Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there...I'm new to the forums, but have read some really useful things here, so thought I would join. Would like to say how disappointed I am with Kia. Having decided to buy a Soul Searcher I'm told that it is no longer in production, and not one to be found in the whole country. Fair enough, I obviously made a decision too slowly and too late! So I thought...I'll wait for the new models. Spoke with Kia who confirm that only Soul 1 and Soul 2 will be available and "a new model" at some stage, no info on what that model is or when it will be available.

Why on earth have they taken away all the choices? I'm afraid I'm off to look at other makes where you do at least get a choice of different colours and specs (I detest red, black looks like a funeral car, totally fed up with silver and white is too stark). They are most certainly going to lose a whole lot of business with this decision, especially for those of us whose present cars have all the bells and whistles and who don't want to downgrade just for the sake of having a Soul.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm waiting for the new specs to come out for the facelift Soul "original" versions. My dealer informed me that he only has the specs for Soul 1 & 2 in the facelift version which launches on Oct 1st. At present he doesn't have any details on the originals. I presume that the other models will follow on once the launch has taken place. I too wanted a Searcher but it will depend on what spec is applied to which model. I have a Shaker at present and would really like to retain a sunroof along with enhancements like cruise control. Perhaps Viking Paul can enlighten us.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
sorry you are disappointed. You have chosen a really bad time to buy one just as production swaps over to the 2012 model. I appreciate you are annoyed at struggling to get one, but keeping demand just behind supply - keeps the residual value of the Soul good...... which if you do wait it out and get one - you will then appreciate.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The specialmodels in the UK are determined by the UK marketing department who sit down and come up with a spec form a list of available options.

I personally have trouble in finding the spec I prefer. I find one with the right wheels and specthen find it has a cream dash as an example. IMHO, they never get it completely right. If you are going to introduce colours to the trim then they should follow the seat line and lower dash like you might find in an Audi or Volvo but these things pop up like a patchwork quilt and break the rule of not having bright colours to reflect on the inner windscreen - they are black/charcoal for a reason. I personally hope that Kia UK snap out of these specials and just go for Soul 1,2 and 3 (and maybe 4 as a top spec)with a complete range of colours and then add a lesser number of specials with a carefully thought out spec. I would love to see a breakdown of sales by model for the UK.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
anchorman said:
The specialmodels in the UK are determined by the UK marketing department who sit down and come up with a spec form a list of available options.

I personally have trouble in finding the spec I prefer. I find one with the right wheels and specthen find it has a cream dash as an example. IMHO, they never get it completely right. If you are going to introduce colours to the trim then they should follow the seat line and lower dash like you might find in an Audi or Volvo but these things pop up like a patchwork quilt and break the rule of not having bright colours to reflect on the inner windscreen - they are black/charcoal for a reason. I personally hope that Kia UK snap out of these specials and just go for Soul 1,2 and 3 (and maybe 4 as a top spec)with a complete range of colours and then add a lesser number of specials with a carefully thought out spec. I would love to see a breakdown of sales by model for the UK.

I agree with you there, would love more choice, just to get what I want on a car.To get the cream leather seats, automatic transmission and various other bits and pieces I was having to go with that rather horrid green colour of the Searcher and the cream reflecting dash. If they had made the Shaker with automatic and leather seats that would have been my ideal. I love the Vanilla Shake colour.

Having looked around at all the various models from other makes (looking for a high seat position), that give me all I want, none of them have the distinctive exterior of the Soul, which I adore, and the best one is just the updated model of the car I have at the moment. Guess I will just have to wait and see what the "new model" is going to be.

