Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just fitted a detachable witter towbar and 13pin Kia electrics.
The towbar itself only took 45mins to fit and the electrics just short of 5 hours including removing most the interior( LOL).

If anyone out there is looking at fitting their own towbar, I now know what parts to remove to gain access to all areas concerned.

Unless you like the sound of plastic cracking, its not for the faint hearted (LOL) My FE only has 200 miles on the clock. But at least it now has the towbar of my choice at a fraction of the cost from local towbar fitters. Approx £400.

I will try and upload some photos when we get our other laptop working( no good with PC's)LOL.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Murray 10. You got a good deal there.
What make of towbaris it? Who fitted it ? What electrics did they use? Genuine Kia wiring kits or is the wiring Scotch locked?
My wiring is 13 pin (just the one plug to worrry about,LOL)

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a man from Hedleys towbars in Durham coming to my home in Penrith today to fit a detachable Witter towbar and 13 pin electrics to my new Sportage for £413. I've used Hedleys before, and they always seemed very competent. I'll let you know....

·
Registered
13 Posts
The problem i had was trying to find a detachable towbar that fitted the car,everybody was quoting me for the 04 model upwards,there were 1 or2 that gave me quotes of between £440 and £450,i checked up one who were offering a detachable one for £405 with an online voucher of £10.

I called them up to see if i could see one for myself,i couldn't believe it when i got there,on the ramp there was a new sportage having a detachable bar fitted,even the techno orange i've got.

I've only seen one other sportage on the rd

The best thing about this bar i've got on is that unlike the one i had on the previous model,you don't have to crawl on your back,you just push it straight on,then lock it with a key,i paid for twin electrics,and it's got a lifetime guarentee.

Here's the link.........http://www.a1-tow.com/

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Sid, Thats a very good price for a witter bar. Is it the one with the detachable tow ball ? I fitted that type so we can also fit a detachable bumper protector and a cycle rack and also change the ball if we need to. (Alko ball fitted).Make sure that when the pin socket is fitted that it swivels out of sight ( behind bumper bar) so that when the bar is removed it looks like you have no towing equipment fitted at all.
I shopped around for prices and they were very high compared to what other people are paying.

Are they using the genuine Kia wiring kit? I used the official kia wiring kit to keep it all inline with the 7 year warranty.

I have fitted my last 3 towbars to keep the cost down, so unless they are being more competetive due to the credit crunch, I dont Know!

One thing to note. Make sure they dont fit any scotch locks to the wiring, it cuts into your new cars harness and Bu**ers the wiring harness and your warranty.

Let me know how you go on.

PS I had fun fitting it,LOL.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Murray10. Looks ok. I fitted the type that are detachable, but also has a the original ball type bolted to swan neck. that way i was able to use a detachable bumper protector and have the ability to fit a cycle rack to the towbar. Also my electrics swivel in the air and hide behind the bumper so that with the bar removed it looks like I have no towing equipment at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts