Kia Owners Club Forum banner

Dead Niro PHEV

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  iooi 
#1 ·
I just had the scary experience of a completely dead Niro PHEV.
Coming back after 6 hours volunteering to the car (67 plate) I switched on and was greeted by a CHECK BRAKES. After several retry’s it changed to a black screen with red airbag symbol. Door locking failed, Stuck in P. Sat nav screen still OK.
I left car after manually locking and got a lift home. Returned day later with worn screwdriver to prize open release shift lock and climbed in boot and removed clutter to release tailgate and try a reset by disconnecting the 12v battery
When Greenflag got there they quickly diagnosed Aux. 12v battery was problem and car lit up as normal. He advised my to immediately drive to the Kia dealer, without switching off and get new battery.
I recount this saga to inform others. There was no explicate warning on the dash or in the manual. Such a major fault and such an easy fix.
My advice is always carry a tool to access shiftlock release and keep boot as empty as possible especially if your battery is over 4 years old.

#2 ·
You were lucky you got in & had some power. Many can not get in other than the emergency key in the fob.

Or as many EV owners do... Carry one of these.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.