Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear KCS,

I have a couple of comments regarding what appears to be a general disconnect between the factory and the UK dealers. I am thinking of two areas where there seem to be running comments and not confied to particular models;

1) As delivered to the end user, the tyre pressures are set well above the recommended value (fully understand that this is probably for shipping purposes)

2) As delivered to the end user, the headlamp alignments are poor.

It seems to me that the dealers think the factory should address this and the factory thinks the dealers should address these at PDI.

Suggest that you review the PDI checklist to see if the dealers are expected to check/adjust tyre pressures and beam alignments, and if so then clearly there are many dealers who are not doing this (mine included). If the dealers are not expected to do this then perhaps the factory needs to tighten up here.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Hi Turnup

We can confirm the following points are on the dealer's PDI:

• Check headlamp alignment to MOT standard using beam tester.
  • Check tyre pressures (including the spare / spacesaver if fitted)
We'll be feeding this back to operations management but if any customer has an issue with how their new car is presented to them, we'd like to hear from them direct so that we can raise the concern with the individual dealer.

Thanks for your comments.

Kia Customer Service
0333 202 2990

Visit Discover Our Kia Range & Find A Local Dealer | Kia Motors UK
Follow https://twitter.com/KiaUK
Join in www.facebook.com/kiamotorsuk
Watch www.youtube.com/kiamotorsuk

Customer Service opening hours:

Monday to Friday: 08:30 - 19:00
Saturday: 09:00 - 13:00
Sunday: Closed

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps there is a language issue here. "Check Tyre pressures" is not the same as "Check and adjust tyre pressures" ditto headlamp alignment (or were you summarising?)

My Sportage was presented to me with tyres at 46psi (should be 36 psi) - something which I corrected myself when I realised a few days later.

At the first service I complained about the headlamp alignment (which was not good as the main beams were pointing upwards by different amounts and could be seen to be crossing each other) rather than check it they asserted that "It's set at the factory" and were also unable to show me where the adjusters were. I eventually found them for myself and have tweaked to a much more satisfactory aiming - passed MoT so can't be far out.

This is slightly more than three years ago so not exactly current and I don't think there is any point in following up my particular experience but there are others on here with more recent similar experiences..

·
Registered
998 Posts
Perhaps there is a language issue here. "Check Tyre pressures" is not the same as "Check and adjust tyre pressures" ditto headlamp alignment (or were you summarising?)

My Sportage was presented to me with tyres at 46psi (should be 36 psi) - something which I corrected myself when I realised a few days later.

At the first service I complained about the headlamp alignment (which was not good as the main beams were pointing upwards by different amounts and could be seen to be crossing each other) rather than check it they asserted that "It's set at the factory" and were also unable to show me where the adjusters were. I eventually found them for myself and have tweaked to a much more satisfactory aiming - passed MoT so can't be far out.

This is slightly more than three years ago so not exactly current and I don't think there is any point in following up my particular experience but there are others on here with more recent similar experiences..
I agree with you Turnup,
I had a 2016 Sportage and now a 2019 Sportage, upon delivery of both vehicles they both had the same problems, that being over inflated tyre pressures and headlights out of alignment,I put up with it on the 2016 until I managed to get booked into a garage and had them realigned correctly//
In fact the 2019 Sportage headlights are still out of alignment, that is after being taken back to the dealer and being told to wait as the technician will slot you in when he has a break on the MOT ramp as he needed the MOT bay for aligning the headlamp, I waited and was told by reception the vehicle is all done and ready...I went away and waited for dark to arrive, lo and behold there was no difference, and that was after i drove a round trip of over 100 miles to the closest KIA dealer to me!!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
We can confirm the following points are on the dealer's PDI:

• Check headlamp alignment to MOT standard using beam tester.
  • Check tyre pressures (including the spare / spacesaver if fitted)
We'll be feeding this back to operations management
Call me pedantic but what will ‘Operations Management’ do with the information?

If there exists such a thing these days as a PDI, then why are not all dealers performing that task? Alternatively, if they are lying, pretending to have performed the work when they haven’t, how will feeding ’Turnup’s point back to the office you mention help to ensure that dealers actually perform this important task on every single new car?

For what it’s worth, I think Hyundai/KIA produce some excellent motor cars with quality second to very few. Their appointed dealers, however, let the side down by skimping on important tasks so KIA UK needs to do some serious arse-kicking or their jobs will disappear over time as it doesn’t take very long for a brand to become the butt of jokes with sales diminishing and competitors enjoying the resultant bounce away from the marque.

Poor servicing is a perennial complaint from owners in this forum and just to point the finger at one particular item, the oil level after an oil/filter change should never, ever be over the max level on the dipstick. Now, I know exactly what causes that, as I’m sure do many others, but it is unforgivable to display such lack of care and attention towards a paying customer and many dealers seem to be guilty of corner-cutting in pursuit of maximising profits.

From experience, I’m aware that the kind of problem described by ’Turnup’ and previously by other members is most certainly not unique to KIA but I’m concerned that KIA place too much reliance on their 7-year warranty to the detriment of other customer relations issues. If a long warranty were the be-all and end-all of car-ownership, then KIA would be outselling just about every other manufacturer with models in the UK. Now, I know that KIA stole a march on the UK competition when they hit the market with that long warranty but for many car-owners, there are other attractions besides a long warranty.

KIA could do its enterprise a huge favour and steal another march on the competition by developing award-winning servicing and dealer satisfaction but that won’t happen until they actually crack down on those dealers failing to provide service of an acceptable standard, let alone gain the confidence of owners and the praise of the motoring journalists.

I fear that by simply passing the matter up to Ops Management, the issue will simply be buried and never acted upon unless KIA UK is able to reassure customers and consumers at large in a demonstrable way. How about it KIA?

·
Registered
543 Posts
I love the quality of my Sorento, but the supplying dealer did an exceptionally poor job (I'd asked them to fit a towbar). They broke pieces of trim and didn't own up. They didn't put some of the towbar pieces in the car. Indeed, they denied they'd ever had them, only for them to suddenly appear when I threatened to reject the car. They also didn't do the whole PDI - tyre pressures were high, the NS headlight was misaligned, the 'low screenwash light' came on as I drove away, the number plate was badly crooked etc.

I had to delay collecting the car by 1.5 days as it was taking them a lot longer to fit the towbar than they expected. And then a return visit to get the car right.

I had so little confidence in them that I went under and checked that the towbar bolts were tight myself. I also bought a towbar wiring checker (a bunch of LEDs on the end of a 13-pin socket) and used it to check the wiring before I left.

By contrast, when I bought a Toyota, everything was perfect. The salesman had even realised that if I was having a towbar, I'd need an extra rear numberplate for the caravan, so included one at no charge. That's what attention to detail looks like.

My supplying Kia dealer regularly comes up on the forum and elsewhere as providing poor service - they are damaging the Kia brand. I wouldn't even trust them to do an oil change. Indeed, I was so annoyed with them that I had some new number plates made up so that I didn't have to see their name on my car ever again.

The reason I've stuck with Kia so far is that I've found another dealer who is good. Much though I've enjoyed my Sorento, I'm likely to go back to Honda or Toyota for my next car - purely because I get a much more consistent and high quality dealer experience.

I agree with the others above - If you want Kia to rise to be more of a premium player you need to focus on dealer standards. The cars are excellent. The dealers are not.

·
Registered
502 Posts
When our Ceed SW CRDi went in for its first service it came back with the dipstick showing well above full. Took it back and the dealer who was initially insistant that I was not taking the correct reading and that it was fine since they had put exactly the 5.3 litres in that was specified by Kia. I was equally insistant that they would drain some out which they did, about 1/2 a pint which put the level to exactly the full mark both in their workshop and on our drive.

1/2 pint is 0.3 litres, more of that later. The cost of the 5.3 litres of oil was £63 + VAT, more of that later.

The Kia handbook only specifies the amount of oil the engine holds but past experience with other brands has given 3 quantities which were fill form empty, fill fro a change with filter and fill for a change with no filter, these brands acknowledge that not all the oil drains out.

Before the next service I asked the dealer if they would use the oil I supplied whcich would be Kia spec oil and they said fine. So I bought 20 litres (enough for the next 4 services) of Total MC3 5w/30 oil (which is Kia/Hyundai approved) for £80 posted, little more than 5.3 litres of dealer oil.

At tthe next service I left a 5 litre in the footwell which they used but I was told it would need topping up to full since the engine needed 5.3 litres, said OK. Next day checked the oil using the correct proceedure and guess what, it was spot on the full mark. Exactly the same at the next 2 services. For the 5 yers we had the car it never used a dtop of oil and only had 5 litres in at a service (other than the foirst when they had to drain 0.3 litres out).

Seem to me that our dealer and others do not have the brains to work out that 5.3 litres ois too much in a Ceed and teh specified quantity is for a fill for a totally dry engine which is only the first fill at the factory.

Never had this with any other brand.

Are Kia dealers selected for their inability to think?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts

We quoted as written on the PDI checksheet but dealers are expected to make adjustments so the particular item is within manufacturer's guidelines and/or to MOT standard.

KCS

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Call me pedantic but what will ‘Operations Management’ do with the information?

If there exists such a thing these days as a PDI, then why are not all dealers performing that task? Alternatively, if they are lying, pretending to have performed the work when they haven’t, how will feeding ’Turnup’s point back to the office you mention help to ensure that dealers actually perform this important task on every single new car?

For what it’s worth, I think Hyundai/KIA produce some excellent motor cars with quality second to very few. Their appointed dealers, however, let the side down by skimping on important tasks so KIA UK needs to do some serious arse-kicking or their jobs will disappear over time as it doesn’t take very long for a brand to become the butt of jokes with sales diminishing and competitors enjoying the resultant bounce away from the marque.

Poor servicing is a perennial complaint from owners in this forum and just to point the finger at one particular item, the oil level after an oil/filter change should never, ever be over the max level on the dipstick. Now, I know exactly what causes that, as I’m sure do many others, but it is unforgivable to display such lack of care and attention towards a paying customer and many dealers seem to be guilty of corner-cutting in pursuit of maximising profits.

From experience, I’m aware that the kind of problem described by ’Turnup’ and previously by other members is most certainly not unique to KIA but I’m concerned that KIA place too much reliance on their 7-year warranty to the detriment of other customer relations issues. If a long warranty were the be-all and end-all of car-ownership, then KIA would be outselling just about every other manufacturer with models in the UK. Now, I know that KIA stole a march on the UK competition when they hit the market with that long warranty but for many car-owners, there are other attractions besides a long warranty.

KIA could do its enterprise a huge favour and steal another march on the competition by developing award-winning servicing and dealer satisfaction but that won’t happen until they actually crack down on those dealers failing to provide service of an acceptable standard, let alone gain the confidence of owners and the praise of the motoring journalists.

I fear that by simply passing the matter up to Ops Management, the issue will simply be buried and never acted upon unless KIA UK is able to reassure customers and consumers at large in a demonstrable way. How about it KIA?
Hi Indalo

Ops can cascade this out to Regional Business Managers who work with dealers to uphold / improve Kia standards. We should first note the OP's personal experience was over 3 years ago. Also, we haven't had direct contact from any other forum member to make a PDI related complaint about a recent handover that we can raise with their particular dealer.

After every handover, our customers are sent thorough customer satisfaction surveys to complete. This allows issues like this to be quickly picked up and escalated with the relevant dealer management teams.

KCS

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Ops can cascade this out to Regional Business Managers who work with dealers to uphold / improve Kia standards.
Ok. In that case, the system has clearly not been working unless all the complainants who have flagged up PDI and/or servicing issues in these pages have been lying? Perhaps these ‘Regional Business Managers’ should be furnished from now on with every complaint from customers, concerning shoddy PDIs and slapdash servicing.

For what it’s worth, I have no idea what regional business managers actually do. Perhaps you could arrange for one to address this forum with an explanation of their purpose within the KIA hierarchy?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Picked up my E-Niro 4 Friday 20th March. Not checked headlight alignment but all 4 tyres were at 41psi. Should be 36 and were 36 in my previous Niro 3 '66 plate hybrid.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Picked up my E-Niro 4 Friday 20th March. Not checked headlight alignment but all 4 tyres were at 41psi. Should be 36 and were 36 in my previous Niro 3 '66 plate hybrid.
So why not pass the complaint to KCS as they intimated in their reply to Indalo above and we will see what happens?

·
Registered
623 Posts
So why not pass the complaint to KCS as they intimated in their reply to Indalo above and we will see what happens?
I thought I had. Isn't that the purpose of this particular forum. They monitor, and where appropriate, reply. Even if no reply received anything relevant is passed up the line. I know this because I received a refund on a dealer fitted accessory after posting on this forum.

