Kia Owners Club Forum banner
481 - 500 of 840 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Picanto 3 my21
48 Posts
It would be interesting to know how many self updates have been carried out without complaint. We seem to be seeing comments from only very few owners.
My Picanto my21 went well, except for a hiccup over navigation speed signs, now corrected. The experience was much more satisfactory tha last months dealer update which to get it right, involved two 60 mile round trips and sitting around waiting room for several hours, and paying £40 for the pleasure.
After 30 years of working on computers I have yet to find one that requires constant bug fixes. Hardly a day goes by that my iPad and android phone download updates, though most of that happens unseen in the background. So thanks to Kia for making this procedure available!

·
Registered
78 Posts
A lot of it probably won't get fixed until dealers start installing it and reporting back. However a lot of dealers tend to install whatever version they had previously downloaded, so some might not even pick up this latest (bug ridden) version.

I know someone who has more or less same age of car as me. I went for dealer update back in October, they just said they use carplay so not bothered about cars maps .
I also tend to use Android Auto instead of the built-in navigation however the speed limit information was very helpful for me because Android Auto does not show it in my country. Beside that I'm not always using navigation (no matter if AA or build-in) but still this speed limit info was always nice to have just to make sure I'm not speeding. And now after the last update it's broken... I just want them to fix the speed limit info - that's all.

Reactions: Daveyboy123

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have to ask this as I am a tad confused,

The speed limit signs on the NAV screen are pre installed as part of the maps, given i have these available on my Piccy and don't have a detection camera, if not where does it get the limit from, as sometimes they are wrong to the road signs.

The dash speed limit signs I thought were off the detection camera,

So if a speed limit has changed post the map data date then you could have differing speed limit warnings on NAV to Cluster displays am I right in that thinking,
The speed limits if you have the speed recognition camera will change on the dash when it detects the speed sign and also change the speed limit sign in the navigation screen as well. So both mirror each other (or should do until this latest update)

·
Super Moderator
Niro 2020 HEV 4
6,868 Posts
It would be interesting to know how many self updates have been carried out without complaint. We seem to be seeing comments from only very few owners.
My Picanto my21 went well, except for a hiccup over navigation speed signs, now corrected. The experience was much more satisfactory tha last months dealer update which to get it right, involved two 60 mile round trips and sitting around waiting room for several hours, and paying £40 for the pleasure.
After 30 years of working on computers I have yet to find one that requires constant bug fixes. Hardly a day goes by that my iPad and android phone download updates, though most of that happens unseen in the background. So thanks to Kia for making this procedure available!
Yes this new service is great & something we have been waiting for, a long time. It is a Kia Europe that have brought it forward, not UK and as such Kia UK have not announced it to the masses yet.

As I said elsewhere. We are a very small % of Kia owners, so are not representative of Kia owners as a whole, as we tend to be at the front of the queue with anything like this. So we will pick up issues 1st.

If the bug fix updates were OTA & required no user interaction then it would help, rather than having to do a full download, transfer & then install. Which is at least a couple of hours.
For me not much of a issue being retired. But for anyone working it is a large chuck of their spare time.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Proceed CD GT Line 1.4 T GDI
72 Posts
My Stonic is Compact Gen5 'latest SW' - given current variations yours may be different.

If you miss this 'glimpse' once the route is set and navigation begun hit the NAV Key which will bring up a Nav menu with a Route Tab on which you will find the Route Options sheet.
Cheers. I'll have a look on my version tomorrow and see if this is available.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Can you post a picture of your versions. As would be interesting to see if the dealer actually gave you the version that was released 10-11-21 or a older one?
I got the July one I believe 14.41.41......

Couldn't be arsed complaining as knew this new method was on the cards, and didn't fancy having to explain to them their maps files were out of date ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Regarding the speed limit issue - today my car suddenly started showing 80 in the 50 limit zone... After a while changed back to "---"... I will try to cover the front facing camera in the upcoming days and make a short trip around the city and see if this affect the speed limit in any way.

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,222 Posts
Regarding the speed limit issue - today my car suddenly started showing 80 in the 50 limit zone... After a while changed back to "---"... I will try to cover the front facing camera in the upcoming days and make a short trip around the city and see if this affect the speed limit in any way.
This behaviour has been reported previously, by others, prior to DIY software updates and attributed to the camera reading the 80, and other, speed signs on the back of trucks!

Reactions: fibonacci1101

·
Super Moderator
Niro 2020 HEV 4
6,868 Posts
So 50 MPH = 80 KPH.

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,222 Posts
So 50 MPH = 80 KPH.
Ahhh I did wonder about that but fibonacci1101 said the display 'suddenly started' and then reverted to '--' so could have been a camera read - but you are correct most likely the KPH/MPH matter

• Haha
Reactions: iooi

·
Registered
58 Posts
Had a similar thing today in my e-niro driving down from London to Amesbury, the head unit switched to showing the speed limit in KM instead of MPH, then changed the screen to show the settings menu for a few seconds before switching back to the map and showing MPH. o_O
The dash reading though remained in MPH.

·
Registered
2020 Picanto 3 my21
48 Posts
Ahhh I did wonder about that but fibonacci1101 said the display 'suddenly started' and then reverted to '--' so could have been a camera read - but you are correct most likely the KPH/MPH matter
I am becoming confused with this conversation. I think that in an earlier post fibonacci1101 said that he was not based in uk, therefore he will be working in kph. Picking up the 80 from a commercial vehicle seems likely.

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,222 Posts
I am becoming confused with this conversation. I think that in an earlier post fibonacci1101 said that he was not based in uk, therefore he will be working in kph. Picking up the 80 from a commercial vehicle seems likely.
Well spotted - note to self Check Flag before opening keyboard :) - but does support the picking up from truck theory (going from 50 kph to 80 kph) if indeed fibonacci1101 is in Sweden - and by reverting to '--' links to the issue with camera equipped cars not always getting Speed data from maps.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes, I'm not based in UK and my car was always in KM/H. If I recall correctly there was a truck in front of me when I've noticed the speed limit started to show 80 KM/H so you're probably right the camera picked the speed limit sign from the truck.

·
Super Moderator
Niro 2020 HEV 4
6,868 Posts

Skulks off to kick the .... 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have had the same issue here in the UK when the camera picks up an 80 sign (or any other similar sign) on the back of a continental HGV. The system only reads the 80 and does not care or know that it refers to kph and so just displays what it sees.

·
Registered
78 Posts
KIA commits suicide by releasing the same faulty software and maps for Russia & CIS region:

No they are going to get a lot more questions and complaints from Russians. Maybe this will motivate them to fix it sooner.

Reactions: fenegroni

·
Registered
78 Posts
Actually, I've just realized the map version is slightly different

EUR.14.47.48.631.101.5 vs RUS.14.47.48.632.101.5

Reactions: fenegroni

·
Registered
Sportage GT-Line 1.6t petrol. 174bhp
14 Posts
I updated my infotainment system yesterday as the current maps I had was using eur.10.41, so a little out of date. I can also confirm the speed display problem. I have "--" showing on side streets with no speed signs, and it works fine when the car sees the correct sign. It's only annoying because it didn't work like that before I'm sure a patch/update fix will come. I do like all the other changes it updated, as my cars system was several versions older.

The updating process was relatively painless and does rely on a good Internet speed to help quicken the task.

481 - 500 of 840 Posts