Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I bought a Kia Niro in Spain in 2018 and brought it back to the UK in Jan 2021. Since then I have been trying to register it with the DVLA (!).
The last rejection I received was because I had not provided a sufficient "dating letter". The DVLA directed me to a "List of Vehicle Owners Clubs (V765/1) but there does not seem to be a club for Kia´s listed there.
Does anyone know of a vehicle owners club that can provide me with a letter? I have all other supporting documentation including the certificate of conformity etc.

Thanks in advance. As you can imagine I have had the car off the road for nearly nine months and I am starting to get desperate!

·
Super Moderator
9,472 Posts
Hi & Welcome.
Best bet would be to contact Kia europe with the VIN. They should be able to provide the info you require.

Other option would be to try Kia Uk and see if they can find any info via VIN.
Kia Customer Service
[email protected]
0333 202 2990

Visit www.kia.co.uk
Join in www.facebook.com/kiamotorsuk
Enjoy www.youtube.com/kiamotorsuk
Follow us @KiaUK on twitter

Call centre opening hours:

Monday to Friday - 8:30am - 7pm
Saturday: 9am - 1pm
Sunday: Closed

Not aware of any club that could provide the info you require.

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
769 Posts
Hi everyone,
I bought a Kia Niro in Spain in 2018 and brought it back to the UK in Jan 2021. Since then I have been trying to register it with the DVLA (!).
The last rejection I received was because I had not provided a sufficient "dating letter". The DVLA directed me to a "List of Vehicle Owners Clubs (V765/1) but there does not seem to be a club for Kia´s listed there.
Does anyone know of a vehicle owners club that can provide me with a letter? I have all other supporting documentation including the certificate of conformity etc.

Thanks in advance. As you can imagine I have had the car off the road for nearly nine months and I am starting to get desperate!
Looking at the letter it would seem that this is relevant to classic cars rather than ones that have a VIN number that clearly states the date of manufacture. Having said that arguing the toss with the DVLA is likely to get the 'computer says no' reply but you could ask for clarification in case someone there has made a mistake.

Provided you have the HMRC NOVA documents that they refer to you could try asking KCS if they would be kind enough to sign off this letter but if not try taking all the paperwork to your local Kia dealer with a full decode of the VIN number and they might help you out, I'd ask to see the general manager as he would most likely know who could help you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for your suggestions so far.

Kia UK are unable to help because the car was purchased outside the UK. In fact trying to help, they directed me to this forum.

The two main difficulties I have with the process are:
1. The DVLA contact centre gives different advice compared to the person that receives and processes the application. This has happened to me twice now and resulted in 2 rejections.
2. The current turn around time for an application is 6 weeks. Meaning that every rejection can delay the process by up to two months.

Anyway, I didn´t want to create a thread complaining about the DVLA so I´ll stop there!

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
769 Posts
Many thanks for your suggestions so far.

Kia UK are unable to help because the car was purchased outside the UK. In fact trying to help, they directed me to this forum.

The two main difficulties I have with the process are:
1. The DVLA contact centre gives different advice compared to the person that receives and processes the application. This has happened to me twice now and resulted in 2 rejections.
2. The current turn around time for an application is 6 weeks. Meaning that every rejection can delay the process by up to two months.

Anyway, I didn´t want to create a thread complaining about the DVLA so I´ll stop there!
Such a difficult situation

As I said before this letter the dvla are asking for seems to be for vehicles that are difficult to put a manufactured date on such as classic cars, in your case the vin should be all that's required I wonder if it would be worth decoding the vin with https://vindecoder.eu/kia or something similar and sending the print out.

With a 6 week turn round though you do need to get someone in the dvla to agree this and document the file so that its not rejected when you submit it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.