Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Saw this article ....might help

With very low temperatures forecast in some parts of the UK, the IAM (Institute of Advanced Motorists) is warning drivers of diesel cars to remember that their fuel can waxover in extremely low temperatures, which could damage the fuel filter and cause a breakdown.
"Waxing is the formation of crystals in the diesel which block the filter. If you drive a diesel vehicle, it pays to try and park in a garage or sheltered area, and try to not to leave your vehicle standing unused for too long," "If you can't park in a garage, do ensure that the engine bay of the car is parked downwind, so that the wind hits the back of the vehicle first. After starting the engine, let it idle for 10 minutes before driving off, as this will let the heat from the engine warm the filter and pipes."
Lorries with exposed fuel tanks and fuel pipes are most at risk but cars and vans can also be affected if it's cold enough.Water in diesel fuel tanks and filters can also freeze. "Keep the fuel tank full and, if possible, fill it before arriving at home as this will prevent the build up of condensation on the inside walls of the tank, helping prevent water building up in the bottom of the tank."

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
That is very good advise

The other day at -19ºC it was a bit lumpy after start but I just left it running for about 10 minutes & went in for another coffee in the mean time.

·
Registered
887 Posts
There does seem to be a pattern forming of some diesel issues, not with cars, but quality of diesel.Maybe linked to the recent shutdown of a refinery and import of diesel supplies to cope?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
local supermarket sells 20000 litres a day no problems with other makes lowest temp here -6 so should not be a waxing issue!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
The diesel that the supermarkets get comes from the same refineries as Shell, Total etc.
Question is, have they stocked with the winter blend of diesel... it does have additives to cope with the lower temperatures.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
It dropped to -10 here last Friday night and we had no problems at all. The tank is filled with Tesco's diesel.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
farmer said:
could this just be a problem with the 1.7 diesel

I doubt it. Ours is a 1.7 diesel and, as I said above, it coped with -10 with no problems.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi I work on a oil refinery and diesels have winter additives in from early September to late April. So there should not be any issues with your fuel.

As what has been said before Tesco's, Asda's, Sainsburys fuel all comes from the same tanks as Total, Shell etc.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
gazbo said:
Hi I work on a oil refinery and diesels have winter additives in from early September to late April. So there should not be any issues with your fuel.

As what has been said before Tesco's, Asda's, Sainsburys fuel all comes from the same tanks as Total, Shell etc.
Gazbo is there not a difference in the amount of bio diesel in the mix from shell, esso, BP etc and also do they not have their own additives mixed at the refinery ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,also having problems with my 1.7 diesel as well (10 months old). It cut out 4 times today and engine warning light came on. Took it into the dealer only to be told its contaminated fuel and wont be covered by warranty. Am not impressed and not looking forward to the discussions with them in the morning when they try giving me the bill. I fill up at my local Tesco, seems strange that all cars doing the same in our town are not having the same problem!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Davy. I would think the amount of bio fuel % wise will be the similar to get the tax relief. Regarding the additives used by different company's that is a good possibility.

I do know there is vigorous testing before any product leaves site.

Gaz.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No, they haven't disclosed that pearl of wisdom as to what they believe the contamination is but I'll be expecting to see an anaytical report to confirm it in writing. Clearly its a 1.7 issue (other posts about contaminated fuel onhere and we all have the same model). Other owners have purchased Diesel from Tesco, JS and Morrisons and all over the country so not what you could consider a 'bad batch'. Think Kia are trying it on to be honest..

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
It does seem a bit odd. There is a filter and a water trap between the tank and the engine so the contamination is unlikely to be water or some kind of particulate matter.

Edit: I would certainly be asking for a detailed analysis of what the contaminant is and also the level of contamination. It must be pretty bad to actually stop an engine.

Edited by: Techno

1 - 20 of 31 Posts