Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought the car in between lockdowns and quickly found the DAB radio dropped out on most stations... including BBC stations. We took it back yesterday for first year service and they updated all the software (different coloured interface), but after 10 minutes it had started dropping out again. Getting an appointment is like getting an appointment at a GP these days.

Has anyone had this issue? Seems like it must be fin tail aerial that is at fault....

Is there somewhere to go directly to Kia if having no luck with the dealer as this must be under the 7yr warranty

·
Registered
136 Posts
When you say "Dropping out" what do you mean? as all DAB stations will go quiet if the signal isn't strong enough, so maybe nothing to do with the equipment on the car, but the way DAB is broadcast.
I did read another threat about settings that allowed the receivers to switch between DAB and FM signals when this happens on other Kia models, but you would need to check you user guide/settings to see if you car has this function.

·
Registered
MY21 Stonic GT-Line S ISG MHEV iMT - sw220211 - map14.47.48.631.401.5
583 Posts
Mine occasionally goes quiet in the same area, I put it down to the signal being weak. Mine does switch to FM relatively quickly in those circumstances.
Do you have another DAB equipped car or device?
In the engineering menu of the car's head unit there's a section where you can look at the signal strength for the DAB radio.
There might be some interference or it might be the aerial needs replacing or it might be a number of things, but in my experience, without being 'in situ' with testing equipment, it can be a wild goose chase.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you say "Dropping out" what do you mean? as all DAB stations will go quiet if the signal isn't strong enough, so maybe nothing to do with the equipment on the car, but the way DAB is broadcast.
I did read another threat about settings that allowed the receivers to switch between DAB and FM signals when this happens on other Kia models, but you would need to check you user guide/settings to see if you car has this function.
Hi yes going silent. but every 45 secs to a minute making them unlistenable. I had a BMWi3 prior to this and had none of these drop outs (except in one specific place),

Radio 1 does switch to FM but most of the things I listen to eg Radio 5 Live, don't have an FM, and some are only available on DAB.

Seems like it must be a receiver fault.

·
Super Moderator
3,427 Posts
We get DAB dropouts in a number of locations near us, we know where they are and have got used to it. We had a couple of Vauxhall's with DAB and they dropped out in the same places. It has been exasperated this last few weeks, our area was fed by the Bilsdale mast.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We get DAB dropouts in a number of locations near us, we know where they are and have got used to it. We had a couple of Vauxhall's with DAB and they dropped out in the same places. It has been exasperated this last few weeks, our are was fed by the Bilsdale mast.
Yes, I know what you mean, our previous car had a couple of spots which were always the same. But this is everywhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine occasionally goes quiet in the same area, I put it down to the signal being weak. Mine does switch to FM relatively quickly in those circumstances.
Do you have another DAB equipped car or device?
In the engineering menu of the car's head unit there's a section where you can look at the signal strength for the DAB radio.
There might be some interference or it might be the aerial needs replacing or it might be a number of things, but in my experience, without being 'in situ' with testing equipment, it can be a wild goose chase.
Yes, it is made worse by covid as people from the garage very reluctant to sit in the car with you so you can demonstrate the problem. I'll see if there is anything that shows signal strength. Thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
I did some googling, and there was a really great thread from another [Electric vehicle] forum, and many people were complaining about how bad the Kia dropout was compared to other cars, including BMW, VW and Telsa, and the conclusion was that Kia's products just aren't a good as keeping the signal as other brands...
(not sure if it breaches site rules to post a link?)

·
Registered
337 Posts
We have a blank spot on our High Street about 200 yds from where we live. The radio goes dead for about 20 yds before it comes on again. It must be a signal shadow or something. We have a portable DAB radio in the flat. Works fine on our floor (3rd). Take it down to the second and we lose most stations, take it to the first floor or ground and no stations at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did some googling, and there was a really great thread from another [Electric vehicle] forum, and many people were complaining about how bad the Kia dropout was compared to other cars, including BMW, VW and Telsa, and the conclusion was that Kia's products just aren't a good as keeping the signal as other brands...
(not sure if it breaches site rules to post a link?)
Thanks, that would be good to see. I'll have a little google too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue... asked the dealer to look at it but nothing they could do... poor signal combined with poor sharkfin arial IMO. Wife has a Ford and DAB works perfectly. So no excuses for Kia..
Love the car but disapointed with this particular aspect
Would be interested if anyone knows of a device that can boost arial in some way.

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,497 Posts
Something other than a sharks fin antenna would be better - an additional amplifier could well introduce more issues as I suspect there may already be an amplifier in the existing antenna.

DAB FM/AM GPS Car Antenna Multifunction Aerial DAB Digital Radio Tuner+Amplifier | eBay

I'm not recommending this, I have not tried one, but antenna design is that the closer the length of the aerial rod is to the 1/4 wavelength of the signal the better performance will be.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts