Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
This is something I'd like to know. Inmy car book it mentions it, but I have been told that the DPF was not fitted until MY11 (mine is MY10). Maybe Viking Paul could let us know?

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Some of the early 2011 Rio 1.1CRDi did not have a DPF fitted. However all Rio's since the end of 2011 onwards though do have them fitted.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Not familiar with Rio's but this is the law on DPF's

ALL dieselcars registered after 01.01.2011 will have a DPF fitted, that is the law and no exceptions.

ALLEuro 5cars will have a DPF fitted, that is the law and no exceptions.

ALL new diesel models introduced after September 2009 had to be certified as Euro 5 by law and this required they were fitted with DPF's from introduction.

Basically this means that every new model Rio diesel will have a DPF with no exceptions.

Ceeds were slightly different. The 1.6 CRDi was certified Euro 4 at introduction in 2006 and since it met the requirements without a DPF it did not have one. When it was facelifted in 2009 it was still Euro 4 since it was not a new model and continued into MY 2010 without a DPF. For MY 2011 It had to be re certified as Euro 5 and all cars produced at the factory after the summer break (late August 2010 on) had a DPF. Our car was the first Euro 5 Ceed delivered to our dealer in mid September 2010.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Hi Sport Wagon,

I agree exactly with you in what you say. I'm pretty well read up on the whole Euro5 stuff and DPF's.

The only reason I said that the early Rio 1.1 CRDi's did not have one fitted, is that according to 'Honest Johns website' the 1st 2011 Rio 1.1's met the Euro5 emmissions standard without needing a DPF. Shortly after though they ALL had one fitted.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
sharon75 said:
The only reason I said that the early Rio 1.1 CRDi's did not have one fitted, is that according to 'Honest Johns website' the 1st 2011 Rio 1.1's met the Euro5 emissions standard without needing a DPF. Shortly after though they ALL had one fitted.

Honest John is not one person, its several journalists and like most journalists they do not research the facts, they print nonsense that becomes truth since its the written word.

Fact is ALL EURO 5 dieselcars had to be fitted with a DPF by law, Kia could not sell them in the EU without one.

Euro 4 was more complicated, some cars could meed#t the requirements without a DPF yet others needed one. The Ceed 1.6 CRDi passed without one whereas the Ceed 2.0 CRDi needed one. The Ford Focus was even more complicated, the 1.6 and 2.0 needed a DPF to pass, the 1.8 did not, remarkably the 1.8 was the ancient ford Lynx engine form the 1980's (started life in the Sierra) wheras the 1.6 and 2.0 were both bang up to date Citroen/Peugeot units.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts