Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have an issue with my KIA Ceed when we had very hot weather last year and this year as well I noticed the dashboard had come unglued near the windscreen and after doing some research I discovered this is actually quite a common problem as I watched videos from the EU, Russia and the USA here they all seem to have the same problem as me. But to repair this is going to be like finding hens teeth as to get to stick this back down is going to be nigh on impossible to glue back down done because you cannot get to it and it is quite thick and would be impossible to glue back down firmly.

many suggestions on how to get around this would be appreciated if anybody has successfully fixed this anode if so how did you accomplish this.

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Car Vehicle White Hood Light

Automotive tire Hood Synthetic rubber Tire Automotive design

Automotive lighting Window Car Hood Motor vehicle

Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood Automotive parking light

·
Registered
289 Posts
You've posted in the Picanto forum?

Regardless, I don't think you achieve much long lasting sucess in repairing that without removing the dashboard.
You've a few options once it's out.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
I had this same thing happen with a Landrover Discovery. I stuck it back down by filling a hyperdermic syringe with Evostic and injecting through the dash material. It takes quite a pressure to force the adhesive through the small needle. You may be able to find a thinner contact adhesive on the market. Pushed the dash down so the adhesive was applied to both the dash material and the metalwork below. Then allowed the dash to rise again so that both surfaces could dry. Left about half an hour and then pushed dash down again so it stuck. The needle made such small holes they could not be seen.

·
Registered
136 Posts
That an fortunate fault and one I've never seen. My take on this, is not to go to the expense of fixing this. I shudder to think what the labour is on that job to remove the dash, fix and refit - maybe 5 hours minimum @ £60-80 ph labour + parts and anything else that crops up. Also yo will will get rattles and possible airbag issues if not done properly.

Its crap but at that age of car, it is a first gen Cee'd so 12 plate or older at least a 10 year old car with a book "not retail" value" of £1000 or less. At that age of car, all money should go to keep it moving and serving duty, that fault isn't preventing the car working. Any excess money that could have gone for a repair should go to the increasing cost of an eventual replacement car, price have gone up 30% over 18 months ago.

If the fault isn't casing vison issues, I would either;

leave it

or try and secure by gluing or by section to the windscreen to hold down. Hard to explain but like a 2-3 inch plastic or metal section that is attached to the dash and then pushed down and held under a locking point on the windscreen to keep low. Its going to be unsightly but it can be covered up with a mesh rubber mat or cloth.

Sorry for my advice, I think realistic. Assume you spend £500 fixing and then a cambelt/chain goes or an accident that writes the car off in the next few months would see none of that money back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts