Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I assume other owners have the same problem - namely that the tailgate and rear bumper of the Soul gets covered in road dirt incredibly quickly, far more quickly than the front or sides of the car. Of course, all hatchbacks suffer from the same problem to some extent, but it does seem to be a particular issue in the Soul - potentially exacerbated by the absence of a roof-lip spoiler.

My 'solution', if you can call it that, is to rinse the back of the car with a bucket of clear water and a soft cloth either every time or after every couple of times it has been out. Then I wash the whole car every week or so (more like 2-3 weeks during Lockdown).

Anybody got a better idea? Do you use any special products (Rain-X or similar for paintwork)?

Super Moderator
Standard car design issue now.
Even adding the roof lip spoiler (Nero, Stonic & Picanto have these) & (useless Kia) mudflaps makes no difference. That is my experience from my 3 Kia's

Seriously thinking of some over sized (old school) proper rear mud flaps to see if that helps. But fear it will not.

Reactions: Philosopher

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
That was quick iooi - thanks.

Yes, I guess you're right. You'll have the Niro looking more like a Series 3 Defender from behind, with the oversized mudflaps that is. Let us know if you do it - and it works!

Like you, I fear it's an insoluble problem - but you never know, someone may have come up with something.

Registered
Its winter, the roads are wet and dirty most of the time and the flat rear end of a Soul will suck up the dirt. There is nothing you can do other than either wash it every time you use it, don't use the car or do what I do and ignore it. Since the mid 80's its happened on every hatch or estate type car we have owned. The slight exceptions have been large hatch/saloon type cars with a gently sloping rear window, on those its not such a problem but it still affects the vertical bit right at the back end.

Registered
There is an argument about changing the angle of deflection where the roof line terminates. I looked into it because my ceed needs the rear wiper running at motorway speeds or the rear screen gets filthy pretty quickly. Funny thing aerodynamics, blanking the rear wiper allegedly improves things but you'll never eliminate it altogether. Well, that was my conclusion. I think it's low pressure literally sucking the grot towards the rear end.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Just this morning I came across the following:
Gtechniq Long Term Review Part 1: Crystal Serum Light + Exo (canadiangearhead.com)

This is not a sponsored review but a fairly detailed and balanced assessment of using two products in combination: Gtechnig CSL and Gtechniq Exo version 3 (now replaced on the market by version 4).

I like the sound of this - and note that I can get a very small bottle of each for c 拢70 in total, on Amazon (not cheap but far less that any professionally applied ceramic coating). This should be sufficient for at least one treatment, and one or more 'top ups', of the rear window and back panel of the Soul.

My thinking is that it may or may not discourage the adherence of grime to the back of the car, but it will make cleaning potentially even easier - and, given how often that has to be done, anything that speeds the process up at relatively low cost is worth a punt.

My question is - does anyone have experience with these products, or anything similar?

Super Moderator
my ceed needs the rear wiper running at motorway speeds or the rear screen gets filthy pretty quickly. F
I just do not bother with rear wiper. Got the door mirrors & cross traffic warnings.
As I keep telling daughter. Stop worrying about what is behind you and concentrate on not getting too close to the car in front.....
Just think of it like driving a box van... You have no rear view mirror :)

Registered
I just do not bother with rear wiper. Got the door mirrors & cross traffic warnings.
As I keep telling daughter. Stop worrying about what is behind you and concentrate on not getting too close to the car in front.....
Without wanting to start a pointless discussion about my driving, at my motorway speeds I like to keep an eye out for any cars suddenly pulling out behind me. In general these cars are less than 3yrs old, have strange little lights behind the grille and are driven by some very wise folks. Various marques, bmw, audi, volvo, skoda.... 馃槈

Registered
I drive a van with no rear windows for work and use to drive coaches many years ago. When I was learning to pass my PCV test the instructor told me the interior mirror is for looking at what's going on in the coach, and the side mirrors for seeing who's behind you.
As the years have gone by it's something you don't get out of and I very rarely look in my rearview mirror in the car, and always reverse using my door mirrors (the rear camera is only handy when you get close to things, just like reversing sensors).
My partner on the other hand can't reverse without winding down the drivers window and looking backwards out the window. Scares me to death as I keep saying "what's on your nearside, what's behind you?" Yes previous cars had nearside damage from walls that "just jumped out at me!"
Strange how we all drive differently.....and how we all think we're the best drivers in the world and everyone else is an idiot....lol!

Registered
It is strange how we interpret situations differently. We have a small 50cm high picket fence between our drive and our neighbours. I consider it the perfect reference point when reversing into our drive using the door mirrors, then camera/sensors. I much prefer to reverse in than reverse out. My partner however, hates reversing in due to that same fence, always worried she'll clip it. She prefers reversing out into the road rather than into the smaller space that is our drive.

Super Moderator
I much prefer to reverse in than reverse out. My partner however, hates reversing in due to that same fence, always worried she'll clip it. She prefers reversing out into the road rather than into the smaller space that is our drive.
Funny, as most would think that anything moving on the road would be a greater danger than a hedge that is going no where. 馃槀

I aways reverse onto drive, as I find it harder reversing out as I can not see the low fence at the front as the front swings round.. (perhaps car makers need to add a mirror that shows the front of the car :eek: as you are reversing) Never mind anyone coming in either direction on the road.

Strange species humans.

Reactions: ArthurCollins2

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Update: I decided I would try the Gtechniq Exo V4 on the back of the Soul including the window 鈥 as I wanted the hydrophobic qualities of the V4 but not the extra difficulties of using the Crystal Serum Light.

I was pleasantly surprised. In dry but 鈥榞reasy鈥 conditions the V4 reduces the adherence of road dirt to some limited extent, but only by about 10%. In moderate to heavy rain there is an element of self-cleaning as well, which can be up to about 50%. In addition, the V4 on the glass reduces the need for 鈥榦ccasional wiper blade wipes鈥 by about half 鈥 for me at any rate.

Even more importantly, V4 makes rinsing the back of the car with either a hose or a bucket 鈥榓 breeze鈥. It reduced my former routine with a bucket and cloth from about 5 minutes to about 2. So, in my opinion, it鈥檚 worthwhile - if only by being so easy it makes me take the trouble to rinse the back of the car routinely.

However, I did find one problem. I have hairline scratches on the glossy black plastic surround beneath the 鈥榠sland鈥 with the Kia logo on it. They obviously happened either when I rinsed or washed the car myself, or when I have been away and used a local handwash place. To be honest without the Exo I could hardly tell they were there, but as soon as it was on - and dry, they were obvious. It was bad enough that I had to buff the Exo off the black plastic, use some fine optical grade cutting compound to reduce the scratches, and then leave the Exo permanently off just this bit of the rear panel.

So, a qualified recommendation. But check very, very carefully for scratches and if there are even the faintest don鈥檛 put the V4 on the shiny black plastic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts