Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Gear box does get better as you go on, I am not convinced that expensive fuel is worth the extra cost involved.I have not come across evidence anywhere that say's that it is only in the fuel companies own literture which I take with a pinch of salt. The engine does sound noisey when cold but again it seems to settle in with mileage increasing over a period of time.The performance in general does improve with the diesel as the miles go on.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Toyota must make some really bad diesel engines , cannot find any other manufacturer thatare having those sort of problems as Toyota,if the whole engine is filling with carbon then they have something very wrong. On my last 25k service the engine oil used was fully syntheticand the engine is fine and not noisey. I am using all sorts of diesel inc some supermarket fuels and as there is a set minimum spec for all fuels that has to bemanufactured to then I don't think the use of supermarket fuels will make much difference. They automaticly flushed the engine out on the service so should there be a problem this will go some way to sort it out however no dirt wasapparant on the service.They also renewed the brake fluid on the service, for £169it was not bad at all. If we were talking about fuel quality in Canada for instance then yes maybe problems there but not in UK.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Would not use fuel additives as they can cause all sorts of problems, there should be no need to go to these sorts of lengths in Uk . The only thing that I do at this time of year is to make sure that I am using petrol stations with a high turnover so I have winter grade diesel in my tank as it should be starting to be delivered soon. I have looked at different sites inc Which and I cannot find one positive reason for using the very expensive diesel in my Soul.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Just a small section from Which

This 1.5-litre dCi direct-injection, turbocharged diesel engine is found in many current Renault and Nissan vehicles, with outputs varying from 68bhp to 106bhp ""“ we used the mid-powered 86bhp version for our tests.

It's equipped with a diesel particulate filter (DPF) to help remove harmful soot emissions from the exhaust ""“ this works very effectively. <div ="t1"> <table ="mini" summary="Renault Mégane 1.5 86bhp"><t> <tr> <th style="text-align: left;" ="hdr" rowSpan="1" colSpan="8">Renault Mégane 1.5 (86bhp)</th> </tr> <tr> <th style="text-align: left; vertical-align: bottom;" ="main" rowSpan="1" colSpan="1" scope="col">Fuel</th> <th style="text-align: center; vertical-align: bottom;" ="main" rowSpan="1" colSpan="1" scope="col">Cost per litre<sup>a</sup></th> <th style="text-align: center; vertical-align: bottom;" ="main" rowSpan="1" colSpan="1" scope="col">Tested economy</th> <th style="text-align: center; vertical-align: bottom;" ="main" rowSpan="1" colSpan="1" scope="col">12,000-mile fuel cost</th> <th style="text-align: center; vertical-align: bottom;" ="main" rowSpan="1" colSpan="1" scope="col">Measured Ron</th> <th style="text-align: center; vertical-align: bottom;" ="main" rowSpan="1" colSpan="1" scope="col">CO2 output</th> <th style="text-align: center; vertical-align: bottom;" ="main" rowSpan="1" colSpan="1" scope="col">Measured power output at front wheels)</th> <th style="text-align: center; vertical-align: bottom;" ="main" rowSpan="1" colSpan="1" scope="col">Power increase over standard fuel</th> </tr> </t><t style="vertical-align: top;"> <tr> <td style="text-align: left;" rowSpan="1" colSpan="1">BP Ultra-low sulphur diesel</td> <td style="text-align: center;" rowSpan="1" colSpan="1">£1.229</td> <td style="text-align: center;" rowSpan="1" colSpan="1">44.1 mpg</td> <td style="text-align: center;" rowSpan="1" colSpan="1">£1,522</td> <td style="text-align: center;" rowSpan="1" colSpan="1">54 Ron</td> <td style="text-align: center;" rowSpan="1" colSpan="1">173.1 g/km</td> <td style="text-align: center;" rowSpan="1" colSpan="1">73.4 bhp</td> <td style="text-align: center;" rowSpan="1" colSpan="1">n/a</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="text-align: left;" rowSpan="1" colSpan="1">BP Ultimate diesel</td> <td style="text-align: center;" rowSpan="1" colSpan="1">£1.294</td> <td style="text-align: center;" rowSpan="1" colSpan="1">44 mpg</td> <td style="text-align: center;" rowSpan="1" colSpan="1">£1,606</td> <td style="text-align: center;" rowSpan="1" colSpan="1">54.8 Ron</td> <td style="text-align: center;" rowSpan="1" colSpan="1">174.4 g/km</td> <td style="text-align: center;" rowSpan="1" colSpan="1">72.7 bhp</td> <td style="text-align: center;" rowSpan="1" colSpan="1">-1%</td> </tr> </t></table> <div ="tnote"> <div ="notehldr"> <h3 ="tntitle">Table notes</h3>
  1. <li ="listlettr">a Fuel prices stated are the average of four locations, at the time of purchase in May 2008

<h3>We found </h3>

BP's Ultimate diesel was slightly less economic and performed slightly less well than using BP's regular low-sulphur diesel.

And you would save £84 every 12,000 miles by using regular diesel.<h3>Which? verdict</h3>

Of all the super fuels we tested, BP Ultimate appears to be furthest from the marketing claims ""“ in this short-term study, at least.

So if you drive a diesel, you can save yourself £84 every 12,00 miles by just using regular diesel.<h2>Will a super fuel mean your car emits fewer pollutants?</h2>

We tested fuel economy, engine power output and CO2 emissions, and whether the cars emitted other harmful pollutants including:<ul ="standard">[*]CO (carbon monoxide) A poisonous, odourless gas. CO is a product of incomplete combustion and can be one measure of combustion efficiency.[*]NOx (nitrogen oxides) Smog-forming pollutants associated with breathing disorders. NOx is produced under the high temperatures found in the engine (up to 2,500ºC).[*]HC (hydrocarbons) Unburnt fuel and combustion by-products.[*]PM (particulate matter) ""˜Sooty' output said to aggravate breathing disorders, such as asthma, especially in urban areas. Diesel cars emit more PM than petrols.[/list]<h3>The results</h3>

As in our power and fuel economy tests, the benefits of BP Ultimate diesel weren't clear cut. It produced less CO and HC, but more NOx and particulate matter. The latter is possibly as a result of it having a higher sulphur content.

If you're worried about your car's emissions, it's better to drive less and more economically ""“ not to switch fuels.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
The difference between the test which is based on actual data and the statements based on" may or could" without substance but just based on opinion by people who think that it may be benificial is not the same thing at all. A higher cetane number will give better starting ,yes ,but look at the test results and you will see even though it was suppose to be higher for the expensive diesel it was not any significant difference so that agument is not really standing up.My wife say's that I have exceptional taste in everything Fussychick and who am I to disagree.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
It certainly would be boring,I love the forum all the people who drive Souls are more individual than normal people, not that we are not normal its just that some people are more normal than others.The thought of disagreeing with one women puts the fear of bijabas in me so the folly of disagreeing with two does not bear thinking about. !!!!!!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I think that it's a bit less noisey since that 25k service, it does now have fully synthetic oil in it so whether or not this makes a difference I don't know. The performance has improved and as an experiment (take note Anchorman this is your fault) I am running on premium diesel , just put the first tank full in today.The comments regarding the lack of care that some filling stations do with low throughput is why I never fill up in this type of station only large ones with big throughputs . I still say that as fuel has to be made to a standard spec then in general there is not much difference between makes apart from additives which can be benificial in some circumstances. The tests tend to give results to agree with this unless anybody can find some testing to the contary.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Cheeky sod anchorman.First report----- Was running with Shell standard diesel and I cannot see any difference between that and Total Execillion at this time.Performance same,starting same don't know yet about MPG but it was 47 with the Shell, noise the same.I have got into the habit of just buying the cheapest which at the moment is Shell, I do buy supermarket fuel as well.
For 20 years I used to sell oil and gas combustion equipment to all manufactures in UK and abroad, this included atomiser and control/safety products inc equipment for jet engines ,I also worked with all the manufacturers research and development depts ,universities and end users on these products.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I am moving house Friday so between the estate agent,solicitor and the removal company I have used all the money anyway so empty wallet seems to be the norm at the moment.I am not to happy as my phone line will not be connected until the 26th Oct,I will miss the forum,but I'll be back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts