Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im a newbie but wanted to post for quite a few weeks...
Ive had my 1.7d eco Sportage 2 2wd since May.....ive had the following niggles since i had the car which is leased and not supplied by my local dealer which doesnt actually make a deal of difference.

Here are the issues;
Stop/Go system is intermittent ....sometimes works sometimes doesnt
Panaramoic sunroof has bad wind noise at 65mph+
back door had to be slammed

I took it the local dealer and they said to me that if they couldnt find faults with mycomplaints then i would be charged for the time (over £100+ per hour). I took a punt. The back door was sorted, the sunroof they said they couldnt find fault with when the technician took it out (its like a window is open) and the stop/go they said was because there wasnt enough power in the battery so it was a safety feature. This has been the case since the car was deleivered brand spanking new. they said run it for a few days with stop/go off and it should be ok. I did, but its been no different.

if i take it back again i know they will say its not a fault and charge. This 7 year warranty st times aint what its cracked up to be. Its only a fault if THEY say so, not if you think it is. I called Kia (uk) and they said they agreed with the dealer.

So do i continue with the issues or keep going and getting the dealer to accept the car aint right. My business partner has the same car (no issues like mine at all, no wind noise etc)

I also now have a rear tyre that looses pressure every 3 days. Im having this checked tomorrow as i think its a faulty valve (more issues)

Great car other than this.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Can you do any thing through the lease company or R they Kia? could perhaps as a long shot, let off a smoke pellet and see if any of the smoke comes out of the sun roof and if it does do the same with the dealer.

sorry not much help, may be take the dealer for a ride in one that does not make the noise then take them in your car.

I have a dislike of dealers and promises, could threaten a private enginers report and legal action, but they'l prob see the bluff and if not a bluf prob cost you a bomb

or perhaps find the gap if it is a gap, must be a wind prob that pushes a seal back a bit, only has to be a very small gap to make a noise.

the stop / go is pob an electrical connection, the rear door/hatch is prob alignment, or could try a bit of wd40 or grease on the latch

good luck

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think others on here have had the sunroof fixed as a known fault. Maybe they can confirm. Mine didn't want to do the ISG initially but now does other than a couple of occasions or when the auxiliaries are draining power.
Don't want to hijack the thread but is anyone else getting creaky interior trim (overhead near windscreen and dashboard near glovebox)?

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Re the ISG problem. Have you tried charging the battery overnight? If it still plays up then there could be a more significant problem.

·
Registered
124 Posts
When i had my sorento a few yrs ago i had the same probs squeeking roof liner around the sun roof, took it to the dealer and they put double sided tape on it.

It worked for a while but when it was a warm day it used to come unstuck, had to take it back a few times but just kept putting the tape on it.

In the end i jammed some card under the roof liner that cured it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
What dealer is it? Is it Phoenix Kia out by Linwood/Paisley by any chance? Salesmen are okay but the service staff and service manager is a complete tool, rude and dismissive to the point of defending a flawed argument.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
jemnetley said:
ISG doesnt work if aircon is on

X2 on this. I had to point it out to Mrs T when she noticed that the ISG wasn't working in a 30 minute, two mile traffic jam on Friday.

·
Registered
33 Posts
MaybeKIA said:
I think others on here have had the sunroof fixed as a known fault. Maybe they can confirm. Mine didn't want to do the ISG initially but now does other than a couple of occasions or when the auxiliaries are draining power.
Don't want to hijack the thread but is anyone else getting creaky interior trim (overhead near windscreen and dashboard near glovebox)?
I have a slight creak from the dash and a rattle in the passenger headrest together.ther with the noisy sunroof, all things I intend to bring up at the first service.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have the noisy sunroof problem too and also had the slamming rear door problem.

My dealer sorted the rear door problem out (it wasn't hung correctly, they neeed to realign it). Took about 5 minutes in the shop for them to fix that.

The sunroof is still ongoing, they said there was no wind noise when they tested it (ignoring the fact that you only get the severe wind noise when doing 60mph+ and the service guys may not be able to get it upto that sort of speeds).

