Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a few times in recent weeks, that after being stopped for a while - say 30-90 minutes, that starting the engine again is a bit odd. It fires up more or less normally but then seems like it cant hold the idle and then stalls. If I give it a bit of accelerator as its turning over I can hold it up with slightly higher revs for a few seconds then it manages to keep going - the idle speed wanders a bit for a few more seconds before settling down and then all seems fine. Starting after a few hours seems fine, and restarting after just a few minutes seems fine, its just a slightly longer off period that is showing at the moment (but then I've only seen it 2 or 3 times so it could be completely random :D). There are no fault codes showing on my OBD2 dongle/app.

Any ideas whats going on?

·
Registered
135 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree on the fuel filter, they get waxed up with fuel and can cause issues with starting and limited power.

One thing you could try is a decent fuel system cleaner and a long run on the motorway to get it to regenerate the DPF.
could be worth a shot - not had a motorway run for months what with not being allowed to go anywhere :(

·
Registered
135 Posts
could be worth a shot - not had a motorway run for months what with not being allowed to go anywhere :(
My filter was replaced around then too during a major service, my wife reported that she was getting limited power at times under load and I think it might have been the fuel filter waxing up. I used the fuel system cleaner and it seems to have sorted it, I've a new filter to fit if it does it again :)

I think a good run will help once the additive goes in.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Modern Diesel doesn't wax like they used to
I would make sure that the clearer is an approved product as it wont be the first time that injector seals or common fail pump has been damaged by such products.
I don't know the set up but i would this there will be a non return valve somewhere in the fuel circuit (filer head??) but these can fail and allow the fuel to run back to the tank

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.