Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now then, never thought it would get this cold!!...was chatting to an AA repair guy at work hes been out to loads of breakdowns over the last few weeks and hes had one or two cases of diesel fuel waxing up!!no particular make of vehicle ,just worth remembering if you get the old girl packng up on you when its below freezing it could be this , he said the car(s) had been ok and driveable at minus 15 but packed up at minus 18 !! the weather we have been having lately isnt that wide of the mark !

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
May be summer diesel still in the tank or a good proportion of it though even winter diesel starts to be a problem at the low temp we have been getting. It's about time this weather went away now I have seen enough of it.They are talking about it coming back again,why is it that the weather men cannot predict what it's going to be next week but they are so sure what it's going to be like in 50 years ?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I know that in canada and the like - they do actually produce a thinner winter diesel (that makes the car a touch less economical)..... do they actually do this in the uk????.... does our winter fuel mix get adjusted?. There was a post on the USA forum showing a Russian Diesel Soul driving at minus 39 degrees..... so there must be a way round it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Spoke with AA technical at the weekend and they recommend usign branded not supermakret and tht Shell has the lowest waxing point (-20 degrees C)

Have bought some additative on ebay as well

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
A neighbour of mine has 4 Merc sprinter vans that their diesel waxed and caused them to breakdown. They used Shell diesel from different garages. My van a 2006 VW LT35 was ok and I use only Shell diesel. Must be an issue with Merc sprinters not liking the thicker diesel due to freezing temps.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I used to have this in the early 80's driving lorries, we used to put a gallon of petrol in the tank to stop it freezing.
But would never think of doing it now. I thought all diesel had somesort of ani-freeze agent in them.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
They do have a winter additive in to stop the diesel freezing or waxing but I think it only covers down to minus 15c or 20c.
Not sure if adding petrol in the modern high pressure diesels nowadays does harm or not.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
<div style="overflow: ; color: rgb0, 0, 0; : transparent; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; border: medium none;">Like
most fuels, diesel is a mix of hydrocarbons, and the components have
different freezing points. For Number 2 diesel, as the ambient
temperatures drop toward 0°C (32 F), it begins to cloud, due to the
paraffin in the fuel
solidifying. As the temperatures drop below 0°C, the molecules combine
into solids, large enough to be stopped by the filter. This is known as
the gel point, and generally occurs about -9.5 degrees C (15 degrees F )
below the cloud point.

The above info is from wiki. But I would think that is without winter additive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts