Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, from my "ITS HERE" topic yesterday, you may have guessed that i have now after 14 weeks recieved my new Rio.

Drove it to work this morning and it sounded as if the Dash wasnt attatched to rest of the car.

I had seen a few threads on here describing a "rattle" but this is an understatmenet. Unless mine is much worse than everyone elses, its totally unacceptable and sounds horrific, worse still is that it had a 161 mile journey to be delivered to me and the clown who dropped it never mentioned it all.

It is a company supplied vehical via Zenith, so i have been on to them to resolve. I have been advised that my local Kia garage (rigways in Leeds) can not have the car in and supply me with a courtesy car until the 26th of March...which is not acceptable.

This has now this morning being escalated to the Kia Fleet manager, partly i think because the Bank i work for provide the finance for Kia main dealers, and they are aware that i will be rejecting the vehical back to them on Fridayunder the sale of goods act as it is not fit for purpose, if it hasnt been taken away to be fixed and i have been provided a loaner in its place.

This is a real shame. Its a nice little car that ticks all my boxes, but i am very dissapointed with Kia for delivering a new car in this poor state of repair.

It will obviously taint my opinion of the car now even if it does get fixed, which is a real shame.

If it goes back to Kia i think i will probably not have it replaced with another Kia.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well....Looks like someone has been mobalised to look at it.

I have had a very apologetic phone call, and been asked to take the car into the local Kia dealer so that the fault can be seen and confirmed by a Kia engineer, following this i will then get a further course of action from them......

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Local Dealer has taken a look and confirmed that the Dash needs to come out and that it is the 4th Rio with this problem that they have seen.
Will be a full day job unfortunatley so in a few weeks should be OK, but i will update on here as we progress.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Give em hell Boz, Kia have got to sort this out! I wonder how many more people out there have got this problem and are just putting up with it?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
M4trundler said:
Give em hell Boz, Kia have got to sort this out! I wonder how many more people out there have got this problem and are just putting up with it?

It is very below par for the dealership, who must know about the issue, to have released the car.

Zenith have only just recently taken on Kia so they do appear to be working hard to get it sorted for me which is good, but to be frank, if it was my own personal car and not a company lease, i would be contemplating just handing it back.

Kia have the opportunity with this car to really start stealing sales from the mainstream, but not if they carry ondoing things like this.....anyone remember the Lancia Beta.......

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Got to be some fitter in the factory thats on a substance, possibly weed and cant fit the screws/ bolts in the holes or tighten them.
Dam annoying on a new car and we were told the build quality was better on the new Rio.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Apart from the rattle, the buildqualityappears very high, materials, switches all very classy.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
doc said:
have you had the dash sorted out yet please ?

Not yet, its in on the 26th for a full day which is the first day the dealer can give me a hire car.

It has settled down a bit though, speed bumps and unavoidable pot holes no-longer result in a big shake, it does still rattle away though ononeparticular back road.....that I have to drive on to work...every day....

·
Registered
536 Posts
Got one of these for 24hrs while my pro-ceed's in for a satnav fix. 2250miles on the clock and the thing sounds like a artificial hip..creaking and squeaking ever so often. To be honest it's a loan car so I wasn't surprised, probably had a hard life already. Bloody think had me sat at a roundabout TWISE because it wouldn't go into 1st or 2nd. Had to select 3rd then select 1st for it to engage. Really surprised how "spritely" it is though, although 1st gear is next to useless. By the time you've let out the clutch your grabbing for 2nd already. ISG worked a couple of times and didn't on others but i dont know exactly what conditions its suppost to work under so probably my fault. The one thing the rio does have going for it though....LOOKS!!! Not to keen on the front grill so much but I can't stop looking outside at the thing! Is a good looking car alright! Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a New Rio 1.4 petrol '3' with all the goodies BUT oh those annoying dashboard squeaks and clunks, every time you drive over the slightest bump or pothole in the road. It sounds as if the dash hasn't been clipped into place properly. Otherwise an excellent vehicle.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Mine's going in in a few months to have the 'crashpad padded' so the dealer said but from what i've read elsewhere it may be a new dash,hope not as don't want the car off the road too long,it's actually not as bad now the warm weather is here more a light squeek now than a rattle due to plastics softening,but it's obviously a quality control issue and Kia Korea needs to know,despite this little annoyance the car is brilliant and would say to anyone don't be put off buying one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had this problem with Dash Rattle on my new Rio 2 1.4 purchased just last week. It turned out to be an extra long Speedo cable which had not been secured. Took the mechanic 20 minutes to pop the speedo and fix it. Unfortunately I am plagued with electrical problems, the worst so far is headlight Main Beam sometimes works but mostly doesn't.

·
Registered
170 Posts
how many people have had problems with there new rio?

how are they finding there dealers?

what is your over all opeinion of the uk kia dealers?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right Mine is in with Kia Leeds (ringways) to have the dash rattle sorted, the squeaky clutch sorted and the Hill start (or lack there of) resolved.
All very smooth to hand over this morning, and the Dealer have done nothing to annoy me as of yet.

They said it will take a day...lets see.

On a seperate note, the Picanto i have as a courtesy car ('61 Plate 5dr "2" i think) appears to be quite nice, well kitted and quite well screwed together, but my god is it slow. The Aygo a few years agowould Monster it in a Straight line.

·
Registered
437 Posts
dustyd said:
I had this problem with Dash Rattle on my new Rio 2 1.4 purchased just last week. It turned out to be an extra long Speedo cable which had not been secured. Took the mechanic 20 minutes to pop the speedo and fix it. Unfortunately I am plagued with electrical problems, the worst so far is headlight Main Beam sometimes works but mostly doesn't.
Well that's a load of bull from the dealer as they don't have speedo cables as its electronic.
I'm positive your rattle will return unfortunately. Best way to tell if its fixed is to sit in car and grab the vents for the windscreen and oull and push and listen for a noise.

·
Registered
234 Posts
That's the centre 'Face level vents' at least on mine also grab the instrument binnacle with 2 hands and move up & down,they should remove dash and add padding about a days work,mines to be done soon.

Edited by: Armac08

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mr Kia said:
dustyd said:
Well that's a load of bull from the dealer as they don't have speedo cables as its electronic.
I'm positive your rattle will return unfortunately. Best way to tell if its fixed is to sit in car and grab the vents for the windscreen and oull and push and listen for a noise.
I think the guy (who was not a mechanic) meant a cable loom was loose and they secured it. But the rattle did come back as half expected, as soon as the weather got cold last week. So it will have to have the extra insulation fitted at some time soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi guys,
I'm from Sydney Australia and i have the same dash rattle with my Rio. Has been driving me nuts, i bought my car mid November 2011 which is Summer here and its been rattling since. Can't imagine how it will be in the coming Winter. I was so glad to find your forum, and to discover that i'm not the only owner having this issue. I'm gonna contact my dealer and book her in asap. Apart from that i can't fault my little Rio, it's the bees knees!

1 - 20 of 145 Posts