Kia Owners Club Forum banner

Diesel economy

44K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  skydog 
#1 ·
After putting a couple of tankfuls in, the first calculated mpg is about 40mpg, to be honest I was expecting better. I haven't filled up again yet, so not sure what I'll get out of it but it's looking similar. What's anyone else getting? Mine's a 2.0CRDi manual on an 06 plate.

#3 ·
Thanks. A few more tankfuls over the holiday, including a 1100 mile round trip to visit family would confirm that. Best so far was 49mpg on a steady run down on christmas day and a worst of 39 with a fair bit of round town work.

#5 ·
It's done 39000 miles, 2000 since I bought it a month ago. Best figure was on a 520 mile trip to visit parents at christmas. I'm trying not to use it for very short journeys but with the current weather.....
My work commute is just under 8 miles of open road, so generally a mix.

#10 ·
Hi double crown
Leave It out now, enough is enough,
you will only start to get abuse now, I think you/we have opened a can of worms, You have sorted your issues out, And on a possitive note my gear box is back in so all my issues will be resolved shortly.
This will probably be my last thread on here, Lets lick our wounds and have broad shoulders and move on,
all The Best partner its been fun chap.
good luck and best wishes to all
have a gud un
col

#11 ·
FWIW, the economy on mine is no worse than the last one, which was a 1400cc petrol, and lighter. It also doesn't seem to matter if it's loaded up or not. I have plenty of room. I'm just a bit irritated that companies (and Kia aren't alone in this) claim figures much higher that can be obtained in normal use. It has to be said that my best mileage is on the 500mile commute to visit parents rather than my trip to work, no doubt the cold weather isn't helping. Apart from that, it's started first time each time despite temperatures down to -6 or below. The diesel light does take a while to go out at these temps though.

#12 ·
Hi I have just bought a 59 plate Magentis and overall I am pleased with the purchase. I am a little dissapointed with the economy but that might be me not fully understanding the way the computer works. My old Octavia and Fabia both deisels were much easier to use and understand and thier economy was much better, 52 mpg around the doors for the octavia and the fabia was around 48, however that was the vrs model. The new car only has 12000 miles on the clock so I am hoping it will get better as time goes by, here's hoping so anyway.

If anyone has any advice I would be grateful to hear it about problems to look for etc.

Steve

#13 ·
Not had any problems so far, been through last winter in the arctic regions of scotland and never missed a beat. Consumption is a bit disappointing, but it's quite a big bodied car for the engine, with masses of room inside.

The only issue was that (in common with quite a lot of other cars) in the very cold weather the screenwash tended to freeze - not handy. It's due to the location of the bottle. My idea was to use Lidl's screenwash neat as it works down to a much lower temp than halfrauds etc.

#14 ·
Hi well I have had the car four months and in that time I have done over 11000 miles, 5 of which were spent on a road trip to Italy. The car was extremely comfortable and I can report that the car averaged between 50 and 55 miles to the gallon. This conisted of Auto strada and city driving in Rome and Naples and a trip down the amalfi coastline which took around 6 hours to do 32 mile. The only bad experience was the car was broken into in Pisa on the third day and Auto Glass could not find me a replacement window and a plastic one was put in as a temporary measure.

I am really pleased with the car and get alot of pleasure driving it, just had its second service which cost £125.

#16 ·
Hi

The engine is probably still a bit tight. Give it time to loosen up and the economy should get better. Also, don't expect good economy just now unless you're going on a long run at a steady pace as the engine will take an age to warm up. I've been a little concerned that the diesel might freeze up as night-time temps have been below -10.

#17 ·
Your probably right but most of my journeys on the motorways as you can see from one month of ownership and t 2500 miles on the clock.Apart from the fuel consumption very pleased with the car.
p.s is a slightly noisey front suspension normal on this model,thanks for your time Tim.

#18 ·
When you say a noisy front end, do you mean engine or drive (wheels suspension etc)? I find I get quite a lot of road noise, which can vary in nature depending on road surface. Methinks soundproofing is one of the corners that were cut.That's probably why I almost always have the stereo on

#20 ·
Have just returned from a visit with family in the UK, 4500 kms @ 5.3 / 100 kms, quite good for a large motor,. 2009 model Magentis 2.0 Diesel, just a shame regarding the cost of diesel,. The car was extremely comfortable and roomy,. With no hiccups at all,.

#22 ·
Fuel economy of late seems to have got worse, I know it's cold just now but comparing like for like I'm getting less miles from the ever increasing cost of diesel. It also seems to have lost some of the "kick" it had around 2000rpm, any ideas?

#23 ·
On my '57 plate Magentis LS CRDI the fuel consumption is incredibly variable. It can be mid-50s (mpg) on the motorway, but low 30's if there's much stopping and starting in town. Typically hovers around the low 40s. Hills make a massive difference, and as for towing a caravan . . . Economy has improved with age, now done 28k so loosened up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.