idea if that version uses the map as well as the forward facing camera or not, it just never gets it wrong.
I am hesitant to update for obvious reasons now.
I have ADHD and I tend to err on the side of caution when driving especially as Im not allowed to drive when the meds are wearing off or too soon after taking them.
So for me although not essential is a very important safety feature that I really appreciate having.

·
Registered
77 Posts
An interesting test is to check what limits are read using miles, then switch to Km and see if it comes up with the same number or adjusted.
I don't see an option in my dashboard to change to miles. Even if it would be there I would be afraid that once I change it I wouldn't be able to go back like some people describe here.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
After the underwhelming update of this month, the only highlight for me is the fact that in future owners may be able to avoid paying a KIA dealer to install Satnav updates.

While welcoming the move to owner-installed updates, on reflection, I think KIA could have, and should have, engineered a far better update than the shambles that was foisted upon owners this last week. It seems to me that voice control would have been a much better addition to the system as inputting addresses using the keyboard is just so passé. I can not only use the voice control to input destinations on Apple CarPlay but also use the on-screen mic to do the same using Waze.

The lead of the team which created the 'oven-ready', fit-for-market download should be sacked for signing it off as such. At a personal level, the only thing that I have been able to ascertain that doesn't function correctly (it did before) is the speed limit display problem. It is an irritant because it worked perfectly well pre-download.

Another annoyance is that the radio favourites cannot now be switched around by editing. I have yet to discover whether speed cameras are being picked up and alerts produced but I'm hoping that continues to function as before.

So far, my lowbrow critique is just a few observations on changes that I have noticed. Whether I find in due course that the maps are seriously more up-to-date remains to be seen but my biggest criticism of KIA is their failure to link the in-built voice control with the 'Here' nav system, yet both ACP and AA function well using voice control. Now, that would be progress!

·
Registered
818 Posts
I don't see an option in my dashboard to change to miles. Even if it would be there I would be afraid that once I change it I wouldn't be able to go back like some people describe here.
If you enter SETUP, then select GENERAL, you should find that UNITS is off the bottom of the screen. Flick the left side of the screen UP, and you should find UNITS where you can change between miles and km.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,839 Posts
Agree in some ways @Indalo it has not been the best introduction to home updates.
But we (I) do have voice control. Hit voice button & say Navigate to here & it brings up the options on the Kia screen. Hold the button down for a couple of seconds & it then switches to Google or what you default navigation app is under AA or ACP (waze in my case)

·
Registered
818 Posts
@Indalo

I too now have a speed limit sign problem that I didn’t have before, but speed cameras and alerts are still there although the updates set the volume to zero so I had to work out which volume to increase.

I don’t bother inputting addresses, I find them on the UVO/CONNECT map then ‘Send To Car’

Everything else seems to be OK, except most of the POIs are not displaying in the Nav but I can live with that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Picanto 3 my21
48 Posts
Agree in some ways @Indalo it has not been the best introduction to home updates.
But we (I) do have voice control. Hit voice button & say Navigate to here & it brings up the options on the Kia screen. Hold the button down for a couple of seconds & it then switches to Google or what you default navigation app is under AA or ACP (waze in my case)
I think everyone is be in unkind to Kia, who are pretty small fry in the software world. Apple, one of the largest, brought out ipados 15 in September after 6 months of testing. Now almost 3 month on they are currently resting their third revision. Microsoft have monthly revisions of their software for the duration of its life.
That is the world of software.

501 - 520 of 818 Posts