Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Just recently when the engine is cold, like after work, I get into the car, turn the key to position 2, wait for glow plug indicator to go out then turn to position 3 to engage the starter motor (accelerator not pressed). However, sometimes I get a cloud of blue smoke from the exhaust.
Also, for the first 2 miles or so the engine runs rough, particularly at low revs (up to about 1700 rpm) being particularly bad at about 1500rpm where it stutters if I go from no throttle opening (like going downhill) to a small throttle opening (like trying to maintain 40mph). I'm within the gear change rev range indicated by the on board computer and I drive very conservatively - that's why I consistently get more than 60 mpg.
I've never owned a diesel before so I can't say if it's worse than other cars.
The blue smoke worries me and it seems like I might have a faulty glow plug or something as the car feels much better when warm.
Can anybody offer an explanation of what might be wrong? Any known faults?
Thanks for your help,
Ed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good afternoon Ed,

I am now beginning to regret my Kia Ceed purchase, I too have blue smoke on start up although as yet I don't have the rough running. I will continue with the car on the short term as I have currently only done 700 miles since new but I am visiting my Peugeot dealer tomorrow to see what it would cost to go back to Peugeot. If anyone else has this issue and has had it resolved could you let Ed and I know.

Thanks

Rog

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi Both, its not unusual to get a puff of blue smoke from a diesel from cold on a start up.
If engine has done a few 10k miles and takes a bit of cranking and runs a bit rought for a while, it could be a problem with heater plug(s) or control circuit

Rog if you have only done 700 miles from new, you will need to at least do 10,000 miles before the engine starts showing its best and will be a different beast.

The word with the diesel is wait till it has done 20,000 miles before judging it.

Ed I have found with all the diesels I have owned they like to be worked, and once a month I like to give them a good run to blow the cobwebs out of it along with a bit of smokey rubbish.

Feels a different car afterwards.

Bob.

·
Registered
99 Posts
bobs right lads the oil burners need more time to settle in ive been running derv burners for years my 1st was in a austin cambridge in 1973 and many since including trucks ,they are a lot different now and if its your 1st it will take some getting use to but they do need to be worked and if they are fitted with particulate filters care must be taken to give them a weekly run at speed to stop them from blocking just ask some of the owners of SPAMs etc inside the m25 area around london who are forking out many pounds to replace cats because they havent read what it says in the owners manual, a friend of mine being one of them but have patience lads because once the engine has settled in and maintained correctly it will far outlast and outperform the petrol

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Rog,
Sorry it has taken me a while to respond - I had stopped monitoring this forum as it seemed rather quiet.
There is a thread (started by me) on another forum which has had a lot of interest. For videos and comments which might answer the questions on this thread please see:

http://...kia-forums.../kia-ceed-forum/61223-ceed-sw-eco-blue-smoke-starting.html

Sorry to this forum - I'm not trying to poach users!
Bottom line: You are not alone, Kia doesn't know what's wrong yet, it is a fault, driving the car hard makes no difference, the only difference we have been able to see is getting the glow plugs hotter before starting.

Kia are taking my car to investigate today, so hopefully we'll all get a happy ending.

·
Registered
99 Posts
aye lad its in the black hole, im glad im down south west in gods own country where we fill our particulate filter tanks the organic way !!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hotboxcharlie said:
bobs right lads the oil burners need more time to settle in ive been running derv burners for years my 1st was in a austin cambridge in 1973 and many since including trucks ,they are a lot different now and if its your 1st it will take some getting use to but they do need to be worked and if they are fitted with particulate filters care must be taken to give them a weekly run at speed to stop them from blocking just ask some of the owners of SPAMs etc inside the m25 area around london who are forking out many pounds to replace cats because they havent read what it says in the owners manual, a friend of mine being one of them but have patience lads because once the engine has settled in and maintained correctly it will far outlast and outperform the petrol
SPAMs? I don't get it - please enlighten me. Are you a victim of your spellchecker? Were you referring to a certain Bavarian Motor Wcar manufacturer?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ive got a 2010 SW2 that I normally drive enthusiastically with a heavy foot with no smoke at start up.
Following a conversation with a guy at work last wednesday, I drove to work sedately like an old man. When I got in to go home, I got a cloud of blue smoke. Clogged it as normal on friday with no smoke on returning home. I'll"old man" it tomorrow again and see what happens.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dowdeswell said:
Ive got a 2010 SW2 that I normally drive enthusiastically with a heavy foot with no smoke at start up.
Following a conversation with a guy at work last wednesday, I drove to work sedately like an old man. When I got in to go home, I got a cloud of blue smoke. Clogged it as normal on friday with no smoke on returning home. I'll"old man" it tomorrow again and see what happens.
That's certainly interesting, but sadly not what I am seeing. I gave mine a good run into the countryside, driving much harder than usual but no change. Also, the blue (or is it white?) smoke varies depending on glow plug glow time before starting the engine.
I suspect you are seeing a fault / characteristic which is different to mine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
OOO-ER. Never thought of the glow plugs. Can't say that I've ever noticed my glow plug light. I get in, put the key in, turn it and start the engine like a petrol one. Can't say that I've immediately rolled out like a paratrooper and scampered round the back. Apart from last thursday I've never seen smoke in my rear view mirror. Didn't "old man" to work this morning, forgot, hard to break the habits of a life time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts