Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a few times in recent weeks, that after being stopped for a while - say 30-90 minutes, that starting the engine again is a bit odd. It fires up more or less normally but then seems like it cant hold the idle and then stalls. If I give it a bit of accelerator as its turning over I can hold it up with slightly higher revs for a few seconds then it manages to keep going - the idle speed wanders a bit for a few more seconds before settling down and then all seems fine. Starting after a few hours seems fine, and restarting after just a few minutes seems fine, its just a slightly longer off period that is showing at the moment (but then I've only seen it 2 or 3 times so it could be completely random :D). There are no fault codes showing on my OBD2 dongle/app.

Any ideas whats going on?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sounds like fuelling to me, either blocked fuel filter or in tank pump (possibly even air in the system) but no mechanic.

What did you last change the fuel filter?

·
Registered
131 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like fuelling to me, either blocked fuel filter or in tank pump (possibly even air in the system) but no mechanic.

What did you last change the fuel filter?
yeah I wondered about fuel filter, but it was ticked as changed at the last service in August 2020

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree on the fuel filter, they get waxed up with fuel and can cause issues with starting and limited power.

One thing you could try is a decent fuel system cleaner and a long run on the motorway to get it to regenerate the DPF.
could be worth a shot - not had a motorway run for months what with not being allowed to go anywhere :(

·
Registered
131 Posts
could be worth a shot - not had a motorway run for months what with not being allowed to go anywhere :(
My filter was replaced around then too during a major service, my wife reported that she was getting limited power at times under load and I think it might have been the fuel filter waxing up. I used the fuel system cleaner and it seems to have sorted it, I've a new filter to fit if it does it again :)

I think a good run will help once the additive goes in.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Modern Diesel doesn't wax like they used to
I would make sure that the clearer is an approved product as it wont be the first time that injector seals or common fail pump has been damaged by such products.
I don't know the set up but i would this there will be a non return valve somewhere in the fuel circuit (filer head??) but these can fail and allow the fuel to run back to the tank

1 - 7 of 7 Posts