Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone can offer any advice to the following it would be most appreciated.

I bought a 55 plate Kia Sportage brand new. After I had it for 8 months the engine blew and, to cut a long story short, this was caused by a manufacturing fault and Kia eventually provided me with a new engine under warranty.

The engine has now gone AGAIN!! It is currently ina Kia dealer trying to get to the root of the problem. I have been told so far that the damage has been caused by lack of oil although there are no visible signs of an oil leak.There is low or no compression on 3 of the cylinders andI have also been told that there is no oil on the dipstick, however we checked the oil about a month ago and no oil needed to be added. There has been no oil warning light come on and no smoke coming out of the exhaust. They now say they need to strip the engine which means ££££££££££££££££.

Has anyone come across this before??

Any advice would be great as I do not know what to do as proving there was oil in the car is gong to be very diffficult.

Thanks

·
Registered
682 Posts
Taywoogolf

What engine unit do you have?

I would never leave routine checks for a month even with the small mileage that I do now.

You could have a coolant or oil leak happen with a short trip to the shops! and with the adverse weather we have had recently, it only adds to the importance of checking fluid levels.

Seems strange that there was no advance warnings? as the engine management systems at most times tend to warn of a problem?

Hope you get a satisfactoryresault from the latest problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I have a 2.0 XS CRDi. I take on board what you say about checking more regularly but would not expecta car to get through that much oil in so short a time. I've been told that the warning light only comes on once it's run out which doesn't seem right to me. But no, no warnings at all. I guess I will have to wait and see once the engine is stripped down. It just would have been interesting to see if anyone hadexperienced a similar problem or knew of any glitch it could be.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Taywoogolf what mileage do you do in a month. Do you get it serviced regularly. What miles has it done. Really you should be checking oil level weekly if your doing a few hundred a week. If its into thousands then I would be checking daily. I have a 2002 Vw Lt35 van which has done 355,000 miles and its the original engine and has neverhad a strip down. The oil and filter is changed every 10,000 and its checked daily.
Your oil light might have came on briefly when cornering or braking if oil is low and you may have not seen it and oil pressure would have dropped enough to do some damage.

I do hope you can get it repaired at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for reply Davy. I do approx 150 miles per month and total mileage is 32,000 milesalthough only 28,000 on new engine. Car has full service history at main kia dealer.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Only 150 a week there seems to be a serious problem with engine. Have you ever had to add oil between services.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never. I have just been told that the work is going to cost a minimum of £5k and Kia Custmer Services do not want to know as it is out of warranty so it looks like the scrap heap unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Why not try and get an engine from a breakers yard and get an independant garage to fit it. I'm sure it would cheaper than 5K.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not sure if itis any help. On my last car, a mitsubishi spacewagon with a 2.4 GDI petrol engine, same thing happened engine blew at 58,000 miles. I could go 1000`s of miles and not use oil, thenoil level would drop dramatically. Problem was we suspect 2 things but neither me or the garage got to the bottom of it. The hydraulic tappets were faulty, this was rectified on a recall. But we suspect the main problem was a faulty oil pump. New short motor and oil pump cured it, which thankfully was replaced under warranty. Did another 70,000 miles with no problems

·
Registered
111 Posts
Taywoogolf,
I have just returned home and I have just caught up with your tale of woe.
First things first, forgive me for being direct but " HERE GOES"
(1) You should be checking levels, water oils, tyre pressures "EVERY WEEK" irrespective of miles covered.
(2)Had you have carried out these tasks weekly, you would have noticed the loss of oil on the dipstick, or the loss of coolant fluids.
(3) In your defence however, assuming the oil was at the correct level to start with, there was an absence of smoke and no apparent leaks.
It would beg the question to be asked has the oil pressure dropped (oil pump failure)
One question puzzles me however, if the oil has departed the sump there has to be tell tale signs.
Oil in the exhaust system, Oil around the sump gasket, Any other signs of a major leak
One other point is the apparent lack of compression,can you give us the status of the report from the dealership,the report should have come up with a "REASON"

How many miles has this engine covered in total.
Speak to You Soon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts