Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes when I try to startmy Rio dieselit just turns over but doesn't fire up. The car has done 20500 miles. If I take the key out then try again it starts after a few seconds but not instantly. I do wait for glow light to go out before I spin the starter. This has happened about 3 to 4 times a week for 2 or 3 weeks. I have spoke to the Kia dealer and he said to try spare key so I did and it made no difference so it is booked in for Thursday for them to check it out. He thinks it maybe the immobiliser receiver that picks upthe signal from ignition key. The immobiliser light on dash goes out when you turn engine over whether it starts or not so I'm not sure if its the receiver or not.
Has anyone experienced this on their Rio diesel or petrol model.

Even when it does start it takes a few churns of the starterto fire up. My VW LT35 diesel van starts instantly and its done mega miles. So I am a bit concerned here.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I took the car to Kia today and the immobiliser receiver box is faulty so they are replacing in under warranty.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I am glad that they fixed this for you.

I did read you original posting the other day, but couldn't add anything of value to your problem.

I guess we are all learning of any problems at the moment.

btw, since you have 20500 miles clocked up, what sort of mpg are you achieving ?
I don't know of anyone has achieved 60mpg yet !

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the car about 6 weeks ago andI have done about 700 miles since then. I drive alot of short town journeys and I have not really worked out mpg. I reckon I get about 100miles to £10 of diesel. Thats about 45mpg. But I like to boot it a bit. I'm going on holiday on sunday to north ofScotland so I will fill it up before leaving that wayI can work out mpgmore accurate at next fill up. I dont think I will getthe mpg Kia say tho'.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I worked out my fuel consumption on my holiday and I got 57mpg sitting at 70mph on the way up. Didn't check on the way back but it looked the same. I fairly pleased with mpg. I suppose ifI sat at 55mph it would have been alot better but I would have fallen asleep at that speed.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have wondered that.

good results on your economy.

btw, I don't know of anyone that has achieved the governments claimed 60mpg yet in a Rio.

I get around 50 to 55mpg (between 70 and 80), i do wonder if the economy would be better at 60mph.

My only problem is that I have quite a hilly drive to and from work, so some times driving slower would use more fuel climbing a big hill.

hmm, swings and roundabouts.....

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I drove fom Glasgow to Tain up the A9 which climbs to a max of 1500ft but gradually. I reckonI would have got 60mpg if I sat at 55/60. Its a better car for overtaking than my old 1.4 Ceed was.

·
Registered
328 Posts
couldn't agree more.

The overtaking ability is very good. The car never feels strained.

I think The Rio is geared for mid range pull, well it certainly feels like that in 3rd gear with my foot planted to the floor !

·
Registered
1 Posts
I experienced the same problem about 5 weeks ago.

Kia dealer diagnosed problem as a failing immobiliser

This was replaced but they could not get the remote central locking to work

They advised that the electronic body control module needed to be replaced , although the remote central locking was working when iI took the car in.

The dealers workshops could not fix the problem at the first attempt, and the car has been in their workshops for a week on the second attempt with no news so far.

Although my car is out of warranty KIA did agree to contribute to the cost of the repairs, to the tune of approximately £210.00 against an overall bill of £475.00.

Needless to say due to their inability to fix the problem I d hope they will review the bill and maybe swallow it whole.

I am synical and have asked why a functioning unit, the electronic body control module, decided to pack up during or following their attempts to fix the first problem, but I was given an explanation that the failing immobiliser had "dragged down" the EBCM. I wonder if something was shorted down during their repair?

When the immobiliser was replaced the car was usable but only by locking it with the key.

I did suggest that as they seemed unable to fix the problem maybe fitting an after market Thatcham 1 security system would be the answer which would restore the remote central locking and improve the level of security for a lower cost. They felt this was a bit extreme and not the correct way to go, however they still have my car and I assume they still cannot fix it, but then they are not very good a 'phoning to keep me informed of anything but the costs for doing the work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts