Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the lockdown my car hasn't been used for a week and it appears battery dead. No one has a 'special charger' for its stop/ start so I've ordered a new battery -
Any advice on cautions when fitting the new one?

·
Registered
683 Posts
No one has a charger for the AGM battery? Do you mean they are out of stock? Logically there will be many in your position, so I suppose a run on AGM compatible chargers it is likely. But buying a new battery seems a drastic solution.

Could you not get a boost or jump start (Be careful here if you do, you must not connect both terminals direct to the battery [also when charging] but the negative must go to a chassis/engine part, I use the front of the alternator mounting lug. (Also with engine running you must put load on ie blower heated screen lights, before disconnecting the booster cable)

If you replace the battery I suggest if you have never done one before that you first photograph both battery terminals with the cover up on the Positive, also from above the position in which the battery sits and the clamps which hold it in place. If you find you need to move any other parts photo them first showing how/where they fit and their fixings.

So assuming dead battery loosen clamp nuts/bolts securing the positive terminal assembly (hereafter "assy") on its tapered round post. [if different type with flat lug post then you will need to remove bolt, retain this together with nut] Lift +ve (positive) terminal assy clear and tie back if necessary to allow clear removal of battery. Similarly loosen the -ve terminal [unbolt if flat lug terminal] Lift -ve terminal assy aside and position clear of battery.

Inspect battery retention clamps, depending on the type of battery these may be on the top edge or on the foot of the battery, there may be on or two clamps again depending on type of battery. Take photo and note of method employed on your vehicle. Some types may merely be loosened and pushed away, while other need complete removal. NOTE clamps may get in the way when fitting the new battery be careful not to drop any parts into the inaccessible depths (a magnet on a stick, torch and mirror mat be needed to recover the item)

Loosen/remove battery clamps as necessary then lift battery out taking care not to touch terminal post on any part of the car. Keep the battery upright, it will be heavy!

Take your expensive new (correct type and configuration we hope) pre-charged battery and while avoiding touching the connection posts/lugs fir into the car in the same position as the old one.
Engage and tighten the clamps.
Connect earth terminal assy to negative battery post, tighten, remembering that lead bends easily! Similarly affix the positive terminal assy to the battery positive post, here note place on firmly do not allow intermittent contact ir do not drag or scrape it on. (battery connection will generate emf spikes) tighten terminal fixing bolt. (firmly but not too tight)

Now allow the car to sit for a while before starting, it takes the Kia brain a long time to realise wht stat it is in and the battery charge level/

I very strongly recommend that when you can get on you do buy an AGM compatible charger. I found the AGM batteries on my previous cars to be highly strung delicate things despite their official opposite specification. I often needed to charge then up when the car had standing for a few days.
Unfortunately Kia use what they say is the most ecological charging profile, which means that the alternator only put on what is being used, it does not charge it UP except on the overrun. Thus a home charge is almost a necessity. However they may have changed the profile since I had mine.
(I now have an auto which has a normal battery which as stayed up for two months standing)

Best of luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thankyou - I have no idea what that means - but my fella will be thankful of the info
Never had a problem before with the Kia - no one had one to loan me and yes expensive

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thankyou - I have no idea what that means - but my fella will be thankful of the info
Never had a problem before with the Kia - no one had one to loan me and yes expensive
you will need a mirror and 13mm spanner .the battery is fixed at the bottom rear
of the battery tray.use a mirror to see the bolts for clamp .remove clamp the battery will then lift
out after removing leads from top of battery

·
Registered
91 Posts
No one has a charger for the AGM battery? Do you mean they are out of stock? Logically there will be many in your position, so I suppose a run on AGM compatible chargers it is likely. But buying a new battery seems a drastic solution.
Excuse my ignorance but I have a 2014 1.6 diesel Venga. Does it need a special charger? Does that mean that the batery charger I have had for 20 years is not suitable. I was relying on it if I couldn't start the car ad in the last 6 weeks I have only used my car once for a 6 mile round trip to the supermarket. If my existing battery charger is not suitable what type of battery charger do I need please.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Excuse my ignorance but I have a 2014 1.6 diesel Venga. Does it need a special charger? Does that mean that the batery charger I have had for 20 years is not suitable. I was relying on it if I couldn't start the car ad in the last 6 weeks I have only used my car once for a 6 mile round trip to the supermarket. If my existing battery charger is not suitable what type of battery charger do I need please.
"Special" chargers are generally for AGM batteries and AGM batteries are normally in stop / start cars.
I'm guessing your charger is like mine with a simple meter indicating charging rate maybe a 6v /12v switch.
If you haven't got stop / start option then your battery is probably "standard" which means it should be fine with a standard charger.

I would say it is advisable to charge a battery off the car / disconnected as less risk of frying an expensive electronic control box. If you do this, remember no battery equals things like trip mileage / mpg rates may be forgotten so if you want to keep all that info you'll need a memory saver do dah.

Also, I'm not a Kia mechanic so any work you do is at your own risk etc, not my fault if the car expires in a ball of flames.
If unsure, the battery should have its type written on it somewhere in either proper English or in a code you put in Google and look up.
Mine is a 2012 Auto petrol so I definitely have a standard battery

·
Registered
91 Posts
"Special" chargers are generally for AGM batteries and AGM batteries are normally in stop / start cars.
I must have an AGM battery as I have a stop/start car but the stop start hasn't worked for years, which from reading this forum isn't unusual.

What sort of charger do I need for an AGM battery, so I can start looking around in the future?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Smart charger with an AGM program from people like Ctek MX5 expensive £50> or Lidl / Aldi £15 (when they have them)

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I'm guessing your charger is like mine with a simple meter indicating charging rate maybe a 6v /12v switch.
If you haven't got stop / start option then your battery is probably "standard" which means it should be fine with a standard charger.

I would say it is advisable to charge a battery off the car / disconnected as less risk of frying an expensive electronic control box. If you do this, remember no battery equals things like trip mileage / mpg rates may be forgotten so if you want to keep all that info you'll need a memory saver do dah.

Also, I'm not a Kia mechanic so any work you do is at your own risk etc, not my fault if the car expires in a ball of flames.
If unsure, the battery should have its type written on it somewhere in either proper English or in a code you put in Google and look up.
Mine is a 2012 Auto petrol so I definitely have a standard battery
Not at all necessary to even disconnect the battery much less remove it for ordinary charging. Note that in normal use the alternator will charge the battery in situ at up to 60 A, far more than an ordinary charger can deliver.

·
Registered
180 Posts
these connections are for Ctek chargers. If you want your family to be safe when charging the battery while you're away or for anyone who's unsure about connecting a charger then they cant go wrong if there's one of these allready connected to the battery. Can be located so the battery can be charged without even opening the hood if desired. All Ctek charger have this connection, including on the aligator clips

1 - 10 of 10 Posts