Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have a 65 reg Kia Ceed 3 Sports wagon 1.6 diesel. I have a nextbase dash cam that i want to hard wire into the car, can anybody tell me which fuse i should connect it to please.

·
Registered
605 Posts
When I hard-wired my nextbase on a sorento I pulled the radio and connected the supply to the blue wire which is usually the aux/electric aerial feed.....been like it a year so must be ok.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Use the cigarette lighter/power port fuse - it is clearly marked up on fuse box cover/drawing.
This is what I have done - this will make sure it cuts the power off once the ignition is turned off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
it is called "power outlet" and it is 20Amp. See the attached diagrams.
If your car has power outlet in the boot also, just be careful as I think the boot one is powered on at all times - doesn`t stop when ignition is turned off.
These are marked up "power outlet 1" and "power outlet 2".
The best way is to plug in your hard wire plug loose and test it with ignition on/off before tucking away the cable. Check if the dashcams powers on and off with the ignition.
You can use dome lights fuse as well. I would not recommend using any fuse related to safety (airbag, etc.) and obviously none which are powered on at all times.
I`m assuming that you have proper hardwire kit - the one which "piggybacks" from the existing fuse being put inside the plug, right?
Also, don`t forget to ground the hardwire - there is a small screw close to fuse board.
I hope this helps.

Which Nextbase model have you gone for?

Marcin

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks Guys,

I was just going to ask the same question :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am having my MiVue dash cam installed tomorrow by my local Halfords. I didn't buy the dash cam at Halfords (it was a Christmas present). They examined the dash cam and agreed to hardwire it for an all in price of £30 which I have since found out is their usual charge. They hardwire to the fuse box and assured me they know what fuse port to use.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You could've done it yourself in 5 minutes and saved £30!

Perhaps you could have, but you don't know me and I don't want to do it. If I did, then be assured I wouldn't be paying Halfords! I am happy to pay £30 for a professional job.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Had my dash cam fitted today by Halfords. The fitter said he installed as many as 6 dash cams a day. Took him 40 minutes to do mine while I watched him. He has fitted hundreds in his time and said his record for fitting one was 7 mins 30 secs; and that was a Fiesta.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Had my dash cam fitted today by Halfords. The fitter said he installed as many as 6 dash cams a day. Took him 40 minutes to do mine while I watched him. He has fitted hundreds in his time and said his record for fitting one was 7 mins 30 secs; and that was a Fiesta.
Took me less than 10 mins really it's a simple job, would'nt trust Halfords to fit anything on my car

·
Banned
5,229 Posts

Help others on here - what fuse did Halfords piggyback on?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Help others on here - what fuse did Halfords piggyback on?
Before he started, the Halford's fitter said he would piggy back on one that operated when the engine started/stopped and that he would not use one that was safety related eg air bags. Although I was watching him I did not see what one he used and didn't think to to ask him. Anyway, it works perfectly and had no issues at all, so very pleased.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes I know its an old thread but...

Am I correct in thinking all the fuses in the interior fusebox by the (UK) drivers right knee are always "hot" even with the ignition off ?

Reason for thinking that is the presence of the Fuse Switch and the note in the owners manual about setting it to off to prevent battery drain if storing longer term

·
Super Moderator
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,686 Posts

Am I correct in thinking all the fuses in the interior fusebox by the (UK) drivers right knee are always "hot" even with the ignition off ?

Reason for thinking that is the presence of the Fuse Switch and the note in the owners manual about setting it to off to prevent battery drain if storing longer term
I think this would have been far better as a new thread.
In answer to your question, if by 'hot' you mean always a live feed, the answer is yes. However most the devices are switched on/off by you, either individually or simply by switching the ignition on. But there are exceptions, for example the media system, the alarm system, central locking, smart fobs, etc. Throw the switch off and you won't be able to lock the car using the fob, leave it off long enough and some of the media system resets.

·
Registered
20 Posts
well I was debating but on a search this was the most relevant thread so felt like it all joined up :)

Cheers, that makes life easier for picking up feeds for things like dashcams

·
Super Moderator
4,968 Posts

The answer to that is NO.

I have my dashcam hard wired via this fuse box, as do the above posters. That shuts down.
Kia does not turn the power off to many things straight away. It can be up to 5 mins before some power down.
If you use a multimeter, you will see the ones that power off straight away and the ones that are still live for a period.

I think all the fuse switch does is isolate all the wiring (guess it activates a relay in the main fuse box that cuts the live feed from the battery), so in case something is still on, such as dome light.

Reactions: phil866
1 - 20 of 26 Posts