·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can we keep a record of regular MPG please - for potential owners to use
as a real world guide. No guesstimates or computer readings, a simple
MPG figure worked out by dividing miles driven with actual fuel
used....... just add to the Petrol or Diesel post as and when and
stating "manual" or "auto" transmission.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Very useful Tempest as my manual 10 plate tempest GRDi has dropped a little on the last fill to 44.7 mpg my calcs litres divide by 4.55 to give galls .

·
Registered
183 Posts
We drove down to the Costa Del Sol via France last week, arrived Wednesday. 1100 miles over 2 days.

I filled the tank as much as possible before getting on the ferry in Portsmouth and again on route. I must say I'm perplexed at how much diesel you can get in the tank once the original full "click" on the pump is achieved. I normally fill it to that level and then top it up slowly to the next click, this is to make sure that I fill to approx the same level each time. I do this to be able to compare mpg figures from one tank full to another.

By topping off the tank on this trip I got another 5 litres into it!. In fact I put 46.82 litres in at the second fill ( 48 litre tank don't forget). The fuel gauge was still showing more than a quarter full prior to this fill up.

This discrepancy at different fill levels could explain the variance we get between each others mpg figures.

Driving at a constant 100kph (62 mph) where possible, apart from some heavy snow in the Bordeaux region and the mountains in Spain, I achieved 54.68 mpg. Nice relaxing drive, the tractability of the diesel engine was a real plus on the mountain stretches.

P.S. Forgot to say, car is a Manual Diesel Shaker.

Edited by: Nat

·
Registered
161 Posts
crdi manual....35.2mpg...6 mile commute into town,car just about warmed up...then urban crawl...in old carens used to average 18-22 mph and return average 22-25 mpg[ lscrdi auto].only had the ex-demo with 7k on the clock for a week,so find that very acceptable.plus last weekvery cold and ten minute warm up whilst deicingEdited by: zumbie

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Filled up yesterday Tempest CRDi ,last fill up was before the cold spell,been using it just to go to work instead of my other car.It is only 5 miles each way and it has only done 37mpg.

·
Registered
161 Posts
i dont have a trip computar...so am brimming when testing....40 mpg...not bad at all considering the weather,25 mph snow crawl and deicing time.im a bit obsessive at the moment over mpg after the poor show over my previously car.i took a tip from another thread and not be afraid to use the the powerband and keep the turbo going instead of keeping the low revs in all gears.in the urban driving have been using 2nd and third gear far more........maybe this is why?i consider this an improvement considering the far worse driving conditions.any way i'll try and keep posting

·
Registered
111 Posts
ive been using my SPAM diesel a lot as the weather has been very bad and i dont trust the soul to still be in one piece with all the gritters and crap on the roads so when after all the crawling about i filled up the SPAM and it averaged 51 mpg and 48 mpg thats over 1000 miles,with the soul i have been doing a fair bit of running about when the snow cleared of lets say some dual carriageway stuff and some commuting too over about 550 miles i dont let the fuel level get to the point where the light comes on so its not like the SPAM inasmuch as its over a shorter distance,so with the two last fill ups the soul gave me a 43 mpg and an abysmal 38.2! i by the way i have not been driving the soul with anywhere near the gusto i drive the SPAM! overall im pretty disapointed with the mpg its nowhere near what was advertised or what i was told i was going to get , i dont drive it like the SPAM as i have tried that and get even worse figures driving it briskly than when im driving miss daisy, im well aware of the problems that can be encountered with the vvt,s if you dont use these engines sensibly so am driving accordingly and am well down on what im sposed to be getting. on the SPAM its 54 come what may (give or take the last ice age) it was the first 500 miles i put on it from new and now with 97.5 k its still the same so no running in there to blame for pitiful mpg! a shame really i suppose because it needs to have a bit of a redeeming feature considering the tax band its in ,i think its going to have get a serious remap or a different more economical mill or a sixth cog /diffrent box if its going to be a a major player ..

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Now the cold weather has gone and I have stopped using the Soul for my 4-5 mile trip to work we have had a couple of longish trips on the motorway and we are back to 46mpg,still not fantastic but a lot better than before. I have gone over the soul bodywork and I am glad to report that as far as I can see I still do not have any stone chips apart from the very odd very small one on the bonnet which as the car has 15k on it now I am more than happy with.I have checked the sills and with the standard mudflaps I cannot find any chips,not on or above the paint protection which is half way up the sills. I must be very lucky,its been run all the way through the snow so it has been out and about a lot. Still very happy with the Soul Tempest Diesel , had no problems at all with it though I still cannot make out how you use the stupid net for the boot. It will be 12 months old at the end of Feb 11 so I will keep my fingers crossed that all continues in the same way.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tempest Diesel Manual - Gentle driving, only a bit of it in the recent cold snap... 46.5 mpg. Just filled up at Tesco after the recent price rises £1.33 a litre...robbing bastards. (My petrol Seat 1.6 over the cold snap did 39mpg at £1.25 a litre)..... not a lot of difference cost wise, my older diesels always went further with the fuel.

·
Registered
111 Posts
definately suffering with the winter diesel mixture coming from the refinerys its not as volatile as the summer stuff so am using more to get the same performance, but the driving position and reliability are still plus points (although i may change my mind when the inspection glass comes out in the spring !

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wonder if its just the Soul Diesel that isnt particularly economical?.... the other Kia diesel models seem to fair ok from what i hear. What happened to the Soul Diesel owner that was claiming 57mpg, is he still around?, was it a fluke?, or has he just found the right way to drive them?.

·
Registered
205 Posts
My Soul 2 CRD is not as economical as my old 100bhp Audi A6 Avant.That regularly returned 60mpg, but as the Soul is £15,000 less, that's a lot of diesel. I will do a check but it seems to be averaging around 50mpg on mixed driving.

·
Registered
161 Posts
bought as ex kia with 7.5k on the clock.not too worried what with the weather tempest and it its an improvement compared to my last kia carens.credit to the sales man who,when asked stated id get around that figure

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Been a diesel its still a long way from run in. Mines on 15k now and still loosening up. Glad your pleased with it.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Our Soul is getting very upset, there are rumours being circulated that it is UGLY by certain people !
We all know that this isdelibratedesign feature to keep people who do not deserve to own such a splendid mode of transportfrom contemplating buying one. We must scotch this rumour NOW ,however we also must ensure that the general public still look upon the Soul as the choice of descirning people with the possibilty of a screw ot two loose that require a different type of car therfore removing the vast demand that will build up should the truth become common knowledge.

Join the SOSFUO"save our souls for us only"

1 - 20 of 145 Posts