I read the Frankfurt Motor Show write up on the Soul, but it still wasn't clear on the spec of the Soul 1 and 2, and actually mentioned leather seats on higher Facelift models. Does anyone know the exact spec of Soul 2? My dealer seems reluctant to give anything away, but not at all reluctant to take an order for the upcoming Soul 2, which I won't do without more information.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Viking Paul posted this which is the most comprehensive UK spec I've seen;
Following its unveiling earlier this year at the New York Motor show in April 2011 the Soul has been modified and re-designed to enhance its looks, interior quality and engine performance. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><?: prefix = o /> Exterior Features The Soul exterior has been subtly but extensively updated and maintains its distinctive, unique character. The front radiator grille is updated to a ""˜cubic' effect grille which gives a smart, sportier look. As standard, all ""˜1' and ""˜2' grade models feature new stylish bulb-type, daytime running headlights which significantly improve visibility to oncoming traffic. Standard features which have been added to the ""˜1' also include body coloured door handles and mirrors, and tinted glass which give a refined, exterior style. The front fog lights, which come as standard on the ""˜2' grade, have been given a muscular, distinctive surround emphasising the volume around the fog light surface. Other key new exterior features which add differentiation to the mid-grade ""˜2' models include a new design of 16""� alloy wheels, and electric folding door mirrors with integrated indicator lights, which are also new to the Soul range. From the rear, the addition of a rear, ""˜tusk' shaped bumper portrays a wider and more stabilised stance on the road whilst the rear brake lights change to vertical wrap-around lights which are consistent with the KIA family range. The length of the new Facelift Soul has increased by 15mm due to a longer, front bumper overhang. <?: prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><?: prefix = v /></v:stroke></v:path></v:shape></v:text></v:shape><table cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="0" width="100%"><t><t><tr><td style="border: rgb236, 233, 216;"><div style="padding: 4.35pt 7.95pt;" v:shape="_x0000_s1027">MY11 Soul
</td></tr></t></t></table></v:text></v:shape><table cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="0" width="100%"><t><t><tr><td style="border: rgb236, 233, 216;"><div style="padding: 4.35pt 7.95pt;" v:shape="_x0000_s1026">MY11 Soul
</td></tr></t></t></table>Wheel Designs

The new Soul ""˜1' grade keeps the current 15""� steel wheel design with full covers. The new Soul ""˜2' grade gains a new stylish 16""� alloy wheel design. NB: All Facelift Soul models come with a temporary spare wheel. Interior Changes Inside the Facelift Soul, an increase in interior quality and specifications gives a more premium look and feel. The Soul interior has been upgraded including a re-designed centre fascia, centre console and gear shift. Interior Trims The Facelift Soul ""˜1' and ""˜2' grades have their own unique, interior trims. The entry grade Soul ""˜1' retains its current full black, cloth upholstery. The ""˜2""˜ grade features a new, modern luminous Soul Shine Cloth, featuring larger ""˜Soul' writing than the current Soul Shine Cloth. Engines & Transmissions The launch of the Facelift Soul models will feature improvements in the 1.6 diesel and petrol engines currently offered. Existing manual 5-speed transmission is revised and will now feature a 6-speed transmission, which enables significant improvements in CO<sub>2</sub> emissions and fuel efficiency as well as a smoother ride. The existing 4-speed automatic transmission is upgraded to a 6-speed transmission for added refinement and comfort. The 124bhp MPI Petrol engine has been replaced with a 138bhp GDi (Gasoline Direct Injection) engine featuring a 14bhp increase in power. Despite the improvement in power, CO<sub>2</sub> emissions have been significantly cut down to 149g/km. CO<sub>2</sub> emissions on the diesel manual model have been cut by 8g/km to 129g. The improvement in CO<sub>2</sub> emissions on both the petrol and diesel engines has enabled a decrease in VED bands across the Soul range. For the first time on a Soul model, the diesel manual model will now be within the D VED band, which translates into £0 VED for the first year. The table below shows clearly the improvements in CO<sub>2</sub> emissions and VED tax bands from MY11 to Facelift Soul. Safety The Facelift Soul benefits from a full range of electronic safety measures. It comes as standard with the potentially life-saving feature of Electronic Stability Control (ESC) to keep the car on course in slippery conditions or when cornering sharply. New to Facelift Soul as standard is the addition of Hill-start Assist Control (HAC) and Vehicle Stability Management (VSM). HAC holds the car briefly when the driver releases the brake pedal while moving away on slopes to ensure the car does not roll back. VSM helps to reduce the risk of accidents by connecting the ESC and steering system, which improves the safety of the vehicle by detecting and minimising skidding by controlling over-steer in adverse conditions. All versions have Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist System (BAS), ensuring maximum stopping power in emergency situations. Exterior Colours The Facelift Soul retains most of its current exterior colours with the exception of one colour replacement on the grade ""˜2'. Moonlight Blue has been removed from the ""˜2' grade and replaced with the popular exterior colour; Titanium Silver, which is currently exclusively found on the ""˜Tempest'.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that comprehensive spec...shame about the boring colours still, and no mention of leather seats. Looks like I'll have to wait till next year to see what they're bringing out, all the while my present car depreciates :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Amazing....October 1st been and gone, Kia site still not showing the facelift models or any details! Local dealer so unhelpful I really wonder whether he actually wants to sell me a car. In disgust I started looking at other makes and yeah...*ducks and runs* am now the proud owner of a brand newHyundai ix-20 - 2 days delivery, remarkably helpful salesman, and a car with all the bells and whistles for less than the Soul. A friend pointed out that salesmen don't take women seriously when they are looking to buy a car and don't have a man in tow as they think they are "just looking"(I'm a widow, should have gone to renta man!) ...fortunately for me (and him) the Hyundai guy did.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I was lucky that the dealer took me seriously & virtually ignored my husband
I got my Soul in June about 6 weeks late, it's a shame that Kia haven't been very helpful with the new Soul details and I daresay it's cost them a lot of customers.

