Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Car manufacturers are at the bottom of the list as far as semiconductor companies are concerned. They only had collectively less than 20% of semiconductor market before the Covid crisis and then abandoned them for a year.
Most industries worldwide have now ramped up production back to normal as the world recovers from Covid so demand for semiconductors is higher than it has been for nearly 3 years. However semiconductor production remains the same. The current lead times for semiconductors is now 6 months. That has doubled since Q3 2020.
Kia can't do anything about it and knowing dealerships they are as clueless as we are.
The only thing in your favour is that an EV6 has a bigger premium on it than other Kia cars so priority will go to them rather than a Cee'd for instance where the profit is less. You can see that across the industry, Land Rover cars get priority over Jaguar for parts for instance.
There's no point in looking elsewhere really because the situation is the same wherever you go so be patient, the joy of a new car will be even greater after such a long wait! 😂

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does it make any difference from the size of the dealerships on priority of orders? i'm guessing probably not but i guess you can live in hope lol
Your order has the biggest premium, the most profit for Kia, but we've seen from others here and in the UK forum that the waiting list for the top model is a year at least. It has the biggest amount of gadgets and gadgets are in such short supply.
As I understand it, dealerships are allocated slots by the manufacturer which in part is due to their size and past sales. These slots are, at the moment, limited and have to be fulfilled. Failure to do so results in the number of slots bring reduced, hence the crazy discounts we used to get in the past at the end of the month for some cars when a dealership found itself short.
But in the present day I don't think any of this has the same weight it used to have.
So, you'll get it when you get it. Kia don't know when, they can't unfortunately.
By the way the date of your order has no bearing. I've seen some orders at Jaguar come through in 4 months whilst others who have waited much longer get them cancelled 3 times having waited a year. There are 2 main limiting factors, availability of the gadgets and associated electronics, and profitability.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts