Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sportage 2007 (Sadly now out of warrantee!!) and the DPF has given up big time. My garage tried repair by cleaning, regenerating and finallyremoving most of the lining as a solid mass had formed which prevented the exhaust gasses passing through. All to no avail.With no secondhand DPF's available(and i've tried for two months)looks like a new Kia replacement at £2800! (Yes that's right).Anyone had a similar prob. and did you find a less dramatically expensive solution?

Merry Xmas

Poolaboy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great Lance! I'll have a look at it tomorrow. At that price I could buy two just in case!!!
But seriously, thanks, it will be good to give my bus pass a rest!

Poolaboy.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Personally I don't understand why people havent got wise and removed them yet. There not a legal requirement and are horrid for fuel economy and give to much back pressure which is never good for turbo cars. I may have a look to see if I can have a replacement part fabricated to go in its place. Its only going to matter when it's MOT time so for the same of a few hours a year changing it over...it's worth it. And while its sat in the shed its having 3yrs less running on it. All the people with the tunning boxes probably have no idea what damage there doing to the DPF and running cheap diesel through there cars to save a few quid is anti productive, so removing it seams a no brainer when you quoted how much it is for one.

Before you finally give in though try a light oil mixed with Naphtha and Alcohol. Just be bloody careful though as you'll end up with your face burned off. It should soften if to a certain degree.. Wash away with petrol and (not sure of the Kia system) but if it's a steel gauze type have it on its end and burt pure alcohol under it so the heat and flame passes thought. Should remove a good chunk of carbon....not garrantied but even if you buy a new one you can experiment on the old one and save us guys a few £££

·
Registered
97 Posts
No problem matey,
have a search for exaust supplyers around your area and ask them if they can get you one, you never know you could get one cheeper. it hasnt happend to mine but on my Zafira b 1.9 cdti that i have traided in for my 06 sportage I was going on holiday with the family and just got off the ferry at the Isle of Wight and the EGR valve packed in £400 later with a new EGR valve and regen of the DPF %80 blocked we could carry on with our holiday. Have your EGR valve cleaned too matey could save trouble later ?????

What I was told by the dealer techy was, every month take the motor for a hard drive for 20 mins or so to clear the DPF what i used to do was take it for a drive down the motorway upto 70mph in 4th gear at constant revs over 4000rpm. I will continue to do this with the sprotage too.

Hope you get it sorted soon matey.

Lance

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi Richie, I agree with you, the same is with the ERG valve's. On the Zafira Btheres a blanking kit for them I dont know if theres one for the Sportage. I have some EGR valves for the Nissan engines and all sold very quickly so it is a very common problem on all Diesel engines and there unnessesary as if there blanked off the car still runs normaly ?????
Lance

·
Registered
536 Posts
I had looked into blanking the EGR valve as they contaminated your oil, reduce economy and believe it or not REDUCE engine temps, making the DPF worse! The way I see it is there counter productive to each other while making the emmisions slightly less but because they reduce economy you have to burn more fuel...causing more emmisions than if you never even tried. There's 2 letters I blame on all this cost to the consumer E & U! Untill the cars of the world run on the pure tears of red squirrels they won't be happy. They should be kicking iraq's arse for burning 400million cubic feet of natural gass everyday because they can't bottle it.....sorry little off subject there...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all,
Just to let you know that the partly blocked DPF probably caused the Dpf pressure sensor to melt also.This has been replaced with a secondhand part but those gasses must have been ***** hot as the sensor is on the bulkhead well away from the DPF. Hi Ho the joys of motoring!

Poolaboy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Titan 07.
Had the DPF removed & ECU remapped. Different car to drive. More responsive & improved mpg.

I was quoted £3K+ by my local main dealer to replace the DPF unit.
Unfortunately another problem has now cropped up. Not as a result of the remap but possibly a probe/ ECU fault. Not the first on this car I might add.

Titandzl.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hi All, An interesting discussion on DPFs....baught our first new Kia Sportage in Feb 2010 and to date it has worked like a work horse for us. Moving House....off road etc. We are very happy with it. During the first two years the DPF regeneration light came on many times to indicate the DPF doing a re-generation cycle. It became part of the norm for us to see it flashing we we drove along.When the car was in for its last serviceon advice from the service manager it had its tank drained for fuel and diesel filter replaced (not the DPF filter) owing to the dirt in the fuel. The service manager advised to onlt get the fuel from the same service station to minimise the contamination floating around in the fuel system injectors etc. Since then we have only used the one brand of fuel branded "clean diesel" and the light flashing re-generations had disappeared.

Hope this is of interest to you and may even save you money on expensive DPF repairs/replacements.

out of interest does anyone knowwhattype of substance is formed within the DPF that makes it so hard to remove. Would have though in this day and age that a chemical of some sorts could dissolve the offending material within the DPF....:-/

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an April 2010 Titan, and as far as I know, there is no DPF regeneration light included in the dashboard instrument cluster to let the driver know a regen is in progress.

The Owner's Manual, page 4-49 states that there is an Engine Control System Malfunction indicator which looks likethe outline of an engine.

There is also a CAUTION warning for diesel engines which states "In case of malfunction indicator light blinking, have the Particulate Filter System checked by authorised Kia dealer within 50 Km."

So, Brian, it looks like your flashing 'DPF regeneration light' was telling you that a potential fault had been detected somewhere in the emission control system, not that a regen was in progress.

By the way, I have only ever used supermarket diesel (Tescos / Morrisons) since the car was new without any DPF problems.

Jas

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Brian,The substance in the DPF is soot or carbon,& when a Re-gen is happening the soot is burn't at a higher temperature than normal & turns to Ash,but like any filter you never get 100% to empty out,so very slowly this will biuld up until only a filter change will give a clear exhaust again,then off we go again.
But i believe they should go for 80,000 to 100,000 miles if all is working well.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Jas,Interseting..service manager telling me slightly porkies then...or maybe i misunderstood him.

A temp sensor on the exhaust had to be replaced which would add up to the light flashing and I assume if there was no temp sensor feedback a re-gen could not take place. Wither way havent had any issues since touch wood. There is now over 100k km on my Kia. I do notice from time to time it chokes slightly so hopefully this is not the start of DPF problems.

Laters,

Brian

1 - 15 of 15 Posts