Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 876 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, despite all the comments from Kia CS saying that there were no plans to allow us to update our satnav / infotainment systems ourselves, finally it would appear that Kia have seen the light and they're finally just around the corner, as Europe has been added to the list of regions/countries in the drop down list. You can also see all the languages they will now support by clicking on English on the rightmost drop down list.

Product Wheel Font Tire Screenshot

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I won't hold my breathe. :rolleyes: Europe appeared a few times before, with the welcome message and in English, but it was quickly withdrawn.
That was right at the beginning when the site was first announced, probably prematurely, and shortly after that every country apart from the US was removed. Since then, a number of countries / regions have been added, one by one, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Middle East and Turkey, with the last one being Russia.

The fact that they've gone to the trouble of translating the instructions into a dozen or more European languages says to me that this is finally the real thing.

·
Super Moderator
Niro 2020 HEV 4
6,876 Posts
Fingers crossed...

I did have this on my screen end of Sept..

Which to me reads as OTA updates are here. But could not work out what had changed.. 🤷‍♂️

Product Gadget Font Line Display device

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,228 Posts
Fingers crossed...

Which to me reads as OTA updates are here. But could not work out what had changed.. 🤷‍♂️
I suspect that that maybe OTA updates of things associated with operating the vehicle, parameter settings e.g. charging monitoring and the like (clue being 'Some settings may not be applied while driving' )

OTA Map/Nav updates would be quite a lot of data and - on older Nav units - unless there is a lot of spare memory in the unit, I don't see how they can be stored, validated and then applied.

For OTA of these type of systems the usual mechanism is to have spare memory where you load the update to, then checksum validate it, then transfer to the operating memory area and reboot. The current mechanism of using a SD card loaded with the various new SW/datasets, which are updated one at a time from the card, tends to indicate that there is not much spare memory in the unit.

With memory costs reducing it is quite possible that newer Nav units do have the spare memory capacity for OTA updates but I can't see it coming to older units anytime soon.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For OTA of these type of systems the usual mechanism is to have spare memory where you load the update to, then checksum validate it, then transfer to the operating memory area and reboot.
With the 10.25" GEN5W systems there's an option when you update to do a normal or a quick update. The normal update allows you to continue using the unit while it's updating, only requiring a reboot once it's ready, which implies something like that should already be possible.

·
Registered
MY21 Stonic GT-Line S ISG MHEV iMT
265 Posts
Fingers crossed...

View attachment 12283
I think I get that when the Kia Connect app in-car settings have changed for my profile.

i really hope self service updates will come soon. Right now it’s just a splash screen for me.

Reactions: Wetherby

·
Super Moderator
Niro 2020 HEV 4
6,876 Posts
I suspect that that maybe OTA updates of things associated with operating the vehicle, parameter settings e.g. charging monitoring and the like (clue being 'Some settings may not be applied while driving' )

OTA Map/Nav updates would be quite a lot of data and - on older Nav units - unless there is a lot of spare memory in the unit, I don't see how they can be stored, validated and then applied.

For OTA of these type of systems the usual mechanism is to have spare memory where you load the update to, then checksum validate it, then transfer to the operating memory area and reboot. The current mechanism of using a SD card loaded with the various new SW/datasets, which are updated one at a time from the card, tends to indicate that there is not much spare memory in the unit.

With memory costs reducing it is quite possible that newer Nav units do have the spare memory capacity for OTA updates but I can't see it coming to older units anytime soon.
OTA updates will not be for older units. They will only be available to units that have UVO/CONNECT installed. Other units will have to use the download site. (y)

As to settings not being applied while driving. That does apply to map updates. As it will not update mapping while you are moving. Takes up to much CPU usage to do while driving.

It could be that OTA updates are not a full navigation update, just a update very much like a app updating.

Reactions: Radiorail

·
Registered
2019 Kia Proceed CD GT Line 1.4 T GDI
73 Posts
Finally, I may be able to sort mine out...

·
Registered
2019 Ceed first edition
218 Posts
Hope this does come as used to do it no problem on my previous ford focus.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
2,424 Posts
Will this work in the UK?
Until it us officially launched we won't know for certain, but best guess is yes. But as I mentioned before, Europe has appeared on the download site before and then it was removed, I'll not get my hope's to high.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Proceed CD GT Line 1.4 T GDI
73 Posts
Europe apeared on the website yesterday but is gone today and no Grand Opening notice to be found.
Yep, looks like it's gone (for now) - hopefully in process of adding Europe...highly doubt it though...bummer

1 - 20 of 876 Posts