·
Registered
998 Posts
After every handover, our customers are sent thorough customer satisfaction surveys to complete. This allows issues like this to be quickly picked up and escalated with the relevant dealer management teams.

KCS
I picked my 2019 Sportage up on Sunday 31st June 2019 and never had the need to drive in the dark until October 2019, that is when I noticed the headlight were out of alignment.
I was away on holiday at the time (October) and contacted the dealer I bought it from when I returned, they had the vehicle in and they allegedly found the "fault" to be "the bulb wasn`t fitted in correctly"! I left and when it became dark i found the headlight aim was still incorrect and as it is a 100 + mile round trip to the dealers i haven`t had the time or the willpower to return and sort the problem out! The vehicle has basically been parked up since.

The tyre pressures were checked before I drove it too far after I picked it up and that`s when I noticed the somewhat high pressure after reading other member`s posts on KIA Owners Club and thought it wasn`t only the tyres that were over inflated, the servicing prices are as well, but that`s one for a different thread!!

As for the customer satisfaction survey that is probably still sat in my spam box as i don`t reply to surveys or spam, IMO the jPre Delivery Inspection should be done right first time.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I thought I had. Isn't that the purpose of this particular forum. They monitor, and where appropriate, reply. Even if no reply received anything relevant is passed up the line. I know this because I received a refund on a dealer fitted accessory after posting on this forum.
wishful thinking

·
Administrator
7,481 Posts
Don't think it's wishful thinking DrWho.

Kia Customer Services have been a full member of this site for about eight years after I approached them to see if they wanted to be part of their customers community.

I know the person who represents KCS here whom I have spoken with on many occasions and assure you he and his team always do their best to help and advise and will get dealers involved if needed as he and Kia uk are aware they need to embrace customer feedback.

To my knowledge I am not aware of any other car forum where the manufacture is a contributing member....I think that is a big statement of Kias intentions.

Paul

·
Registered
374 Posts
Don't think it's wishful thinking DrWho.

Kia Customer Services have been a full member of this site for about eight years after I approached them to see if they wanted to be part of their customers community.

I know the person who represents KCS here whom I have spoken with on many occasions and assure you he and his team always do their best to help and advise and will get dealers involved if needed as he and Kia uk are aware they need to embrace customer feedback.

To my knowledge I am not aware of any other car forum where the manufacture is a contributing member....I think that is a big statement of Kias intentions.

Paul
Sorry Paul, didn't mean to offend but reacting to the following line from KCS last post above. I read it as meaning they needed specific and direct complaints to themselves rather than posts on this forum

Also, we haven't had direct contact from any other forum member to make a PDI related complaint about a recent handover that we can raise with their particular dealer.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Kia uk are aware they need to embrace customer feedback.
I look forward then to never reading another complaint about oil being over the Max level mark after a service by a KIA-appointed dealer. Ditto that for the PDI work that rarely seems to be performed and where it has been (allegedly) performed, it has been done poorly.

·
Administrator
7,481 Posts
I know they do note comments about PDI/service issues and feedback it back to management, but they can only interject 'directly' to a specific dealer about a specific issue if a complaint is received/logged. (If it is a member of the this forum its best to PM them with your and dealers details).

I think Indalo you're going to still hear horror stories but hope the complainant does ring KCS to give them a chance to sort 'sloppy' dealer standards at the source.

@Drwho2.....you didn't offend.

Guess what I'm saying is if any member has an issue with service they get from any Kia dealer, contact KCS directly and they will action it.

Paul

·
Registered
17 Posts
I used to work in design, on the assembly of cars for ford, though most car assembly plants are similar
Headlight alignment was never a factory set thing as far as I recall, it would take far too long and use too much space. The lamps were built to average settings and just plonked in the holes.
Tyre pressures were set in the fitting section, again not checked on the assembly line, I know high tyre pressures caused issues for a seat supplier so not a new issue.
Overfilling oil should never happen if the level is checked after the service, so either the check isn’t happening or the fitter ignores the result.
I suspect there are a lot of corners cut to make ends meet for the jobs, with menu pricing and lots of other jobs being fixed price the garages need to at least break even.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts