Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My Rio2 is a 58 plate, it has just had it's 30K service. Prior to it being serviceI was getting 60 miles to the gallon out of it, since the service it is down to 55. Apart from being services only other thing that changed was 2 new front tyres, it had done 30K on the originals which I didn't think was bad.

Can anybody suggest anything.

Thanks

Ian

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
30k is really good on the original tyres. I had new ones on mine when I bought it and the car had 19k on it.
Not sure why your mpg has dropped. I wouldn't think the rolling resistance is that much more on your new tyres. Has the handbrake been adjusted too tight and is causing the drag.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know nothing about cars so be honest I am not sure, the car seems as nippy as it alwats was.
How could I tell if there was a handbrake was too tight?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I also noticed that the fuel economy dropped after my Rio's second service.
I suspect it could be down to the fact that the oil is new and the fuel filters have changed.

New oil may not lubricate really well until it has absorbed some carbon (turned black).

Don't worry though as the fuel economy will quickly pick back up after a couple of tanks of diesel.

Edited by: diddy1234

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
idavies999 said:
How could I tell if there was a handbrake was too tight?
Be on a slight incline and take handbrake off. Does the car roll forward or back depending on which way you the car is sitting. If not the hanbrake could be over adjusted.
How many clicks of the handbrake does it take for the car to remain stationary.
Another way is too jack up each rear wheel and see if its easy to spin the wheels with the handbrake off.
It is possible also that there is a sticking brake caliper on any of wheels.
Or it could be what diddy is saying and all will be back to normal soon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have tried the car on an incline and it does roll backwards,
On the first click of the handbrake it still rolls just slows down, 2nd slows more still 3rd stops totally. 3 clicks is as far as it goes.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Well it doesn't appear to be the brakes causing the poorer mpg. Check tyre pressures as this does have an effect on mpg. I have certainly noticed a difference on my van from soft tyres to having them at max setting.
Like I said earlier diddy1234 had a similar prob and after a couple of fill ups all was well again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts