Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hearing from peeps in work, the desiel has a DPF that needs a run to clear the system.

Any info anyone?

I've not had a desiel so need some tips.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Apparantly the diesel should be run quite hard on a regular basis,this is the reason that they give the diesel engine a real good revving before MOTs and before work on the engine check.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
A good ragging once every couple of months or good bit of high speed cruising should do it....... i often forget and its quite interesting when you take it for an mot and they give the young apprentice the keys for 15 mins ...... and you get overtaken by your own car at extremely high speed!!!. (my previous Fiat)

·
Registered
78 Posts
i used to give my Focus 1.8TDCi a good 'blast' every couple of weeks..learnt to make sure nobody was following, they would have thought the lights had gone out!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
that is very embarrassing when that happens.....the doblo did the same......mind you - you can use it to advantage when some git drives right up your backend.......lol.

I have maxed the soul out in the lower gears a few times to clean it out and never had any black smoke come out......maybe i need to try harder or they dont soot up like they used to. I thought the DPF was actually something that burnt the particles of soot not collected them......is this correct or is it really just a filter?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Had a read at the AA info on DPF and basically if you are a town driver buy a petrol car or you could be in for a big repair bill to the DPF. The problem is to clear the DPF the exhaust temp has to be high enough to regenerate the filter if its not then it can block up and eventually its off to dealers to get it cleaned out or a worse case a new one at a cost of upto £1000.
So if you have a diesel car with a DPF give it the welly down a fast road for a good few miles every week and this will clear out the DPF and you wont get the problem of a warning light or poor running.
If you drive like a granny all the time this is not good for any engine either petrol or diesel. Carbon builds up on pistons , heads and valves and also through the exhaust system causing poor running. Petrol engines have spark plugs of course for igniting of the fuel, now if engine temp is not high enough spark plugs can foul up. A spark plug has an operating temp that it much achieve to clean its self if not the crud builds up and then gives misfires.
It does not do any harm to spin the engine up to the redline in the lower gears sometimes or a good blast down the M way.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
my mate had a honda prelude for a few years and he used to thrash the living daylights out of it constantly and the engine always sounded and ran superb.....obviously driving like that literally all the time had its consequences...... a written off car and 18 months in hospital on and off been the result....but the engine still ran beautifully in the scrappers (he got t boned!)

·
Registered
157 Posts
When driving between 65+70 mph change down into third and leave it there for a couple of minutes. Make sure no-one is tailgating you !!. This cleared the crap out of the Rio when I had it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Don`t worry,thats what the KIA warranty is for. I accept no responsability for any damage caused by debris exiting the vehicle, this includes metal particles i.e, valves, gears, bearings or any other similar materials. Go on give it some, you know you want to !!.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Ganging up on me now eh?....just drove home in the Seat and thats making a funny rattle...... so i may be using and caning the tempest whether i want to or not!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does the tempest crdi auto have the dpf in it? Way too many abbreviations there. I was mentioning it to the other half today, but we were pootling along, you don't want to rush past when people are admiring it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes it does so be careful. I normally do carriageway driving every week so hopefully won't have a problem

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dave R said:
This was only done on a private road but it will hit 120 if pushed hard ! That will clear it out.

I would be as well................I will drop a gentle hint this week, as in "FLOOR IT",
we don't want any particulates lurking.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Taffy 49 said:
Yes it does so be careful. I normally do carriageway driving every week so hopefully won't have a problem

Thanks Taffy, I will watch the sat nav for speed checks and enjoy the ride later this week

1 - 20 of 57 Posts