Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very happy so far, but just wondered if these are standard features?
Bit of a notchy gear change 1-2 and 3-4 going up. Hopefully it's just where it's new?
Also slight tappet sounding knock when on tickover with clutch depressed? Goes away when clutch released. Dont remember that when test driving but had some idiot salesman who wouldn't shut his mouth!
Not had diesel before....

·
Registered
283 Posts
Mines a bit notchy - more so when cold. Are you sure you got the noise right? It would make more sense if it was rattly with your foot off the clutch and quiet when depressed.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The gear change is very notchy when cold, particularly 1 to 2. Frees up as it warms up.

The engine does emit a tap/rattle when cold and you apply a smidgin of accelerator..... most diesel do the same. As diesels go - the Soul diesel is one of the quieter diesels when cold.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Ive not noticed the noise , but its sometimes happens with first gear , I thought maybe it was an issue with the clutch
as its not always cold when it does it .

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The gearchange on the Soul isnt the slickest about (my Seat is far better)... but it is pretty good when its warm. If i ever crunch a gear when its warm - its usually going up into third..... just letting the clutch up a bit too soon usually.

Some on the USA site have fitted a short shift kit to their manuals.... it tightens up the change and reduces the gear stick throw and they rave about it. Personally i would have thought it would exasperate the cold gear shift issue.... but each to their own.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your replies. Yes it's the 2nd to 3rd which is the problem. 8 out of 10 times it catches as you change up, almost as if the clutch is not quite doing it's job, but it is fully depressed. I have tried changing fast and slow to see if it makes any difference but it still does it. Changing 4th down to 3rd = no problem. I am hoping it will ease up otherwise I will getting it looked at by Mr Kia.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
When I looked into it I was told that its because the gears are sharp on the teeth and they need to smooth off,this was verfied by our friend Paul from Viking. Mine still does it now and again with 12 months and 17 plus K on the clock,now I will show my age ! I have got into the habit of doubling the clutch at times .

·
Registered
283 Posts
Blimey what will they think of next,just hope it remembers my driving style after the misses has been in it (her of the lead foot). If anyone is interested (which is probably everyone ) there is an online petition about fuel prises at Fairfuel.com,worth a look Soulists.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dave R said:
When I looked into it I was told that its because the gears are sharp on the teeth and they need to smooth off,this was verfied by our friend Paul from Viking. Mine still does it now and again with 12 months and 17 plus K on the clock,now I will show my age ! I have got into the habit of doubling the clutch at times .
Cheers Dave R, although I cant see how the sharp teeth on the cogs would only affect 2nd to 3rd, why not the others? I think it is something to do with the linkage design or adjustment because if you pause and go slightly back before forward into 3rd it doesnt do it. It's hideous when cold, almost like changing gear with clutch half out, when warm it's slightly better but still a distinct crunch - not nice.
Was that Viking garage in Hedge End you went to?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Viking Paul said:
as the old saying goes it will improve with wear sir and in this case it does honestly apply they are usualy knotchy for the first 10k and then settle a slight pause in neutral as you cross the gate from 1st to 2nd helps haveing looked inside a box the edges of the gears are very sharp from new and this probably causes them to bulk on occasions
Hi maddog, here is the quote from viking paul and I got mine checked ,it's ok but still catches now and again,I have now got into the habit of doing a double the clutch which cures it.My car has 16k on it but a lot of this is motorway work so I would have thought it will depend on how much gear changing has been done to how long it takes to settle down.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Dave R,
I hope you are right on that one mate. I know anything new can be a bit tight to start with, but I have never known this before on a new car. I have found the problem to be the cross and forward movement into 3rd and into 5th to a much less extent, however if you change gear very fast it doesnt tend to do it, or change very slowly pausing abnormally long before pushing gently forward it's much better, but changing at a natural speed it catches virtually every time. I think I will get it booked in if only to get it on record and register my displeasure at an early stage. I know exactly what they will say - just what they said to you! If it settles down the great, but if not they will not be liking me very much!
Thank heavens for a 7 year warranty eh?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Hi maddog, you are right to get it checked,that's why I had it looked at just to register the complaint.They do not like fast changes at all,I have caught the 2nd to 3rd a couple of times today trying push on in heavy traffic.I have also had a clutch noise like a moaning but only in reverse which they said was ok and has now gone.I still love the car ,have you got the latest one and if so have they changed the dash plastics.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I must call in to Kia soon so I will have a look at the new ones,I know that some people are not to happy about waiting for delivery which can be months but it's better that way thanit was a few years ago when new cars sat around for months.I remember seeing some brand new Fiats parked in a field next to the dockshalfwayup the wheels in water and these were sold as someones brand new pride and joy.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts