Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Confusing title but basically I’ve NEVER had the Auto Stop/Start kick in, it will only cut-out (like a normal stop/start system would do) when I take it out of gear and lift the clutch, BUT it will only let me do that if the message doesn’t show up about the “Auto Stop/Start Disabled”!

so basically once in a blue moon it will let me manually stop the engine but it seems the stars have to align first for it to happen and it’s all because of the stupid Auto ISG, is there a way to disable the AUTO part of it but be able to come to a stop, take it out of gear and then stop it by lifting the clutch like any normal manual stop/start system should do?

·
Registered
Sportage 1.7 Diesel
217 Posts
The disabled message usually comes up due to a number of factors, which can include low temperature, low battery level, high drain on battery etc., all of which are fail-safes in the system so that you don't get stranded with a flat battery/non-starting car. All very clever really. ISG drives me mad because I like to be in control, so I always disable it on starting anyway! Out of gear and clutch out is how it works normally!

·
Super Moderator
9,436 Posts
Assuming OP's is manual. Pretty sure auto stop/start relies on clutch being depressed. Even taking out of gear & lifting clutch might/will start car.

Sadly going from memory as neither of our cars have the auto stop/start function.

Stopping the car manually is a simple matter of pressing the stop/start button.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't understand the issue. It sounds like it is working normally, like every other car I have had with stop/start.
But that’s the thing, I’ve driven other vehicles with normal stop/start too and it stops the engine when you take it out of gear and lift the clutch, then starts again as soon as you touch the clutch, but in the Cee’d it doesn’t work properly, the message “Auto stop disabled” gets thrown up on the display as I slow from about 2mph with the clutch still in then when I’ve come to a complete stop it STILL stays on the display so taking it out of gear and lifting the clutch does nothing, yet if I drive say another 50 yards and come to a stop the message might not come up and it lets me stop the engine manually like any normal stop/start vehicle by taking it out of gear and lifting the clutch, it’s the AUTO part of it that’s faulty.

ISG drives me mad because I like to be in control, so I always disable it on starting anyway! Out of gear and clutch out is how it works normally!
I’ve also tried to turn it off via the button to the right of the wheel but that just disables the stop/start altogether and coming to a stop then taking it out of gear and clutch up still does nothing.

·
Registered
295 Posts
It's not working, I'll bet your battery is weak. It'll run the car fine but not the stop/start which is automatically disabled when you're battery health drops, it does this to prevent you getting a flat battery in traffic etc.

How old is your battery?

I'll bet a good spec AGM battery gets it going again. Bosch S5 or equivalent.

Kia oem batteries arent the best.

·
Super Moderator
9,436 Posts
I’ve also tried to turn it off via the button to the right of the wheel but that just disables the stop/start altogether and coming to a stop then taking it out of gear and clutch up still does nothing.
Turning off the ISG switch will stop ISG from working that is the whole point of the switch.

I think you need to forget about how previous cars (not kia I guess) worked. As Kia has their own way of doing things.

TBH, ISG works well on Petrol cars, not so well on diesel cars. (y)

·
Registered
Sportgage 1.6 t-gdi AWD DCT GT line
511 Posts
There is no manual version of the system, it is just a stop start system.

I've owned a Honda, Renault and Ford with system and they all work the same way as the Kia, and all of them don't work everytime, as it depends on battery charge and what systems you have running on the car.

·
Registered
ProCeed GT (JD, 3 Door)
152 Posts
Confusing thread is confusing o_O

As mentioned, there is no "manual" stop/start (other than turning off the ingintion when you are parking it up)

Stop/start on any car i have ever driven has worked by coming to a stop, taking it out of gear, and lifting your foot off the clutch pedal

There are many reasons why it may be temporarily disabled, air-con/heaters running, battery condition poor, car not up to operating temperature

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Stop/start on every car that is manufactured with it is default to be on at start up, that is the law. An override switch will be somewhere on the dash should you want to disable it but it will be automatically on again the next time you start the car. Some people have found hacks in the software to turn it off permanently but if caught there could be legal issues since the car would not meet EU emissions requirements.

We have had 5 manual cars (3 brands including a Kia) with stop/start and they all work exactly the same. When you come to a stop and lift the clutch pedal with the car in neutral the engine will stop (providing all the conditions are met). To re-start the car press down the clutch then simply engage gear and drive away.

Only owned one auto with stop/start but I have driven 2 others and they were all exactly the same. Come to a halt and the engine stops. Press the accelerator to drive away and the engine restarts.

