Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was quite frightening to find myself locked in my 67 plate Venga 4 inside my garage and I feel quite dangerous.
Due to infrequent use during Covid, I have occasionally started and warmed the car. I recently went to do this and ended up locked inside. I had not taken my mobile phone so could not phone for help. As the car is keyless, I would normally open the driver door, press the brake pedal with my left foot and push the start button. On this occasion there was a “key out” warning so I sat in the driver seat and mistakenly closed the door. I then went to get the key fob from my pocket and whilst so doing touched the “lock” button. The doors locked and I pushed the unlock button but nothing happened except I then noticed both turn indicator warning lights were permanently showing green. The mirrors were turned in and I could see both side repeaters were lit but dim. The car would not start so I pulled the door handle but to no avail.
I sat wondering what to do and hoping either my wife would come out to see where I was, or a neighbour would arrive home and I could try to catch their attention. After about half an hour I was getting desperate, so wound down the backrest of the driver seat then crawled up the backrest to reach the rear seat release. A bit more manoeuvering and I crawled headfirst into the boot, groping around in the pitch black to fine the cover to the rear hatch release button which I removed and just hoped the hatch release was not also electrically operated. It was not, so the boot lid was released, but I was then faced with adopting some form of yoga position to turn around in the boot space to be able to exit feet first, at the same time hoping the boot floor did not break knowing the handbook warns not to exceed 50Kg.
I was fortunate and whilst this was down to many unusual circumstances, I do feel it could be EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. There should be some way of releasing the driver door manually in the event of a flat battery,
I have replaced the battery and all is back to normal.

·
Super Moderator
9,436 Posts
Glad you got out.
But it should have the manual unlock button under the door handle?

You really need to take the car for a run, rather than just let it idle. As it also gets the other parts moving.
Added bonus is you are also charging battery on a run, as opposed to just sat at idle.

If you do intend to not use the car for a while, then look at getting a battery conditioner & leave plugged in to keep the battery charged up.

·
Super Moderator
3,417 Posts
Agree with @iooi 's comments. Having the car sat idling is not good for all the oily bits and won't put anywhere near enough charge back into the battery. On top of that you aren't using other system like brakes and gears. If you must run the car, take a run out, 20-30 minutes at normal speeds would be the minimum to get a battery back to a reasonable state.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
It was quite frightening to find myself locked in my 67 plate Venga 4 inside my garage and I feel quite dangerous.
Due to infrequent use during Covid, I have occasionally started and warmed the car. I recently went to do this and ended up locked inside.
If I am reading this correctly and you are running the engine with the car inside the garage it is very dangerous. People have died doing this.

If you feel you must run the engine take the car for a drive every couple of weeks, other than that buy a battery conditioner and use it every few weeks instead.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad you got out.
But it should have the manual unlock button under the door handle?

You really need to take the car for a run, rather than just let it idle. As it also gets the other parts moving.
Added bonus is you are also charging battery on a run, as opposed to just sat at idle.

If you do intend to not use the car for a while, then look at getting a battery conditioner & leave plugged in to keep the battery charged up.
Have a conditioner and do take car for runs. What was surprising that it went completely flat in 3 days with no prior warning and there was insufficient power to even unlock the doors. I tried my jump start pack, (after I had escaped) but the car battery was so flat that even this fully charged pack could not cope. I used my battery conditioner/trickle charger for about 7 hours and it was back up to 12.4v. and showing 80%+ Since new battery fitted only loses about 0.03v overnight. A short run (exactly as I was doing before) and it is up to 12.58v again. I have looked but there is no evidence of a manual unlock button on the drivers door. I do note in one manual it says ".......climb into the cargo area and release the catch" so does seem this is the only way. I now always take my mobile when I go to the garage!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I am reading this correctly and you are running the engine with the car inside the garage it is very dangerous. People have died doing this.

If you feel you must run the engine take the car for a drive every couple of weeks, other than that buy a battery conditioner and use it every few weeks instead.
Much appreciate your comments - as already posted I do take the car for occasional runs and do have a conditioner. Just surprised by the rate it went down leaving not enough to even unlock the doors. When I stated in the garage - it was nose first and the garage door is always open with the tail only inches from the open air. When warmed up for perhaps a minute to allow the oil to circulate I do then reverse out onto the drive.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
A short run (exactly as I was doing before) and it is up to 12.58v again.
No good. A battery needs to have 12.7+ volts after resting for 12 hours to be of any use. To show 12.58 volts immediately after turning off the engine indicates to me the battery is buggered. On the wifes car after a short run the battery will be showing about 13.5 volts shortly after turning off the engine which falls to about 12.8 volts by the next morning.

12 volts is what they have always been called despite having a higher voltage. I had owned cars for 35 years before discovering this simple fact. Car would not start but battery showed 12.1 volts thus looked OK to me. After having the battery tested and being told differently I looked on the interweb and learned the facts.

·
Registered
MY21 Stonic GT-Line S ISG MHEV iMT - sw220211 - map14.47.48.631.401.5
582 Posts
moreover, AGM batteries really much prefer being as near 100% as possible.
I bought a trickle charger, 1A, so that during the periods of less frequent use I can keep the battery as topped up as possible. Mind however the voltage of a fully charged battery will be lower in the winter than in the summer.

many cars are delivered with batteries already below 70 % which means many owners already risk damaging those poor AGM batteries unless they immediately charge them up.
Even brand new batteries are rarely charged enough out of the box to be fitted straight away.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Page 4 - 14 in the owner handbook for a Gen 2 says

WARNING - Door lock malfunction
If a power door lock ever fails to
function whilst you are in the vehicle,
try one or more of the following
techniques to exit:
• Operate the other door locks and
handles, front and rear.
• Lower a driver’s window and use
the key to unlock the door from
outside.
• Move to the cargo area and open
the tailgate.

But I'm wondering if you could have used the boot unlock button on the key fob rather than releasing using the manual button. Would have made boot exit a little less troublesome?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts