Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 plate Sportage KX4
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the AWD Sportage, if you engage the diff locks at low speed to get out of slippy situation, do they automatically disengage as your speed increases (I know they are only for low speed use)
Or do you have to manually disengage them?

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,408 Posts
There are no diff locks on the Sportage. I think you probably mean AWD Lock and the section in the handbook states:-
• This mode is used for climbing or descending sharp grades, off-road driving, driving on sandy and muddy roads, etc., to maximize traction.
• This mode automatically begins to deactivate at speeds above 30 km/h (19 mph) and is shifted to AWD AUTO mode at speed above 40 km/h (25 mph). If the vehicle decelerates to speeds below 30 km/h (19 mph), however, the transfer mode is shifted into AWD LOCK mode again.

·
Registered
66 plate Sportage KX4
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep that’s the one awd lock.
thanks for the info!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Only used it once, but that was last weekend and it worked nicely. Visited a local National Trust venue for some outdoor fresh air, and the car park is on two levels. Snow on the ground, the car in front was being driven by a hamfisted cretin trying to get to the top level, who repeatedly wheelspan at full revs and kept sliding back. So once that numpty was out the way I pushed the AWD Lock button and it just went straight up the slope, no drama at all. On summer tyres too, although when they are worn I'll switch to all-seasons I think.

Yes, I know it would have engaged the rear drive on it's own, but it's a button I've never used and I wanted an excuse to press it. It worked. :)

·
Registered
66 plate Sportage KX4
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only used it once, but that was last weekend and it worked nicely. Visited a local National Trust venue for some outdoor fresh air, and the car park is on two levels. Snow on the ground, the car in front was being driven by a hamfisted cretin trying to get to the top level, who repeatedly wheelspan at full revs and kept sliding back. So once that numpty was out the way I pushed the AWD Lock button and it just went straight up the slope, no drama at all. On summer tyres too, although when they are worn I'll switch to all-seasons I think.

Yes, I know it would have engaged the rear drive on it's own, but it's a button I've never used and I wanted an excuse to press it. It worked. :)
Everyone likes pressing a new button!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
So once that numpty was out the way I pushed the AWD Lock button and it just went straight up the slope, no drama at all. On summer tyres too, although when they are worn I'll switch to all-seasons I think.
One of my previous cars was an old Audi S4 estate which a previous owner had put on adjustable coil over suspension - never missed a beat in the snow. I’d say don’t worry too much on seasonal tyres especially if there’s added cost.

As far as AWD lock; I’ve flicked it on in the poorest surfaces and conditions but yes it flicks off automatically as soon as you get going. The button only forces them on; pretty sure I’ve read traction control will divert power to the rear when the front slips so you only need it where the front wheels keep gripping and slipping etc

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
One of my previous cars was an old Audi S4 estate which a previous owner had put on adjustable coil over suspension - never missed a beat in the snow. I’d say don’t worry too much on seasonal tyres especially if there’s added cost.

As far as AWD lock; I’ve flicked it on in the poorest surfaces and conditions but yes it flicks off automatically as soon as you get going. The button only forces them on; pretty sure I’ve read traction control will divert power to the rear when the front slips so you only need it where the front wheels keep gripping and slipping etc
Yes power is automatically diverted to the rears when the fronts are losing grip. or partially when cornering hard and on the edge of adhesion but this is not TC it is AWD

Traction control on my Sportage only blends off the power (I think by modulating the drive by wire) when all four are slipping but you have to be pretty ham footed to get to this.

Some vehicles achieve TC by selectively braking wheels but this is not what my Sportage does. It does seem to do this when activating HDC though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts