Kia Owners Club Forum banner
121 - 140 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
MY22 Sportage GT Line S HEV FWD
97 Posts
@Indalo your comments are fine if your preferred radio stations are on FM, but a lot of people like stations like Planet Rock, Jazz FM, Absolute Radio, Scala Radio etc. Also programmes like Test Match Special are broadcast uninterrupted. Yes FM can be more reliable, but there is a lot more choice on DAB.
Exactly….I like quite a few DAB only stations!

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,581 Posts
I don't understand the concerns over DAB broadcasting as I am unable to discern any noticeable difference in aural quality between the major programme providers using FM or DAB.

It seems to me that FM is more reliable as there are places where some of my DAB channels lose the signal for what may be any of a number of reasons but work fine on FM. I can see that the channel screen may have a little more information on DAB than FM but if I'm driving a vehicle, I shouldn't really be looking at the infotainment screen.
To be honest the big benefits of DAB are in the main for the broadcasters.

The DAB multiplexers can carry many stations and require significantly less power to operate than FM transmitters. The implementation of DAB in the UK is pretty poor in terms of audio quality, some stations don't even run stereo to limit the bandwidth they get charged for.

While DAB can convey audio quality approaching CD quality it's rarely, if ever, done because it uses multiplexer bandwidth that can be sold to the 'popular' music stations.

The apparent benefit of DAB is that it is 'noise free' - it achieves that by using error correction (further reducing quality when triggered) but should the signal drop below a particular threshold - as when a car is moving through weak signal areas - it just cuts the audio whereas FM in those conditions tends to raise the noise level or cause a few crackles. There are a few systemic benefits like auto moving between differing multiplexers for the same station allowing continued listening across the county, and enhanced programme information. but the main benefit for the consumer is multiple choice of stations that are not available on FM.

Incidentally the DAB specifications include a comprehensive Traffic Alert capability - which the UK broadcasters have chosen not to implement - one reason being that, when they developed the networks, there were not enough DAB equipped cars for it to be considered worthwhile 🤣

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
the main benefit for the consumer is multiple choice of stations that are not available on FM.

DAB specifications include a comprehensive Traffic Alert capability - which the UK broadcasters have chosen not to implement
Thanks for that, 'Radiorail'; until it was pointed out in this thread, I never realised that there are radio stations that only exist on DAB.

I'm bound to say that I find it incredible that traffic alerts remain unobtainable on DAB although, if I'm correct, it seems to me that, so long as there are BBC FM stations in the 'Favourites' list in my infotainment unit, I receive traffic updates regardless of whether or not I'm tuned into one of them or listening to my music on my connected phone from Spotify, Amazon or Apple........I think! I'll have to pay closer attention to see if that really is the case.

Reactions: mr.macspot

·
Registered
414 Posts
Thanks for that, 'Radiorail'; until it was pointed out in this thread, I never realised that there are radio stations that only exist on DAB.

I'm bound to say that I find it incredible that traffic alerts remain unobtainable on DAB although, if I'm correct, it seems to me that, so long as there are BBC FM stations in the 'Favourites' list in my infotainment unit, I receive traffic updates regardless of whether or not I'm tuned into one of them or listening to my music on my connected phone from Spotify, Amazon or Apple........I think! I'll have to pay closer attention to see if that really is the case.
Use DAB all the time and regarding your comments about traffic announcements I do get these when listening to DAB as I have a number of BBC FM stations (mainly local radio) in my favourites. So it looks like it picks up the FM signal for these announcements irrespective of whether you are tuned into DAB or FM providing you have some FM stations stored in favourites.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
So it looks like it picks up the FM signal for these announcements irrespective of whether you are tuned into DAB or FM providing you have some FM stations stored in favourites.
I'm grateful for that, 'dmrodgers', as I began to wonder if I just imagined that to be the case. I was sure that I got announcements while using 'Media' but couldn't remember for sure whether or not they occurred while listening to DAB channels.

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,581 Posts
Receiving TAs if you are tuned to DAB is equipment specific.

The radio needs to have dual tuners (or be a smart Software Defined Radio). My Stonic 1st Edition does not have this so I have to be tuned to an FM station that handles TA's to receive them. Primarily this is BBC stations as the BBC centralise their control of TA flags across all their main stations. From other posts in this Forum many Kia owners are in the same position.

You will receive TAs if you leave the radio on FM (say BBC station) but listen to media.

If you receive TAs when tuned to DAB your radio is a cut above many others. It seems that newer Kias may have dual or SDR receivers.😂

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
If you receive TAs when tuned to DAB your radio is a cut above many others 😂
Even today, after almost six years of ownership, I continue to be staggered by the both the extent and the technical level of equipment built into my Optima as standard.

Reactions: jcapari

·
Registered
97 Posts
It would seem I could be making progress. Here’s the latest from dealer:

“Following your last email we escalated the case with Kia Technical they in turn have spoken to LG. The outcome of this is that we have been given a one off code to access the history of the dab signal strength. LG would like us to access the unit to record the occasions when the unit has lost signal. We will need the car for around 1 hr to do this”
This was done today by my dealer. Took about 30mins and they’ve sent all the info off to Kia Technical. So I hope to hear back soon. 🤞🏻

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,581 Posts
Same DAB issue on the PHEV GT Line S. Keeps loosing the signal on most channels except Radio 1.
That is really odd as most BBC stations will be on the same multiplexer so signal loss will generally impact on all stations on that multiplexer.

·
Registered
2022 KIA SPORTAGE GTLine S 1.6T HEV AWD Experience Green/Black
486 Posts
Have already suffered problems with DAB reception so have added (
DAB radio constantly loosing signal where my previous 2019 Sportage worked without fault. Seeing several owners experiencing the same problem on the KIA FORUM
Are you aware of this ?? and is there a remedy??)

to Kia services via your link.
Thanks (y)

Otherwise a very good vehicle that I am more than pleased with.(y)

·
Registered
2022 KIA SPORTAGE GTLine S 1.6T HEV AWD Experience Green/Black
486 Posts
Within minutes of posting to Kia Services have had a return telephone call back from them with the advise to take it to my dealer and explain the problem to them? and did I know that DAB has signal problems all across the country??? patronising or what.
He couldn't explain why all of my previous Sportage's never had a problem with DAB no matter where I went. Onwards and upwards.

Reactions: Dan_ and JamJar

·
Registered
97 Posts
Within minutes of posting to Kia Services have had a return telephone call back from them with the advise to take it to my dealer and explain the problem to them? and did I know that DAB has signal problems all across the country??? patronising or what.
He couldn't explain why all of my previous Sportage's never had a problem with DAB no matter where I went. Onwards and upwards.
To be fair the front of the customer services aren’t technical, but they should realise that informed customers know what they are talking about and not just fob them off with silly statements about it being the broadcast signal problem.

Be sure to let the dealer know that Kia Technical can give a code out so they can pull the DAB signal reception details from the system.

·
Registered
On Order: Sportage GT Line S PHEV in Infra Red
308 Posts
To be fair the front of the customer services aren’t technical, but they should realise that informed customers know what they are talking about and not just fob them off with silly statements about it being the broadcast signal problem.
The problem they have is its hard to spot an informed customer vs an uniformed one, therefore you go with the lowest common denominator. In this case, are you aware of how poor signals can affect reception.

As a knowledgable person you just have to deal with that and get through them to get to someone who can help you. Though in the case of a car, thats always going to be the dealers. The reality of a car "manufacturer" in the UK is that they are really just an importer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The problem they have is its hard to spot an informed customer vs an uniformed one, therefore you go with the lowest common denominator. In this case, are you aware of how poor signals can affect reception.
I get that. But in this case they were responding to an email from a customer, @jcapari , that said their previous Sportage with DAB was fine, now the new one is not on the same routes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does anyone have a resolution to the poor DAB reception issue yet? I’m 2 months into waiting for a replacement roof antenna, still on back order with no timescale, also no guarantee will fix problem anyhow. Kia just don’t seem bothered they’ve supplied a defective vehicle. I’ve just tried a retune of all DAB stations to no avail, are there any other ideas to try?

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,581 Posts
Does anyone have a resolution to the poor DAB reception issue yet? I’m 2 months into waiting for a replacement roof antenna, still on back order with no timescale, also no guarantee will fix problem anyhow. Kia just don’t seem bothered they’ve supplied a defective vehicle. I’ve just tried a retune of all DAB stations to no avail, are there any other ideas to try?
What area are you having problems in?

121 - 140 of 175 Posts