Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 1.6 ls diesel. The dashboard started rattling a few months ago. It has been looked at twice under warranty. This included a complete dashboard removal and refit with silicone grease around the console. It still rattles and seems to be a resonance caused from elsewhere on the car as the rear view mirror sometimes blurs and the steering wheel has a vibration through it (not the wheel balance type of shake). Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
32 Posts
As a starter - has the interior mirror been modified (under warranty) to stop it vibrating? There's a recent thread explaining what's involved. I doubt it will affect the steering wheel though !

·
Registered
94 Posts
If the steering wheel is shaking it has to be something to do with out of balance related to the rotation of the road wheels, but not necessarily the road wheels themselves, remember other things go around as well e.g. Brake Disc/Rotor or Drive Shaft, these sometime have a damper weight on them to stop vibration and it could have come off.

It seems from your description the dashboard rattle is due to vibration within the car, so the source of the vibration needs to be found, I would still start by getting the front wheels checked for dynamic balance and then go on from there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The wheel balance is fine. The dash rattle is sometimes present on its own. There has been no modifications to the interior. It's not even any good turning the radio up as it buzzes through that! It doesn't do it on completely smooth surfaces (when you can find them). That says to me that it's probably a materials/build quality problem that isn't going to go away anytime soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts