Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Sportage 1.7 Diesel
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a dashcam for my 2012 Sportage. Doesn't have to be expensive, just to do the job. Front only or front and rear. I am handy with mechanicals and basic electrickery (fitted radios etc). All suggestions and advice greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
All suggestions and advice greatly appreciated.
As with most things, by and large you get what you pay for. All the well-known brands that produce dash cams are fairly decent but if you want the very best in picture quality in all conditions, then you should avoid the budget-priced makes.

Although I have front and rear cams courtesy of NextBase, I think one has to try pretty hard to justify the presence of the rear cam.......yes, I know there is always the possibility of that capturing some detail that the front cam wouldn't or couldn't but the front cam is probably far more relevant in most cases.

I have noticed that quite often when an idiot tailgates me, the car suddenly backs off for no other reason, I guess, than the fact that the driver has spotted the camera lens in my tailgate window so perhaps that justifies its presence.

The fitment of a front screen cam is pretty straightforward so long as it is correctly connected to the internal fusebox, the easiest method being via a piggyback fuse. Concealing the cable behind trim is fairly simple with the aid of a 'spudger' or two, those useful tools for taking apart electronics in computers and phones for example.

Finding or creating a good earthing point in the vicinity of the fuse box might prove to be the trickiest part of the job, depending on accessibility in your particular model.

Good luck with it.

I forgot to add this link :rolleyes: : https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/uk/buying-guides/best-front-and-rear-dash-cams

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.