Anyway, at least you have a nice new car now, I hope that you enjoy owning & driving it, it's just a shame that you'll be off to the Hyundai forum now I guess.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum. And am awaiting delivery of my new Soul 2 Facelift (currently have a 2005 1.1 LX Picanto in red) does anyone know when I will be able to download the brochure as Kia doesn't seem to have changed their website yet? Also I noted on the forum people were wondering about what 'special editions' Kia were bringing out they are bringing out a Hunter and a Quantum but again I can't seem to find out anything about them except for the price.

Hope someone can help or point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Rachel

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RachetV said:
Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum. And am awaiting delivery of my new Soul 2 Facelift (currently have a 2005 1.1 LX Picanto in red) does anyone know when I will be able to download the brochure as Kia doesn't seem to have changed their website yet? Also I noted on the forum people were wondering about what 'special editions' Kia were bringing out they are bringing out a Hunter and a Quantum but again I can't seem to find out anything about them except for the price.

Hope someone can help or point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Rachel

Hi Rachel, not sure if this will help as it's from a South African site...but here goes anyway.

<STRONG style="FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">Hunter and Quantum ""“ the latest ""˜Soul Originals'[/b]
In the spirit of a fashion collection, the Originals are frequently updated with new colour schemes and specifications and have proved popular since the first trio appeared in 2009. Hunter and Quantum are the latest to arrive and each brings a unique style and high level of specification.
In addition to the well-specified ""˜2' trim level, both of the new Originals gain metallic paint, distinctive LED daytime running lights, an uprated eight-speaker stereo system with external amplifier and boot-mounted subwoofer, heated door mirrors and privacy glass to the rear windows and tailgate. Cruise control is standard on automatic versions and will feature on manual versions from the end of the year.
The Hunter adds to this with 18""� alloy wheels, an electrically operated sunroof and a colour reversing camera which conveniently displays inside the rear view mirror when reverse gear is engaged. Hunter is available in Olive Green metallic, with a beige and tartan interior, or Moonlight Blue metallic with black and black tartan upholstery.
The Quantum is only available in Titanium Silver metallic and comes with 18""� black five-spoke alloy wheels, piano black bumper inserts and chrome exterior door handles. On the inside is a black leather upholstery, heated front seats, climate control and reverse parking sensors.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for this, guess I will have to keep looking on the Kia sight to see if they will change the details so I can download the brochure. My next question is I know the new Soul 2 has electric folding mirrors but is it just the Hunter and Quantum that have heated mirrors? They would be fantastic in the winter, even better would be a heated front screen like in my hubby's ford - no more scraping ice off in the morning!

Rachel

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just confirmed from Kia dealer (NOW he's started trying to sell me a Soul) that the Quantum and Hunter are definitely the two new "special" models. Unfortunately the two models put together would have given me what I want...so I'm still glad I got the Hyundai ix-20 as that gave me all I wanted in one car (including heated mirrors):p

·
Registered
283 Posts
Somebody in Kia UK wants to stop taking drugs.
Why on earth do they spec these specials with tan and houndstooth interiors that appeal to seven othertree people that are blocking a bypassinstead of the masses.

What on earth is wrong with a fully spec'd Soul 3 with all the colour options.

I could understand it if tan or grey ran under the dash line but no - its like a patchwork quilt.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Good point Rachel, Do Kia licence the heated front window from ford on any of there models? I know merc & BMW do. But I also remember if being over £800 as an option on my passat! No doubt after having to pay a mega load of royalties to ford, them owning the patient after all. Was just wondering as it would be an option worth investing in if it's at a sensible price Edited by: RichieD76

1 - 20 of 21 Posts