Kia Owners Club Forum banner
81 - 100 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
MY22 Sportage GT Line S HEV FWD
64 Posts
I get your point but I love my music and went for the upgraded sound system deliberately. If I’m paying £40k for something I expect it to work properly. Each to their own.
I totally agree, I listen to DAB only stations and not having these is mighty frustrating. I get that it’s not a safety issue or that it massively impinges on the driving experience, but to me it’s an important feature of a car. I registered my problem with the dealer within the 30 days and now I have Kia UK on the case. So if this issue persists or takes ages to sort I’ll be able to seek other remedies in due course.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I get your point but I love my music and went for the upgraded sound system deliberately. If I’m paying £40k for something I expect it to work properly. Each to their own.
Totally agree Dan. I'm a big radio fan and want every single feature of my vehicle to work as described considering the price tag. I hope Kia take this seriously and sort out a proper fix soon. An official TSB needs sending to all dealerships.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ok. It’s been in again (3rd time) and finally a report has been sent to Kia Technical. I’m guessing the more people to complain and push for a fix the more reports will get sent.
Well done for getting this far. Having hoped that Kia UK would improve on the poor response from my dealer I’m not so sure now. Kia UK promised a follow up by Tue. By Wed I’d heard nothing and so chased….still waiting for them to call me back! Sending a strongly worded email now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think your going down the a similar route as me. If it helps evidence your not the only one with this problem or it’ll help them find my Kia Technical report to review, send me a DM and I’ll ping you my reg.

·
Registered
54 Posts
For those who are reporting similar issues to Kia.
Try plugging in your phone and testing that too. I’ve noticed that my phone drops to 3G frequently but when I unplug it, it pops back to 4G, so it’s gotta be the aerial or a software thing. Only noticed it when I gave up with the radio and started to stream music using CarPlay (which is similarly problematic).
I’ll be mentioning this to Kia when they get back to me, it just adds more evidence that theres an issue with the system rather than atmospherics as they’d have you believe.

·
Registered
64 Posts
For those who are reporting similar issues to Kia.
Try plugging in your phone and testing that too. I’ve noticed that my phone drops to 3G frequently but when I unplug it, it pops back to 4G, so it’s gotta be the aerial or a software thing. Only noticed it when I gave up with the radio and started to stream music using CarPlay (which is similarly problematic).
I’ll be mentioning this to Kia when they get back to me, it just adds more evidence that theres an issue with the system rather than atmospherics as they’d have you believe.
Agree. I mentioned before that when using CarPlay the Nav I use (Waze or Google Maps) often have issues. Like yesterday when I was down south yet Waze was adamant I was on the M6 up North. Nothing I did convinced the system otherwise.

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,470 Posts
Agree. I mentioned before that when using CarPlay the Nav I use (Waze or Google Maps) often have issues. Like yesterday when I was down south yet Waze was adamant I was on the M6 up North. Nothing I did convinced the system otherwise.
When you connect your phone using CarPlay or AA for navigation (Waze/Goole etc.) the phone takes the GPS from the cars GPS subsystem, ignoring the GPS signals the phone receives. What you have experienced should point Kia to understanding it's the cars GPS antenna , or subsystem, that is clearly at fault and needs investigation.

BTW I'm pretty sure this does not explain Dan_ 's issue with 3G/$G switching - the phone always retains it's native antenna connection for Network traffic.

What I do wonder if there is part of the car subsystem that is generating significant amounts of RF (radio) noise which is partially jamming GPS signals and impacting on the phones Network connection - this could also explain the observations of others that navigation position goes haywire at night when the lights are on.

Have you been through the setting page to see how many satellites are being received in the various circumstances? If they change or are generally low numbers then there is definitely something wrong in the car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
What I do wonder if there is part of the car subsystem that is generating significant amounts of RF (radio) noise which is partially jamming GPS signals and impacting on the phones Network connection - this could also explain the observations of others that navigation position goes haywire at night when the lights are on.
Ive mentioned this a few times to to Kia and just got blank faces. Hopefully Kia Technical are a bit more switched on.
Ill look into the satellite thing though, thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
2021 Stonic GT Line S mild hybrid.
105 Posts
I've been following this with interest. I'm on my second Stonic and apart from a know blackspot on the M3 near the Wisley junction I have never experienced any DAB problems. The fact that so many Kia owners are experiencing this must mean a faulty batch of some components fitted during assembly. Just don't give up. I had an issue with headlamps that despite several attempts the dealer couldn't explain. In the end it was resolved by Kia customer service and for my trouble they fitted a double dashcam FOC.

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,470 Posts
I too have a Stonic and know exactly where the DAB will cut out and I understand why (the nature of radio signals and screening in the direction of the transmitter in those areas) Most are in the town and at traffic lights, I know that if I stop, and the DAB signal drops, if I move around 8/9 inches it will pick up again - showing the me the issue is low signal and short term fading.

However It does seem that a number of specific Kia models are suffering more generally so it really should be for Kia to investigate. Either the Nav units are not meeting spec, the antennas are deficient, or some source of digital hash noise in the car is interfering with the receiver. If I worked for Kia my first port of call would be antenna performance - substitute a known good antenna on the car and monitor the differences. If that did not show an issue then I'm afraid it's down to spectrum analysers and digital error measurement kit (which is all very expensive!)

DAB is not the perfect system the broadcasters would let you believe, side by side comparison between DAB receivers will show you that but there are sensitivity and error correction specifications which DAB receivers should meet as minimum criteria - so it falls on Kia to show that the units meet these.

Reactions: iooi and JamJar

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,470 Posts
To give you some idea of what may be occurring.

I have a DAB clock radio it uses the typical 2 feet of wire as an antenna.

Where I live DAB signals are low but adequate for noise free listening. If I turn on my LED bedside light, which is powered by a switch mode power supply ,DAB reception either degenerates to high burbling or just cuts off. The same does not happen when using my switched mode mobile phone charger, so it's better constructed electrically, at the same location but does if I use my laptop charger. Move the items 2 metres away and the problems do not occur.

This indicates that the switch mode power supplies are capable of generating enough local digital hash to interfere with DAB reception.

This is easily demonstrated with a small portable AM radio, not tuned to a station, which can be used to sniff out the hash (presented usually as a rasping hum). Maybe people with DAB issues could take a small portable AM radio into the car and move it around the Nav /dash area to see if there are similar digital hash signals being generated by the car electronics.

Reactions: JamJar and Dan_

·
Registered
54 Posts
So that’s my Sunday morning sorted!
Gonna be sweeping for bugs like a spy while my wife and neighbours watch on thinking I’ve finally lost it 🙃
Thanks for advice, just gotta find the old AM radio in the loft.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage Hybrid G Line S 2022
8 Posts
Hi All
I have the same problem with my DAB Radio and the car went into KIA and they said they could do nothing, :( I then downloaded an up date from Kia Navigation updates, you need a 64gb pendrive an installed it about 1 hour installation time, unfortunately it has not resolved the problem apart from that am loving the car.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi All
I have the same problem with my DAB Radio and the car went into KIA and they said they could do nothing, :( I then downloaded an up date from Kia Navigation updates, you need a 64gb pendrive an installed it about 1 hour installation time, unfortunately it has not resolved the problem apart from that am loving the car.
Complain to Kia UK. The dealer can’t get away with saying they can do nothing…that’s lame and unacceptable!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Kia Technical asked if they could borrow my Car to do some diagnostics. Unfortunately I was away with work, did offer when home but the dealer said they had managed to access another vehicle with a similar fault. Antennas still on back order as of Friday. My Live routes are also taking longer to calculate than previous models as the Live signal strength seems poorer than previous models.

81 - 100 of 133 Posts