Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone noticed that if you're approasching say a speed bump in second and brake below 10mph then as soon as you're over and take your foot off the pedal it speeds up to 10mph? It does this with all the gears I think. 3rdis 30mph and so on probably. The Kia garage say this is normal for the diesel!?

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you force the engine below idle speed it will apply power to maintain idle speed. This may be what is happening. An engine runaway is when the engine uncontrollably goes to maximum revs and destroys itself if not stalled, this can be caused by the turbo oil seals failing and the engine running on its lub oil.Edited by: deeps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Bangso30,
I noticed it as well.

I bought a new 1.6 crdi Cee'din October 2009 and within hours after taking it out the showroom had noticed the same, or similarproblem you describe.

The problem seems to occur if say you approach a roundabout or junction in to high a gear then the car will not slow down as you would like it too, i.e if you approach in third the car wants to do 30mph not less as you would like. There is a mini roundaboutI use on my way home everyday where I take the second turning off (270 degrees) and if I approach in third gear, as I would in any other car normally, I find that I feel like I'm racing round the roundabout without any acceleration- in fact I am doing about 30mph even if I entered the roundabout at less speed. It car goes against my natural driving habits. If I approach the same roundabout in second gear all is fine and I feel more in control because I do have more control. But as you say, its also a problem in other gears. I would have thought it was just a case of updating the software?

It could be dangerous. One incident occurred lastJanuary I think. It was about 8pm that they forecast heavy snow and I was about 8 miles away at my partners house. Sure enough about that time it began to snow heavy and was pitching as fast as it came down. I made my way home but had to negotiate a long down hill stretch. The road was iced over where cars had driven over the fresh snow and as I approched the crest of the hill in third (30mph no acceleration) I could see in the immediate distance that traffic was more or less crawling along down the hill wher it was so slippery. I knew I had to change down from 3rd gear which I did but the gearbox at that speed acted like a brake (which is another problem)and so I began to slide on a bend taking me across the centre lane. Naturally you brake when something like that happens and the wheels then locked up making matters worse (abs came in). I realise that the best for me to do was to release the brake to try to regain steering control. I think I eventually put her in neutral and used light pressure to the brakes to slow down? i don't know but I feel very lucky to have come out of that without an accident of sorts. It was a scary moment when things happened so quickly ,In short it was like downhill racing on an ice rink,but I don't believe this would have happened if I had more control over the vehicle as opposed to the computer tying to take me to a speed that I didn't want to go.

I doubt if I'll go out in the snow next time!!

Regard mike.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I quite like the 'diesel pull'.
Its quite handy in traffic. Just bung it in first and let the clutch out and the engine will drag the car along even uphill.

As mike has shown above, I could imagine this to be a hinderance as well as a blessing as I found out in the snow with the cheap (standard) tyres fitted and the Rio would just wheel spin on tickover in 1st and partially in second gears when trying to pull away.
3rd gear got around this, then once a small amount of speed had built up, then I dropped back into second gear.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The boost pump cuts in when the engine speed drops below idling.( Apparently.)
I've noted it happening since moving to the 1.6 CRDi from a Saab Automatic. First couple of times it was quite disturbing but I now just use a lower gear for mini roundabouts. I do like the low down pull of diesels and found that driving in the winter was never really a problem. 2nd gear for moving off in snow with no go pedal, just let the clutch out easy.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Oh. Meant to say.
The Saab was a real sod to drive in snow. You'd think the Swedes could make a car that worked in snow wouldn't you?
thing slid about like it was on bloody skis!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Further to this, I tried an experiment in my 1.6 today. At 900rpm the car is doing 10mph in 3rd.

·
Registered
94 Posts
For those who think its a problem try this experiment on a level preferably deserted or little used road. With the engine fully warmed up note down the RPM the engine achieves at idle speed.

Then pull away in 1st gear as you would normally do, but then take your foot off the accelerator/gas pedal note the engine RPM and the road speed.

Now change up into 2nd gear and repeat the process, noting the speed and RPM again.

You can do this for all gears if you like but it will almost certainlystall in the higher gears.

This may answer the questions you have about the engine running away from you,when all it isdoing is trying to maintain its minimum idle speed setting. Could be worth checking with your dealer what the idle RPM should be and asking them to adjust if is its say more than 100 RPM too high.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Better still, find the same level preferably deserted or little used road. Dont touch the throttle at all during this experiment. Select first and gently lift the clutch and off you will go. Change to second and try that. Then third, this is when you feel the engine management giving extra boost. Carry on up the gears engaging drive slowly and smoothly and you will get to 6th at about 38 mph. And no, it doesnt stall. You will be amazed how much bottom end torque there is. Only try this once all the way up the gears. I always use first and the clutch only when garaging my SW2 in a tight apace up a slope and it never misses a beat

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think the answer is that diesel engines have different characteristics to petrol engines. I have driven diesels for 20 odd years without a problem, and in no way can they be described as dangerous. Just learn how to drive them. Also diesels in snow are not a problem, cars don't skid, drivers loose control.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Dobienet said:
Oh. Meant to say.
The Saab was a real sod to drive in snow. You'd think the Swedes could make a car that worked in snow wouldn't you?
thing slid about like it was on bloody skis!
You'll have fun in the snow on the std michelins then, swedes make great cars, but us UK drivers refuse point blank to use winter tyres, I have a spare set of winters for the Cee'd, and just trying source some cheap wheels for the saab, as both cars are wearing michelins, which are fine in temps above 7c dry and wet, but you really should park up and walk once temps are at freezing, because thier low rolling resistance build makes for interesting driving!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts