Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm a week into my fourth new Sportage, I don't seem to get bored of them.

My first was a 2012 1.7 diesel 3 spec, it was a manual with ISG (Intelligent Stop and Go, as it was called then).

My latest is a petrol GT-Line S, DCT, with ISG (now called Idle Stop and Go - I guess the intelligent wasn't so intelligent).

In the manual, the method to activate ISG was to stop, apply the handbrake, put the gear to neutral and then release the clutch pedal. At this point the engine would stop (if all the right factors were met, battery charge etc). To "go" when the clutch was depressed, the engine would start.

Now, with the DCT I find the behaviour odd. When the car comes to a stop, and your foot remains on the footbrake (or you have Auto Hold turned on), the engine will stop. To go, you release the footbrake (or if Auto Hold is on, depress the accelerator).
What I find odd is that this behaviour is annoying when you come to a junction, roundabout, or need to give way, you may only need to briefly pause to assess the traffic, but that pause is sufficient to cut the engine. No sooner has the engine stopped, and you're releasing the brake to set off, so the engine restarts after a second or less of being off. The major flaw with this is the delay in setting off, especially if the junction is busy.
There seems to be no intelligence applied to when ISG will be employed. I know there is a button on the dash to turn off ISG, but it's not the most convenient place to be fiddling with whilst driving, and to be honest I don't really want to be turning it on and off dependent on the road conditions (it might not be so bad if the button was mounted on the steering wheel).

I can't help but feel that this tiny amount of engine stopping was not the intended use for ISG, but I can't see how Kia could have overlooked brief pauses for junctions and the like. It feels like the ISG should utilise some of the other tech in the car (such as the radar or windscreen camera) to detect the optimum times to engage ISG.

What are others' experiences of DCT and ISG? Have you found a suitable way to make use of the ISG, or is it simply more of an annoyance than a benefit?

·
Registered
Kia Sportage GT Line S 2019 (69 plate)
841 Posts
Well, I'm a week into my fourth new Sportage, I don't seem to get bored of them.

My first was a 2012 1.7 diesel 3 spec, it was a manual with ISG (Intelligent Stop and Go, as it was called then).

My latest is a petrol GT-Line S, DCT, with ISG (now called Idle Stop and Go - I guess the intelligent wasn't so intelligent).

In the manual, the method to activate ISG was to stop, apply the handbrake, put the gear to neutral and then release the clutch pedal. At this point the engine would stop (if all the right factors were met, battery charge etc). To "go" when the clutch was depressed, the engine would start.

Now, with the DCT I find the behaviour odd. When the car comes to a stop, and your foot remains on the footbrake (or you have Auto Hold turned on), the engine will stop. To go, you release the footbrake (or if Auto Hold is on, depress the accelerator).
What I find odd is that this behaviour is annoying when you come to a junction, roundabout, or need to give way, you may only need to briefly pause to assess the traffic, but that pause is sufficient to cut the engine. No sooner has the engine stopped, and you're releasing the brake to set off, so the engine restarts after a second or less of being off. The major flaw with this is the delay in setting off, especially if the junction is busy.
There seems to be no intelligence applied to when ISG will be employed. I know there is a button on the dash to turn off ISG, but it's not the most convenient place to be fiddling with whilst driving, and to be honest I don't really want to be turning it on and off dependent on the road conditions (it might not be so bad if the button was mounted on the steering wheel).

I can't help but feel that this tiny amount of engine stopping was not the intended use for ISG, but I can't see how Kia could have overlooked brief pauses for junctions and the like. It feels like the ISG should utilise some of the other tech in the car (such as the radar or windscreen camera) to detect the optimum times to engage ISG.

What are others' experiences of DCT and ISG? Have you found a suitable way to make use of the ISG, or is it simply more of an annoyance than a benefit?
Best way for this is to just turn it off. I never have my ISG enabled due to the same annoyance you’ve described. Plus as others have said on here previously, the constant start stop etc will cause more wear/strain on some components. Just turn it off each time you switch on engine, that’s what I do anyway.

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
385 Posts
Get in the car, press start, press ISG button, press auto hold, drive away.
ISG is a pain in the sphincter.

·
Registered
2017 GT Line S 1.6 Petrol AWD
209 Posts
Must admit. If I had it on my car I would turn it off.
My last car had it but you could restart engine by moving steering wheel slightly. Much better that way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2020 Rio GT Line DCT, and I've noticed that if I apply the brake just enough to stop the car from creeping forward the ISG doesn't engage, if I then apply a bit more pressure while stationary it engages.

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
385 Posts
Exactly right, but until either the car has fully stopped with the footbrake application, or the handbrake is on, the clutches don't disengage and that's why the ISG doesn't turn the engine off. Watch your revcounter & you'll see what I mean. It's a shame the brake lights don't go off after (say) 5 seconds after you've stopped and auto hold lights up green on the dash. When I set off from standstill with auto hold, I tend to just tap the accelerator gently, auto hold disengages, engine revs go up a couple of hundred rpm and clutches engage, then accelerate away as normal. Possibly not needed, but it will give the dct an easier life and I don't want a big bill at some time in the future the day after the warranty expires.......

Reactions: Philly Style

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have a 2020 Rio GT Line DCT, and I've noticed that if I apply the brake just enough to stop the car from creeping forward the ISG doesn't engage, if I then apply a bit more pressure while stationary it engages.
That is exactly my experience.

Same with Auto Hold engaged (I always use Auto Hold). I can stop and hold the car on the brakes without engaging AH; press a little harder and AH comes on along with the engine stopping if the ISG parameters have been fulfilled.

Unlike others I actually like ISG. Mine hasn't worked for months but just last week burst into existence again.

·
Super Moderator
3,409 Posts
Manual box, but I have the same experience with Auto Hold, gently come to a stop and auto hold does not engage, give an extra press and on comes the green light. With my car being a diesel engine I have no expectation that the ISG will work and for the most part it doesn't.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.