Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an 04 sedona from a main Kia dealer in the south of Hampshire area two years ago on Finance. The car has given me nothing but trouble.
Had to fit a new cam belt, new pulleys and tensioner more than once, ECU, Alternator, total cost of repairer £1650.

I went to the dealer written emails, written letters but silence. All i want is to get rid of the thing and buy a new car, but for the cost incurred and hassle i have had, i asked for a good deal. Nearly a month on nothing. I am very disappointed with this dealer, i thought buying from a kia main dealer i was going to get some peace of mind and some hassle free motoring, how wrong was i. I know cars of that age go wrong, but itsthe waythe dealer has chooseto ignore my problem that has disappointed me.

Now when i turn the steering wheel it sometimes makes a noise, more when under load, IEon a steep hill turning. I am reluctant to name the dealer, i am hoping they will read this and act upon it. I am not an unreasonable guy but enough enough. I also heard that you can get the finance company involved? Failing that trading standards may be an idea?

·
Registered
28 Posts
What warranty did you get with the car and when did the problems start happening?

You havent mentioned the mileage but a cambelt is an age/mileage related item so you this should not have come as a 'surprise'. The pulleys and tensioner are normally replaced at the same time as a precautionary measure whilst the engine is in bits.

The ECU normally lasts the life of the vehicle so that is the only part that stands out as being unusual unless the Sedona has a known issue with these.

Why were the cambelt and sundries replaced a second time?

As you say, things can fail as the car gets older so not sure if you have much of a case for complaint unless it started happening shortly after you bought the car and the dealer has been unhelpful since then.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cam belt and kit were fitted, To replace all the pulleys etc at the sametime would be added costs in to the hundreds and not necessary unless you had an issue with them. I do have redress regardless if it happened with in my finance agreement. I have now forwarded the complaint to the finance company. As you can claim against them if you have been sold a vehicle that is a lemon. All this could of been avoided if Kia had the decency to reply to my letters, email and call me after i saw them in person.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just want to add this, you state you dont know what case i have to complain? I wonder how you would feel if you had a car from a dealer and you forked out £1650 with in two years while trying to pay the finance?
The facts are at 50k the cam belt needed replacing, ECU goes, pulleys ect start to fail, Alternator starts to fail. Steering is now playing up and i have significant rust coming through. Maybe you can blame that on me as well? All with in two years of buying the car and you deem that acceptable

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am not saying that it is your fault. Buying from a dealer can give you some backup in the form of a warranty, etc. compared to buying privatley to cover issues like this.

What was the mileage on the car when you bought it and what warranty did it come with? How long did you have the car before the issues started happening? If it came with a warranty then that should have covered the alternator, ECU, etc. but if the warranty had expired or it was some time after you bought the car when the problems started happening then you may not have much recourse. If the problems started happening within the warranty period what did the dealer say when you made a claim?

Looking online a cambelt seems to be 60k or 6 years for a Sedona so I assume it was done at 50k as you hit the time rather than mileage limit? Engines with cambelts need changing at some point so I think this is bad timing rather than a failure.

Have you asked in the Sedona forum to see if parts like the alternator, ECU, etc. are known to fail on this year of car?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I can't see what the issue is. 05plate passat. A year younger than your Sedona needed last year to get through its MOT and to make right..4 new injectors £220 reconditioned EACH, set of heater plugs £80. Rear break calliper £175, 2 front wishbones £250, clutch £800, Cambelt and fitting kit £270, With labour the total job came to around £3000. But a cars not like a sofa. You still have to maintain the thing regardless of if you've still got finance on it. Other than the rear calliper on my passat at the other items were items that are age limited or eventually wear out thought milage,,of which it only had 65000miles at the time.

And just as a note...I still had finance remaining on my passat and that was after 4yrs and out of warranty. 2yrs is still a hell of a long time in terms of a cars wear and tear.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Dustyjoe,

Agree with RichieD76.
The law says the supplying dealer is legally responsible for 6 months for any faults that could have been present when you purchased the car, tho' sometimes you may have to involve your finance company or trading standards to get them to accept responsibility.
After this, unless you have an extended warranty you're on your own.It doesn't matter if you have finance or not.

If some of the faults you describe occured during the first six months of purchase then you may have a case against the dealer so long as you can show you have proof of reporting them to the dealer. A quick google will show that Sedonas of that age are prone to rust particularly in the welded seams for example.

What mileage have you done since purchase?

Certainly contact Trading Standards, they will at least tell you your legal position regarding redress but it looks like you just got unlucky. I have a friend with a 2003 Sedona with over 130,000 on the clock and except for a couple of minor niggles has never had a major problem. He also had a Rio,and now a Cee'd- his 3rd- and a picanto for his wife to run around in. He had major problems with one early Cee'd and after some jumping up and down with Kia UK they replaced it( it was only 3 months old!) and gave him 3 years free servicing at our local Kia dealer.

I had a two year old volvo that was more trouble than it was worth, always somthing going wrong but it was out of warranty so just traded it in against the Carens I run now.

Good luck in your quest but I feel you may not get the satisfaction you want.

I agree your supplying dealer seem to be lacking customer care skills, they should at least have politely explained to you where you stood regarding warranty etc.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After this, unless you have an extended warranty you're on your own.It doesn't matter if you have finance or not.

Thats where you are wrong, even Santander have asked me for all the details and proof, as they legally own the car. We will all have to beg to differ, as i think forking out £1650 on a car. One thing we can agree on is the poor customer service. The warning signs were there at the beginning, when i realised they never gave me a years MOT, in fact it was less than 3 months to due date. Plus a tyre that was on the legal limit that i asked them to replace after i just got the car.
The car has 70k on the clock, was about 45 ish give or take when i bought it. Trouble started around the 55k mark.

The irony is i wanted to buy a new car from the dealer if we could come to some agreement on a deal, as i have had a bad experience with that car. The answer was get back to you and thennothing.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Well I agree with you there. I was under the understanding all cars sold by dealers were to come with 12months MOT regardless of exciting mot certificate. And if the tire was on the legal limit it would have had an advisory. Which again a dealer can't sell a car with an active advisory. Just out of interest....was it a Kia dealership you brought the car from or an independent dealer?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No itis a kia main dealer. I got the tyre sorted before the three months were up and got a free MOT after i complained. Also with the tensioners and pulleys, i had work done by kia and it did not rectify the noises and i was still charged, after 3 to 4 visits, they blamed another pulley etc. On pulley i had done by my local garage 6 to 8 monthsmonths earlier. I did start having doubts, as if that's the case, why did they replace wrong parts and never found the problem in the first place.Things just don't add up, now i find my self feeling rather bitter about my whole experience with Kia, shame as i like the brand and will more than likely buy another, but i will go to the other main dealer around my way.
Sorry about the last post not making to much sense, finished work and was munching dinner while typing

·
Registered
28 Posts
I dont believe there is any min MOT length that a used car from a dealer should be sold with.

Normally they will put it through it there is < 6months left but its normally something that is negotiated at the point of sale. From the dealers point of view there no point spending any money on the car if it doesnt sell and ends up at the auction again.

An advisory is just that. It doesnt make the car illegal, just advises you that something is getting close to the point of needing to be replaced.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Agreed but you have to check/ask for it rather than assume that will be the case. A new MOT, tyres, etc. eats into the profit so they wont provide it unless you negotiate it in.

Please dont take this as a personal attack but 'buyer beware' is very much the key for any used car. There is no guarantee that a car from a dealer will be any better than a private sale - sometimes a private sale is better as it may be 'looked after' rather than an ex-rental, ex-fleet from the auction, etc.

Going over every used car you are thinking of buying with a fine tooth comb and using every fault to get some money off (or fixed) plus research to see what the common faults are, cambelt change intervals (if applicable), etc. are all ammunition that you can use.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You are right lesson learned. I will be far more weary of main dealers in the future and not take it for granted that they will always do the right thing, even when paying a premium price

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update, my letter to Santander worked and kia are now dealing with my issues and hopfully a new car will be in my drive way soon. Thank you everyone for your comments regardless if i agreed or not

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,289 Posts
Hi Dustyjoe, just a quick question on how you managed to get santander on board. With secured and unsecured loans the car is yours once the agreement is signed and the financing company have no further interst in it.
Only a Hire Purchase agreement ensures the car remains the property of the finance company and does not belong to you until the final payment is made. But that does not mean you can give the car back to them and cease the agreement if you have problems with itso I'm curious about why they are wanting to get involved.
Sorry if I'm being nosey but how you managed to get Santander to support you could be very useful to others in the same position. Cheers
Phil

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was told by my mums friend who is a car trader that they own the car until final payment and you have some redresse, if the car is sub standard. Must be some truth in it, as it worked for .

Maybe to do that you get the finance from the dealer and loan is subject to that carand i didnot get the loan independently. As this was not a personal loan to buy what i choose

There maybe laws to protect the customer?

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,289 Posts
Thanks for the info Dustyjoe and I hope you get sorted ok.Phil

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorted is not the word

I will be picking up my brand new picanto on friday. My finance has been paid off for me so that goes some way in helping me out and bent over backwards to bring the finance down on my new car. Only thing that did put me out a bit was buying a car for 6ktwo years ago and getting it valued at £1800 They upped that by a little.

The main thing is i now will have a car that will be very cheap to run, no road tax and 7 years hassle free motoring. I hope

1 - 20 of 26 Posts