Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We our little Soul has now covered a staggering 5,500 miles since its birth in November 2010. Yesterday evening I took it for a little trip from Bognor Regis on the south coast to South London and back to pick up my mum who is staying with us for the week.
I filled up on leaving which resets the MPG computer as you know and out of curiosity when I got back I had a look at what MPG I had got. Normally I don't pay much attention really as its much better that my old jalopy. I took a steady drive mainly on A roads and dual carriage ways with a bit of motorway driving. Saying steady I took about 1 hour 20. each way which is about the norm. Well nowerdays anyway compared to the days when I was a lot more foolish and thought I was a rally driver in a performance hot hatch.

I managed a MPG of 54.5 which I think reading other posts was very good. That I got me thinking was at what sort of mileage does it take to fully run in the CRDi engine?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
We bought our Soul Tempest in March 2010 and we have 29,000 miles on the clock now,its just run in nicely and is certainly better both in performance and MPG. We retired in Oct 2011 and moved to Bridlington after which with the short town driving most of the time the MPG has dropped to 43-48ish.I get around 52mpg when I go on a longer trip which I do twice a month when my daughter has to go back to Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield. Before we moved I did mixed driving with quite a lot of dual carrigeway and motorway driving,I do tend to drive a car hard and I used to get 45-53mpg ish out of it.You do need tohave a light right foot to get anything like very good mpg,that is anything over 50mpg on a regular basis.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Picasso. I would say 50% of the trip was on A/B roads doing 50/60 with abut of slower areas. The other 50% was M/way was doing between 70-80. Not tanking it but it was not a Sunday sight seeing drive.
Hey Tempest it seems we still have to put a few more miles on the clock to fully run her in then.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My Diesel Manual (5 speed) Shaker returned 46mpg for the first few tanks then gradually increased to the level I'm at now, which is 50 - 52 mpg. I'm going to swap for a Quantum when I get back to the UK, so the comparison between the 5 speed to the 6 will be interesting.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I used to drive quite hard before I moved but as a very large part of that driving was a constant speed on motorway types of road the mpg was a little bit higher than I get where I live at this time.If I wanted to get above 50mpg then the speed had to be kept down to 60mph most of the time,if you went above this then the mpg suffered. I now live in an area where you cannot speed because the local plod gain a large income from awareness courses from roads where speed limits aredilibratley lowso you learn not to speed however the shorter journeys I do drop the mpg which is compensated by the lower speeds.When I now go to Wakefield I do not go above 60mph except for the last 20% of the journey when I average 70+mph .I can get a higher MPG when I do these jouneys but I do not think that anybody can get above the low 50s unless they are very careful indeed with their right foot which make driving boring.It will be intersting to see if the 6 speed box makes a lot of difference to the mpg figures, its also no goodworking from the computer to work out MPG as I do not think it is accurate enough to givelong term readings but ok on a day to day basis.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Nat, did you get your motor from Edwards on the A38? If you did and your getting the Quantum from said garage,let us know so I can have a peek, because I have yet to see a new Soul of any description in the blasted place. Ta

·
Registered
18 Posts
So, if you ask Kia nicely they might sell you a brand new car with an old engine fitted so you can get better MPG
That way you would get the best of both worlds.
Mine has the new six speed box so I will let you know what the eventual MPG is when we have done a few more miles. I reckon that 60MPG + will be elusive - though I am happy with the current 50+.

·
Registered
183 Posts
SYLO, I got my Shaker from Weston Super Mare as we were spending the summer down there. Edwards never seem to have much in the way of stock and my experience of them when I bought a Mitsubishi is that they aren't very generous with discounts. They were also £40 dearer than the dealers in Gloucester & Kidderminster for the second service. I'll tout round all the Midlands dealers for the best deal but I doubt that it will be Edwards. I only live a quarter of a mile from them as well!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Dolinaman said:
So, if you ask Kia nicely they might sell you a brand new car with an old engine fitted so you can get better MPG
That way you would get the best of both worlds.
Mine has the new six speed box so I will let you know what the eventual MPG is when we have done a few more miles. I reckon that 60MPG + will be elusive - though I am happy with the current 50+.

The diesel engine is the same engine as previous with just a few emissions tweaks, any improvement from old to new in economy will be down to the gearbox. I will be gobsmacked if anyone can get over 60mpg out of a tank full on a Soul.

There was one owner who claimed 57mpg a while back - straight out of the box, and when we asked him to double check his figures he never came back. I think the best i ever managed was 54mpg and i was been mega careful. I can usually beat the quoted figures for mpg, but i cant with the Soul.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Talking about new cars has anyone seen the new Optima , trouble is its only got one engine option ,a 17 diesel. To get 55+ mpg out of the Soul then you need to be brain dead so you can drive at a very low speed with just enough revs to keep it moving ,have a following wind and be going down hill.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I like the Sportage and if it was a choice between that and theOptima then ths Sportage would be my at the top of the list,however I will wait until I have driven both to compare.The Sportagecan be a more difficult to get in and out than the Soul.

·
Registered
79 Posts
This has been the subject of other threads and it would appear to vary greatly between cars. I have achieved 66mpg on a straight A road run over 50 miles taking it easy, but normal mixed driving to and from work keeping out of town I struggle to get 48 - 50mpg and that is low speed, avoiding revving too much, using gentle braking and very light on acceleration pressure. It's so boring driving that way but to prove a point now an again I try it. Driving my Soul 2 Diesel normally I can easily get it down to 42mpg and I am sure that a good thrash would have it in the mid 30's. Now given that us diesel owners are getting shafted by nearly 10p extra per litre, is there any point in owning one anymore? I'm not so sure now and I reckon my next motor may well be a petrol.

Edited by: maddog

1 - 20 of 70 Posts