Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As above ladies & gents, just come across these on a consumer TV program. Seems if you only do short journeys, back & fore work, shopping etc then a new diesel car with one of these fitted is totally unsuitable for you as it will cause problems with the DPF blocking which can run into well over a £1000 to repair
How many of you were told by your KIA dealer of this possible issue, I certainly wasn't. I'm starting to rue the day I ever set foot on the KIA forecourt now. Anyone had any problems with your new diesel KIA used on just short journeys ?

John

·
Registered
234 Posts
I was put off buying a new Rio diesel for that same reason from my dealer (Chapelhouse Warrington) as he asked me my average mileage (8-10000) and suggested a petrol which I bought with no regrets.
This is a problem with with all new diesels and not just Kia.
Edited by: Armac08

·
Registered
143 Posts
its the way you drive your cars the DPF has never caused an issue if you were told how to drive the car correctly from the dealer then you would not have any issues,

every 2-3 weeks give the car a good hard long run dont break the law but get the car hot this will enable the DPF to regenerate its self,

·
Registered
682 Posts
I totally agree with Thunderbird just drive it as normal, it might sound a bit rough some days or you can get a smell when you get out of the car, after some time you get to know when it is doing a regen.
I have believed what ever car or engine you have, a good 30+ minutes run above 30 MPH every 2 weeks helps to give it a good clean out and allows the ECU to do its checks.

Bob

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi there , please before you all down talk the KIA'S about DPF's and re-gen , take a look at VW's , Skoda , Seat forums ( not forgetting Nissan ) all have the same problem

·
Registered
443 Posts
Do a lot of short trips,but use shell only and once a week heavy foot!!!!No probs as of yet!!!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Tino said:
Do a lot of short trips,but use shell only and once a week heavy foot!!!!No probs as of yet!!!

Using Shell will make no difference at all other than empty your wallet faster.

Giving it heavy boot once a week will not do anything other than produce more particles.

Just drive normally, the ECU will decide when a regen is necessary, you cannot influence it yourself.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
And if it does not regen, you are stuffed. My C4 was no problem, for 35000 miles, but then I retired, and my annual mileage dropped to 5000 per year. By the time I got to 42000 miles, it was giving so much grief, all due to the dpf (and no 7 year warranty), that it had to go. The Kia dealer salesman also told me not to buy a diesel, at only 5000 miles a year, but to buy a petrol, which I did.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Ok just have to go with the flow of driveing.As for shell it's the same price as Tesco round here, but we pay more then any other county,£1.41 per lit shell or Tesco, so shell for me,awards better then Tesco!!!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
DPF's are only an issue if you dont drive them correctly i live 20 miles away from work and drive a diesel never had any issues with it because once a week i do a long journey this will stop the issues coming, but any ine driving less then 15k miles a year is a muppet to look at a diesel as you will and i quote "WILL NOT GET THE FUEL CONSUMPTION", i have now got a petrol for work and it drives just as well as the diesel and it gets the same fuel consumption as i weas getting from it (roughtly)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Nickia2012 said:
but any ine driving less then 15k miles a year is a muppet to look at a diesel as you will and i quote "WILL NOT GET THE FUEL CONSUMPTION"

What nonsense. We have a Ceed SW and do about 10,000 miles a year, had it almost 3 years. The DPF regens when it needs to, that's the way Kia designed the car. No special driving technique. Most owners of modern diesels don't know what a DPF is and never have an issue. Over the 3 years we have had the car I estimate we have saved over £1700 in fuel and RFL, not bad when it only cost £1000 more than the petrol and according to Parkers guide its worth £1300 more in PX now. So totalsaving would be £2000. Our fuel consumption has always been exactly what I expected when we bought it and slightly better than the 1.6 Focus diesel we had previously.

My last car was a BMW 1 series diesel with a DPF. In 5 years I covered 37000 miles and the total saving was almost £3000 over the identical petrol. Never had an issue with the DPF, like the Kia it simply regenerated when needed. Fuel consumption was excellent for a car of its performance.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Nickia2012 said:
DPF's are only an issue if you dont drive them correctly i live 20 miles away from work and drive a diesel never had any issues with it because once a week i do a long journey this will stop the issues coming, but any ine driving less then 15k miles a year is a muppet to look at a diesel as you will and i quote "WILL NOT GET THE FUEL CONSUMPTION", i have now got a petrol for work and it drives just as well as the diesel and it gets the same fuel consumption as i weas getting from it (roughtly)
Load of tripe! I chose a diesel because I wanted that particular spec and I wanted the torque of a diesel. I do a very low annual mileage. That's my choice. I'm not interested in fuel consumption as, with my mileage, it makes little difference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I'm a new Kia ownerand have been looking for info on DPF problems with Kias. I fell upon this thread and just had to reply to the previous comments that DPFs aren't really a problem.
Our previous car was a Nissan X Trail Diesel which we drove normally, with a mixture of both town and motorway travel. We were sold it as an optimal towing vehicle for our caravan, which we take all over Europe.
We experienced no end of problems with the DPF, for which it had to go back to the dealer several times and which cost us dearly, so that in the end Nissan wanted 2K to replace the whole kaboosh so we had it removed.No one mentioned when we bought it that a certain type of driving is required for such a vehicle. Surely diesels have been used for decades,particularlyon the Continent, without this problemoccurring?
Now just got a Kia Sorento diesel auto and wanted to know whether anyone out there has experienced similar problems with this model?

·
Registered
273 Posts
A lot depends on the design of the DPF and its positioning. Kia generally seem to have got it right more than many other manufacturers, and there have been few if any reports of problems with the DPF. A search on Honest John's column in the Telegraph will confirm.

Incidentally, they are a legal requirement after a certain date and you can no longer have them removed and still pass an MoT test.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts