Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all. I'm in a panic. I had to jump start my Sportage this morning and since running some warning lights have remained on, the abs, hill descent and the caution light, I thought after driving off they would go. I've since stopped the car and started it again but again they remained on. I've put the batter of on charge now hoping a full charge will help.

Has any damage been done?!

·
Registered
892 Posts
It is not uncommon for some warning lights to come on if the battery voltage is or has been low. They may disappear after the battery has been charged.
How did you jump start it?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In a panic to get going, I was on a time scale I connected the car whilst his was still running.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Thanks. From a neighbour's car.
In a panic to get going, I was on a time scale I connected the car whilst his was still running.
I feel an utter fool now and a bit sick as I was rushing,
Perfectly fine - that's the method I have been using since forever. Your neighbpurs car will not charge it's battery any harder that yours will so the car systems will see nothing unusual. We do experience various electronic systems becoming confused if the voltage falls too low or if power restoration is not clean. I think that interrupting the normal start up sequence can lead to some bizarre conditions. Proper recharge usually sorts it. If still not right then disconnect the battery, leave it for a bit and re-connect it making sure that the connection is made firmly and with confidence so it connects properly first time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay thank you so much. I was more worried that connecting up whilst his engine was running I would blown some fuse or board that would end up costing loads of money!

I asked Kia to check the battery when it was in for service two weeks ago and they informed me it had correct voltage. I wonder if it's worth
replacing anyway as it looks to be the original one and given its a 2014 car surely it losing charge after a week's non use isn't right, despite the colder weather?

·
Registered
Sportage and Countryman, R1 and S1000RR
96 Posts
I put up a couple of posts last week when my dials remained stationary, I disconnected the battery left it on charge overnight, reconnected the next morning and everything was fine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have any of you experienced memory loss in the car when removing a battery? I just watch a video of someone saying it's best to use a memory pack due to the computers on board.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Memory loss will occur but only for relatively trivial things like trip meters and similar. Older vehicles had coded radios which need a code to unlock after power loss but these are relics these days. Anyway to reset your dash problems you need all the ECUs to properly reboot and this needs power completely off everything. A memory pack will prevent this.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Memory loss will occur but only for relatively trivial things like trip meters and similar. Older vehicles had coded radios which need a code to unlock after power loss but these are relics these days. Anyway to reset your dash problems you need all the ECUs to properly reboot and this needs power completely off everything. A memory pack will prevent this.

Thank you again. I always know I'll be reassured here. On my way home to see what the battery being on charge has done. Hopefully all back to normal!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've got home and started the car up but the lights didn't go out. I disconnected the battery, left it for about 2 mins and reconnected but still no joy. Did I leave disconnected for long enough?

·
Registered
892 Posts
2 minutes should have been long enough.
It should be safe to just use the car for a few trips, the lights may go out by themselves.

You mentioned: ABS , hill descent and the "caution" lamp. What caution lamp? Perhaps a slippery surface caution?

Just be aware that the anti skid braking may not be as effective untill the lamps go out.

There is a possibility that the battery is a bit weak and that the voltage drops too low when starting, but the warning lamps would usually go out after some driving in that.
case.

If they don't extinguish, they may need to be extinguished by a dealer with their scan tool. I think it's unlikely that your vehicle has suffered damage, it has just logged some events outwith normal perameters.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It should be safe to just use the car for a few trips, the lights may go out by themselves.

You mentioned: ABS , hill descent and the "caution" lamp. What caution lamp? Perhaps a slippery surface caution?

Just be aware that the anti skid braking may not be as effective untill the lamps go out.

There is a possibility that the battery is a bit weak and that the voltage drops too low when starting, but the warning lamps would usually go out after some driving in that.
case.

If they don't extinguish, they may need to be extinguished by a dealer with their scan tool. I think it's unlikely that your vehicle has suffered damage, it has just logged some events outwith normal perameters.
Okay thanks. I've read that you should leave the battery for 20 mins, but I've also read a long drive may help as you say.

I'll see what happens tomorrow and will no doubt update with news.

Thanks again for all the advice.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Morning all. I saw this to help reset your cars computer. Has anyone tried it?

Enter your Kia and place the key in the ignition, turning it as far as it will go without starting the engine. Push the lock button on your key fob for three seconds, until the lights on your dashboard blink. Your key has been reprogrammed, and your alarm and computer have been reset.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

case.

Here are the lights that are left on. Ignore the seatbelt one

I'm taking the car for a longer drive today as leaving the battery off for 20 mins didn't do anything

Will any mechanic be able to plug in and clear these lights or only main dealer?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I wonder whether you have another fault purely by coincidence. I had a ratty old Cavalier that would put up the ABS and handbrake lights due to the brake pedal switch being out of adjustment. Probably not in your case.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No luck with the long drive now. I'm now in fear that I've blown a module. Kia say worse case scenario is up to £500!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Will any mechanic be able to plug in and clear these lights or only main dealer?
any mechanic with the correct tool. Probably best to take it to a Kia dealer, though ask at other places if they have a diagnostic tool suitable for Kia's and say that you dont want to have to pay just to be told that their tool dosn't communicate well enough.

If you you have another fault purely by coincidence, then the dealer should see that when they connect their tool.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
any mechanic with the correct tool. Probably best to take it to a Kia dealer, though ask at other places if they have a diagnostic tool suitable for Kia's and say that you dont want to have to pay just to be told that their tool dosn't communicate well enough.

If you you have another fault purely by coincidence, then the dealer should see that when they connect their tool.
Thanks Jack. I'll wait until I take it in then. I hope me jump starting it in the unusual way hasn't been an expensive mistake.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts