Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Newbie to the forum, from South Africa. Have ordered a Sportage 4x2 2.0l Man Diesel 4 months ago and am still waiting. I've been told that I will have to wait several months more because of delays at the diesel engine plant... but petrol versions are available, only in a 2.0l version, and I have been offered that. So I am in a bit of a dilemma. Should I wait for the diesel version as the performance figures on paper seem so much better than that of the petrol version?

What are your opinions regarding the 2.0l diesel vs the 2.0l Petrol (non turbo). Everything else in terms of aesthetics and extras are exactly the same.

Will appreciate your input.

Regards

·
Registered
260 Posts
Things to consider are:

Diesel cars are generally slightly more expensive maybe one or two thousand in the case of the KIA

They are more expensive to insure

You only benefit from a diesel milage wise if you clock up a pretty heavy mileage. I do about 6,000 a year so what I would maybe lose on a diesel

Diesel fuel is more expensive

Petrol cars tend to be greedier so you use more fuel

It all depends on what your mileage is and how long you intend to keep the car for.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have a 2ltr petrol Sportage and the fuel consumption is not good although to be fair to the car it is only used on short 4/5 mile trips continually and I dont expect it would be much better if it were diesel.There is no 2wheel drive 2ltr available in UK either petrol or diesel so considering our cold weather against yours your fuel economy should be much better but the petrol is smooth and quiet.Had my car 4 months now and done 900 miles and fuel consumption is (wait for it)25mpg but im not dissapointed as it is about what i expected and the car is great.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I collected my 2.0 petrol KX2 on March 17, chosen partly for the better delivery and partly because I do a lot of short journeys and I don't trust diesel particulate filters. I'm up to about 550 miles in 3 weeks, and consumption has improved from 28 in the first week to 32 mpg doing a mix of town and country trips. I got almost 35mpg last week on a 90 mile each way return trip over the pennines (ie a lot of climbing followed by a lot of downhill that never seems to quite make up for the petrol you use going uphill).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for all your replies, much appreciated.

Here in SA, the price of dieselonly recently went up a touch morethan petrol, but more often than not, it is always cheaper (50ppm) . My traveling will not rake up the mileage as I'm just 7km away from work, so in terms of consumption, I'm not too worried. However tempreatures here sore above 35 degrees very often in summer implying the use of the aircon almost daily, so that will add to the consumption.

Yes, the price of the diesel vehicle is a lot more, R20 000 more actually, but will gladly pay that if it makes up for it in performance. The performance figure put it head and shoulders above the petrol version, as well and many other vehicles in its class, eg: VW Tiguan, Chev Captivia, Dodge Journey etc etc...on paper, it is actuall very very impressive, so it would be nice to hear from diesel vehicle ownerswhether KIA's figures on paper actually match the drive.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi NUF Sport,

Kia do not provide consumption figures - they are provided by an independant testing bodyand are determined by a strict set of criteria that, by and large, you would never encounter under normal driving conditions !!

I've done 7000 miles in a 2.0L diesel Sportage FE on a mixture of normal and motorway and the trip average after six months is 35 mpg.

In my opinion the diesel is a the better choice for the Sportage - if you intend to tow anything it is the only choice.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi, NUFSport

You say "The performance figure put it head and shoulders above the petrol version", but I'm not so sure. The engine bhp is 161 for the petrol as against 134 for the diesel, 0-60 10.2 vs 10.9, top speed 113 vs 112. OK, as you would expect, max torque is lower at 194 vs 320 but I really can't see "head and shoulders" in those stats.

·
Registered
197 Posts
NUFSport,

There are 2statements really - 'I want' versus 'I need'. One is emotional and the other is logical. I've ended-up with a (old model) 4WD diesel because I decided I needed 4WD to cope with the ever increasing (seemingly) winter snow in the Highlands and I needed the diesel because I tow a lot and the extra torque makes a big difference to drive-ability. I also admit that I wanted it as well!

Try asking yourself 'why do I need a Sportage?' and if the answer really is that you don't but you really want one just buy the version you fancy!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'll second the 35mpg (mix city/motorway driving) for a diesel (and this is not driving like I'm dead!)

