Kia Owners Club Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Anchorman, it's the old lies, damn lies & statistics! Depending on your viewpoint you can find the info to prove your point
I daresay Dave'll be back with a bit more from Which, not that I want a forum fight cos I love him really! and he has got exceptionally good taste in cars

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've never been that thrilled with which but its hard to fins some decent data on this fuel thing. I do know that when I was running a RAV, myself and several others ran exclusively on high grade and never had EGR problems where others were having horrendous problems. I could never achieve the fuel economy to justify the cost - it was all down to internal cleanliness and engine noise.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
The difference between the test which is based on actual data and the statements based on" may or could" without substance but just based on opinion by people who think that it may be benificial is not the same thing at all. A higher cetane number will give better starting ,yes ,but look at the test results and you will see even though it was suppose to be higher for the expensive diesel it was not any significant difference so that agument is not really standing up.My wife say's that I have exceptional taste in everything Fussychick and who am I to disagree.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I bet you wouldn't dare disagree with two women!
Like I said, I tend not to use supermarket fuel as I do seem to get better mileage from branded fuel but I rarely use the 'Superfuel' and won't need to for a while with no mot to worry about, unless I decide to give my Soul a treat.

You pays your money and takes your choice, and besides this forum would be boring if we were all of the same opinion

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
It certainly would be boring,I love the forum all the people who drive Souls are more individual than normal people, not that we are not normal its just that some people are more normal than others.The thought of disagreeing with one women puts the fear of bijabas in me so the folly of disagreeing with two does not bear thinking about. !!!!!!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Well said Anchorman
. I used to be a mechanic at a small filling station years ago, with sales mainly from the population of a small town on A------- (I wont name it), the tanker delivered about every three weeks. Imagine how much condensation accumulated in those tanks? They were never drained. For every tankfull from them you received probably a pint of water!! winter fuel was something else? the station received it winter fuel about February, and it would last till Spring.Indeed, supermarket fuel, especially derv, is a low quality fuel compared to regular filling stations.
The price drop as Anchorman states, is reflective on the additives, hence, louder diesel knock, less mpg, oil changes are more frequent (well it should be) and performance suffers.
The same goes for cheap oil at service intervals. After an oil change (with good quality oil and filter) a diesel engine will be quieter, more responsive and mpg improves

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I think that it's a bit less noisey since that 25k service, it does now have fully synthetic oil in it so whether or not this makes a difference I don't know. The performance has improved and as an experiment (take note Anchorman this is your fault) I am running on premium diesel , just put the first tank full in today.The comments regarding the lack of care that some filling stations do with low throughput is why I never fill up in this type of station only large ones with big throughputs . I still say that as fuel has to be made to a standard spec then in general there is not much difference between makes apart from additives which can be benificial in some circumstances. The tests tend to give results to agree with this unless anybody can find some testing to the contary.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yes quite, but it's those additives that makes the difference. Two pence a litre in a 15 - 21 thousand gallon tanker that can pay for a lot of additives. This debate has been going on for years, the proof is with the individual, try a couple of tankfull's then make your own mind up, I wager that you wont go back to Supermarket fuel!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Cheeky sod anchorman.First report----- Was running with Shell standard diesel and I cannot see any difference between that and Total Execillion at this time.Performance same,starting same don't know yet about MPG but it was 47 with the Shell, noise the same.I have got into the habit of just buying the cheapest which at the moment is Shell, I do buy supermarket fuel as well.
For 20 years I used to sell oil and gas combustion equipment to all manufactures in UK and abroad, this included atomiser and control/safety products inc equipment for jet engines ,I also worked with all the manufacturers research and development depts ,universities and end users on these products.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Dave R said:
Cheeky sod anchorman.First report----- Was running with Shell standard diesel and I cannot see any difference between that and Total Execillion at this time.Performance same,starting same don't know yet about MPG but it was 47 with the Shell, noise the same.I have got into the habit of just buying the cheapest which at the moment is Shell, I do buy supermarket fuel as well.
For 20 years I used to sell oil and gas combustion equipment to all manufactures in UK and abroad, this included atomiser and control/safety products inc equipment for jet engines ,I also worked with all the manufacturers research and development depts ,universities and end users on these products.

Well that's it then! empty wallet !

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I am moving house Friday so between the estate agent,solicitor and the removal company I have used all the money anyway so empty wallet seems to be the norm at the moment.I am not to happy as my phone line will not be connected until the 26th Oct,I will miss the forum,but I'll be back.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.