I have noted that when driving at speed, if you get your fingers andpress them gently downward against the metal edge/lip that is attached to the glass sunroof, the road noise disappears totally and the car environment is almost whisper client.

This suggests that the sunroof may need tightening/adjusting somewhere becuase if I can gently press against the frame to get silence then the frame isn't set right.....i thought I had read on a forum about the sunroof being a known problem but my dealer knew nothing about it. Will have to try another dealer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I always find naming and shaming dealers (and letting them know you're going to do so) works very well, I understand that KIA puts pressure on dealers to fob you off when possible, as it ultimately costs KIA when there's need of rectifying a fault. As owners we need to let it be known far and wide that KIA's Sportage isn't all it's cracked up to be and/or that their dealer aftersales isn't all it's cracked up to be. Maybe then they'll start listening to p****d off owners!?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Surely that's just common sense !!!!!

I'm very happy with my dealer who has been nothing but helpful.

I can't complain at all about KIA who have reacted quickly to a minor problem with what I consider to be an excellent vehicle considering price and specification.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Techno said:
Re the ISG problem. Have you tried charging the battery overnight? If it still plays up then there could be a more significant problem.
Only do this if you have the correct battery charger for AGM type batteries...!!!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
murphwiz said:
Techno said:
Only do this if you have the correct battery charger for AGM type batteries...!!!
Are you sure the Sportage is fitted with an AGM battery? Under "Battery" the manual just says...
Your vehicle is fitted with a maintenance free calcium-based battery.

<ul>[*]If the battery becomes discharged in a short time (because, for example, the headlights or interior lights were left on whilst the vehicle was not in use). Recharge it by slow charging (trickle) for ten hours.[/list]

<ul>[*]If the battery gradually discharges because of high electric load whilst the vehicle is being used, recharge at 20-30A for two hours.[*]
[/list]Edit...

Under "Jump starting" it does mention AGM batteries on ISG equipped vehicles... and also that specially developed battery chargers need to be used.

Edited by: Techno

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
AGM batteries, the plot thickens...

The AGM battery has an extremely low internal electrical
resistance. This, combined with faster acid migration, allows the AGM batteries
to deliver and absorb higher rates of amperage than other sealed batteries
during discharging and charging. In addition, AGM technology batteries can be
charged at normal lead-acid regulated charging voltages, therefore, it is not
necessary to recalibrate charging systems or purchase special chargers.
Source
However, the general consensus seems to be that because of the special characteristics of an AGM battery, a modern automatic battery charger with a 'gel' setting will do the job more efficiently.

Some interestingbackgroundinfo and a work around for Heath Robinson types can be found here....

How to charge an AGM battery.

Edited by: Techno

·
Registered
437 Posts
Its best to get the battery charged for 24 hrs with a proper AGM battery charger (yes yours has one), as for sunroof, the was a bulletin to adjust the roof and how to given to all Kia dealers, I think its the case you have a poor dealer with a poor attitude im afraid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Went back into the dealer in question, NK Derby, and after another tussle they sent out a technician with me and he agreed that there indeed is wind noise from 60mph+ and that its not acceptable. Im now booked in this week to in theory get it sorted, i say in theory, as they didnt seem to really know what they would have to do to sort it.....i must point out at this point in case my original post was misleading, that the noise is when the sunroof is CLOSED, its just like you have a rear window open...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi Mr Kia,

Do you have any more details about the bulletin to adjust the roof? My dealer (Kia Swindon)claims there is no such information from Kia although they did re-seat the seal on the sunroof and this has helped considerably.

Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
887 Posts
Dealer only needs to spend 30 seconds on the kia tech internal site to find the bulletin.
Unfortunatelythe site won't work properly in safari, chrome or firefox, and imacs wont run internet exploder!

Bulletin numberKFE11-91-V190-SLYN issued 23/09/2011

·
Registered
536 Posts
It works on my iPad 2 although very tempremental
Www.kia-hotline.com sign up and go to TSB. The bulletin ref is : KFE11-91-V190-SLYN and is dated 23/09/2011

EDIT: just seen you put it up at the bottom of your post...quick draw my man!
Edited by: RichieD76

1 - 20 of 21 Posts