Also remember the diesels have a DPF. DPF's need auto-clearing every now and then, which basically means driving it fast for a good 15 mins or so on a motorway.

If your only doing 7km a day a diesel vs petrol wont make much of a difference/dent in your wallet and as such (providing no towing) I'ld go petrol.

Other than that the diesels are grate (still sound like an old taxi idling, but when the engine is going it's super-quiet really).

Slim

Edited by: audioslim

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Yes modern diesels have DPF's but it is total nonsense that driving them fast dowm the motorway clears them out. Our Ceed SW has a DPF and a regen is carried out when the car decides not when I decide, simple as that. It occurs approx every 300 miles regarless of use and once the process has started it takes 15 to 20 miles to complete, all you need to do is drive normally but my experience shows it completes quickest when a regen occurs on the motorway and I drive at about 60mph.

The soot in the DPF cannot simply be blown out by driving fast, it attaches itself to the matrix and has to be burned off at about 600C, the ECU decides when and controls the process.

The only other way is to take it to a Kia dealer and have them force a regen using their kit.

Paul

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Sid

We have hada BMW with a DPF now for over 3 years and touch wood no problems, don't honestly notice regens, never heard of one until after I bought it. The Ceed regens are more frequent (I think) but that is possibly due to the BMW being EU4 and the Ceed EU5, the Ceed has to catch more NOX particles because of the updated regs. Wejust use the cars normally but they do get more A road M way use than town use over a week. There are tens if not hundredsof thousands of cars with DPF's on the road and many owners are unaware they have one fitted, they just drive normally and don't have problems.

I remember back to the early 90's when they started fitting cats to petrols. Mass panic, end of civilisation, everyone bought diesels. How many people do you know that have replaced a cat, I honestly don't know any. I expect DPF's will just become part of everyday motoring once the hysteria settles.

Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello All,
Interesting read on the wed addy that Sid provided. I must admit, I knew nothing of the DPF until now. Something else I need to consider I guess.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you are only driving around at 30mph, local you dont want a DPF diesel , hence the comment from me earlier, despite claims you can drive 'normally'.
If you never drive contuinuously for 15-20 mins (and this needs to be enough to heat the exhaust) so nipping to the shops doesnt count, then you would be better with a petrol.

Slim

·
Registered
290 Posts
NUF Sport said:
Thanx Slim,

It's something I'm going have to seriously consider. I do quite a bit of weekend roaming though :)
[/QUOTE Just a thought but does cars sold in S Africa have DPFs or is it just European versions that have them .]

·
Registered
95 Posts
You'll be fine then. Its not a car for the missus to pop to the shops/drop the kids off, but given the increased costs for a diesel that has always been the case anyway but as long as you can give it a bit of a run every now and then you shoudlnt have an issue.

Slim

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've driven 40k miles now with DPFs and never had a DPF warning light. My nearest motorway is 120 miles to the south and most of my driving is 7 - 10 mile journeys on country roads unless I'm 'going somewhere' when it can easily be 500 miles (with stops). I do detect the odd regeneration (by the smell).

·
Registered
153 Posts
suttonseven said:
We have hada BMW with a DPF now for over 3 years and touch wood no problems, don't honestly notice regens
Maybe, but my neighbour has just told me that her 3 year old VW Tiguan threw a DPF fault last week, in spite of her doing a lot of long journeys (Cumbria to highlands of Scotland immediately before the fault). I still don't trust them.

Also, the service coordinator from a dealership near here told me he thought that "modern diesels are far too complicated", and caused too many problems.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Sid

VW group are the only manufacturers as far as I am aware (12 months ago when we were looking they were)that put anote in their sales brochures warning customers not to buydiesel if you used it mostly for short journeys or in town. It is well documented that VW have had more than their fair share of DPF problems and it has been suggested that itis because the previous generation of engines (guess that your neighbours may have been one at 3 years old) were very dirty the DPF had more to collect especially in town. The Kia and BMW engines are bank up to date, the Kia 1.6 did not require a DPF for EU4 unlike VW thus have less to collect in the first place.

Its notmodern engines that are complicated, its the electronics that control them. That applies to both petrols and diesels.

Paul

1 - 20 of 20 Posts