·
Registered
MY21 Stonic GT-Line S ISG MHEV iMT - sw220211 - map14.47.48.631.401.5
582 Posts
And on a hybrid with iMT, the car will switch the engine off even while cruising on the motorway on a gentle downslope or while coasting approaching a red light (they call it sailing mode)
And it can be triggered much earlier during the braking phase approaching a junction or while queuing in slow moving traffic by pressing the brake and clutch at the same time, even at pretty high speeds.
I easily get much better mpg just by applying those tricks above and really looking farther ahead and anticipate traffic.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
And on a hybrid with iMT, the car will switch the engine off even while cruising on the motorway on a gentle downslope or while coasting approaching a red light (they call it sailing mode)
That isn't stop/start, its part of the mild hybrid system. Self charging hybrids will cruise greater distances on electric and PHEV's even further. There is no driver input such as pressing down the clutch pedal.

Stop/start is only relevant when the car comes to a stop.

·
Registered
MY21 Stonic GT-Line S ISG MHEV iMT - sw220211 - map14.47.48.631.401.5
582 Posts
That isn't stop/start, its part of the mild hybrid system. Self charging hybrids will cruise greater distances on electric and PHEV's even further. There is no driver input such as pressing down the clutch pedal.

Stop/start is only relevant when the car comes to a stop.
RTFM

Font Publication Material property Book Paper

Font Paper Document Paper product Publication

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
That is crazy, no wonder people complain that they cannot operate Stop/Start.

Not driven a mild hybrid of any make, never want to, its a waste of space, even the barmy government know that and sales will stop when sales of ICE cars stop. Full hybrids and PHEV's get a further 5 years). But I have driven a Toyota Corolla Hybrid and as you should know we own a Superb PHEV.

The Toyota required no driver input, you simply drove it. Coasted up to junctions/lights etc, pulled away on electric power, drove on electric power on level road at 70 mph, totally idiot proof.

In the Superb the only decision you need to make is when you have charge in the battery, do you want to use "hybrid" mode. Other than that its the same as the Toyota but with power in the battery it will go further with no ICE running.

Having read the above I do wonder if all makes of mild hybrid are the same. Totally barmy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
But that’s the thing, I’ve driven other vehicles with normal stop/start too and it stops the engine when you take it out of gear and lift the clutch, then starts again as soon as you touch the clutch, but in the Cee’d it doesn’t work properly, the message “Auto stop disabled” gets thrown up on the display as I slow from about 2mph with the clutch still in then when I’ve come to a complete stop it STILL stays on the display so taking it out of gear and lifting the clutch does nothing, yet if I drive say another 50 yards and come to a stop the message might not come up and it lets me stop the engine manually like any normal stop/start vehicle by taking it out of gear and lifting the clutch, it’s the AUTO part of it that’s faulty.

Still soudns like totally normal behaviour.
Like others have said, a numebr of things are taken into account before allowing the stop-start to kill the engine - including tha cabin temperature, and what you have the heater controls set to.
There is no "manual stop start" it's all auto. The "Auto" message is the confusing part - suggesting that there is a "manual" version. What you are describing as "manual" is just thr ISG working properly, and what you call "auto" is just the ISG deciding it's not a good time to stop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Confusing title but basically I’ve NEVER had the Auto Stop/Start kick in, it will only cut-out (like a normal stop/start system would do) when I take it out of gear and lift the clutch, BUT it will only let me do that if the message doesn’t show up about the “Auto Stop/Start Disabled”!

so basically once in a blue moon it will let me manually stop the engine but it seems the stars have to align first for it to happen and it’s all because of the stupid Auto ISG, is there a way to disable the AUTO part of it but be able to come to a stop, take it out of gear and then stop it by lifting the clutch like any normal manual stop/start system should do?
I had never had a start/stop until I purchased a ceed estate and it never worked and always came up with the error message. As I had recently purchased the vehicle and it had a warranty I took it in and it came back it needed a new battery (£270) and its not covered under kia warranty if battery is 2 years old or more. Since then it has worked. It might be worth getting it checked as the charge it holds will continue to reduce if it us the battery.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I understand what Fshskyline is getting at as our Stonic behaves similarly. The engine should stop when the car is stopped and out of gear but it quite often doesn't stop and the dash symbol shows the Autostop is turned off, no amount of button pushing will get it Autostop to turn back on, and the engine has to be stopped (if required) with the big stop/start button, I presumed it was due to the car's computer deciding the conditions were not right such as the engine being cold, the battery being low, recent speed profile not matching the right pattern (it doesn't autostop if I reverse on to the drive) etc.

·
Super Moderator
9,436 Posts
Something many do not realise is that the last 15% of the battery is topped up by overrun of the engine. So if you are someone that only uses the brakes to stop the car, rather than using engine to do some slowing down. You will never really get ISG to work most of the time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts