Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,609 Posts
Pretty sure that Android Auto (cable connection) uses the Car GPS infrastructure so issues with the car will transfer to Waze / Google maps etc.

Reactions: JamJar and Fixerman

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,609 Posts
Agree. I mentioned before that when using CarPlay the Nav I use (Waze or Google Maps) often have issues. Like yesterday when I was down south yet Waze was adamant I was on the M6 up North. Nothing I did convinced the system otherwise.
When you connect your phone using CarPlay or AA for navigation (Waze/Goole etc.) the phone takes the GPS from the cars GPS subsystem, ignoring the GPS signals the phone receives. What you have experienced should point Kia to understanding it's the cars GPS antenna , or subsystem, that is clearly at fault and needs investigation.

BTW I'm pretty sure this does not explain Dan_ 's issue with 3G/$G switching - the phone always retains it's native antenna connection for Network traffic.

What I do wonder if there is part of the car subsystem that is generating significant amounts of RF (radio) noise which is partially jamming GPS signals and impacting on the phones Network connection - this could also explain the observations of others that navigation position goes haywire at night when the lights are on.

Have you been through the setting page to see how many satellites are being received in the various circumstances? If they change or are generally low numbers then there is definitely something wrong in the car.

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,609 Posts
I too have a Stonic and know exactly where the DAB will cut out and I understand why (the nature of radio signals and screening in the direction of the transmitter in those areas) Most are in the town and at traffic lights, I know that if I stop, and the DAB signal drops, if I move around 8/9 inches it will pick up again - showing the me the issue is low signal and short term fading.

However It does seem that a number of specific Kia models are suffering more generally so it really should be for Kia to investigate. Either the Nav units are not meeting spec, the antennas are deficient, or some source of digital hash noise in the car is interfering with the receiver. If I worked for Kia my first port of call would be antenna performance - substitute a known good antenna on the car and monitor the differences. If that did not show an issue then I'm afraid it's down to spectrum analysers and digital error measurement kit (which is all very expensive!)

DAB is not the perfect system the broadcasters would let you believe, side by side comparison between DAB receivers will show you that but there are sensitivity and error correction specifications which DAB receivers should meet as minimum criteria - so it falls on Kia to show that the units meet these.

Reactions: iooi and JamJar

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,609 Posts
To give you some idea of what may be occurring.

I have a DAB clock radio it uses the typical 2 feet of wire as an antenna.

Where I live DAB signals are low but adequate for noise free listening. If I turn on my LED bedside light, which is powered by a switch mode power supply ,DAB reception either degenerates to high burbling or just cuts off. The same does not happen when using my switched mode mobile phone charger, so it's better constructed electrically, at the same location but does if I use my laptop charger. Move the items 2 metres away and the problems do not occur.

This indicates that the switch mode power supplies are capable of generating enough local digital hash to interfere with DAB reception.

This is easily demonstrated with a small portable AM radio, not tuned to a station, which can be used to sniff out the hash (presented usually as a rasping hum). Maybe people with DAB issues could take a small portable AM radio into the car and move it around the Nav /dash area to see if there are similar digital hash signals being generated by the car electronics.

Reactions: JamJar and Dan_

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,609 Posts
Sounds like LG may have some appropriate monitoring code which should be able to sort out if it's a signal/antenna issue or electronic.

I have a Stonic 1st Edition and DAB performance is as I'd expect, some signal loss where I know the path to the transmitter is screened (I'm a RF geek) The antenna is however a rod as opposed to a sharks fin. I would not trust sharks fins as they are not optimum for (or anywhere near) the DAB radio frequencies. They are compromises.

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,609 Posts
I don't understand the concerns over DAB broadcasting as I am unable to discern any noticeable difference in aural quality between the major programme providers using FM or DAB.

It seems to me that FM is more reliable as there are places where some of my DAB channels lose the signal for what may be any of a number of reasons but work fine on FM. I can see that the channel screen may have a little more information on DAB than FM but if I'm driving a vehicle, I shouldn't really be looking at the infotainment screen.
To be honest the big benefits of DAB are in the main for the broadcasters.

The DAB multiplexers can carry many stations and require significantly less power to operate than FM transmitters. The implementation of DAB in the UK is pretty poor in terms of audio quality, some stations don't even run stereo to limit the bandwidth they get charged for.

While DAB can convey audio quality approaching CD quality it's rarely, if ever, done because it uses multiplexer bandwidth that can be sold to the 'popular' music stations.

The apparent benefit of DAB is that it is 'noise free' - it achieves that by using error correction (further reducing quality when triggered) but should the signal drop below a particular threshold - as when a car is moving through weak signal areas - it just cuts the audio whereas FM in those conditions tends to raise the noise level or cause a few crackles. There are a few systemic benefits like auto moving between differing multiplexers for the same station allowing continued listening across the county, and enhanced programme information. but the main benefit for the consumer is multiple choice of stations that are not available on FM.

Incidentally the DAB specifications include a comprehensive Traffic Alert capability - which the UK broadcasters have chosen not to implement - one reason being that, when they developed the networks, there were not enough DAB equipped cars for it to be considered worthwhile 🤣

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,609 Posts
Receiving TAs if you are tuned to DAB is equipment specific.

The radio needs to have dual tuners (or be a smart Software Defined Radio). My Stonic 1st Edition does not have this so I have to be tuned to an FM station that handles TA's to receive them. Primarily this is BBC stations as the BBC centralise their control of TA flags across all their main stations. From other posts in this Forum many Kia owners are in the same position.

You will receive TAs if you leave the radio on FM (say BBC station) but listen to media.

If you receive TAs when tuned to DAB your radio is a cut above many others. It seems that newer Kias may have dual or SDR receivers.😂

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,609 Posts
Same DAB issue on the PHEV GT Line S. Keeps loosing the signal on most channels except Radio 1.
That is really odd as most BBC stations will be on the same multiplexer so signal loss will generally impact on all stations on that multiplexer.

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,609 Posts
Does anyone have a resolution to the poor DAB reception issue yet? I’m 2 months into waiting for a replacement roof antenna, still on back order with no timescale, also no guarantee will fix problem anyhow. Kia just don’t seem bothered they’ve supplied a defective vehicle. I’ve just tried a retune of all DAB stations to no avail, are there any other ideas to try?
What area are you having problems in?

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,609 Posts
👌👍OK from that I would agree itis a receiver problem. If a new antenna and cable does not fix it or SW updates then it really does point to the radio unit or some interference being generated by something in the car blocking the DAB signal. (e.g. I have a small LED bedside light that blocks my DAB clock radio when it's lit and the power cable goes near the short wire antenna on the radio)

I only asked about area because there were/are some reception problems in the North East.

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,609 Posts
I suspect that someone in Kia knows what the problem is, and it's probably related to the car's other systems as the entertainment units are the same in other cars not reporting issues. As an example there are a few reports of people who have fitted rear dashcams loosing DAB reception, and not only Kias.

That someone is either not letting on or policy is to brazen it out because of the cost of fixing it.

Unfortunately it would cost to get an expert investigation or opinion as to the suitability of the installation and that prevents owners 'taking Kia on'.

To call it characteristic is darn right insulting - like the software bugs in systems which Project Managers try to pass off as 'features' 🤣 I'd love (as a technical geek) to get hold of the reports that were given to Kia's technician which led to the conclusion that its characteristic.

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,609 Posts
As a prospective owner of a Kia for first time this is causing me to wobble about following through on purchase. Have also seen the stories about the regen of the petrol particulate filter though this may not affect HEV but no confirmation here. Astounded a new car can be handed off with no dealer fix on the DAB at least.
I can only report that the DAB on my 1st Edition Stonic works well, it does cut out, where signals are screened or weak, and more or less in the same locations as my sisters Honda unit.

DAB is working at frequencies higher than FM and can be impacted by different interference/transmission properties than FM. So DAB will mute rather than send a load of mush to the speakers.

The problems reported in these forums seem related to a few models not Kia's general entertainment units. (which is L.G, & probably the same as some other car manufacturers use)

You are right however to comment about dealers - my interactions with them indicate they know little about the entertainment systems or generally how to fault find on them. To be honest some issues are complex and probably it's unreasonable to expect a fully qualified RF engineer with £25ks of test equipment to be sat around in a dealership - ideally kia need a mobile team to more fully support the dealers and give owners confidence.

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,609 Posts
I think to anyone with a modicum of savvy that the signal, although DAB can be sometimes problematical, is not causing the problem, or other models and manufacturers would also be inundated with such complaints.
Quite correct - the digital error correction on DAB works well for most circumstances but if there is any high level of digital hash/noise being introduced by other systems then DAB will fail 'to safe' i.e. mute the audio.

The rear dashcam example highlights this in cars, but it need not be dashcams. I have a small LED bedside light which is powered by a CE (Chinese Export) marked plug pack. When that is on the DAB on my clock radio plays up. So I'm still wondering that, given the quantity of electronics in modern cars , there is some module that is producing digital hash which is interfering with the received DAB signal.

Reactions: Dan_ and Aerofly

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,609 Posts
It could also point to external digital noise/hash interference - Given the incidents are (apparently) limited to a small number of cars it's doubtful that it's a SW issue else many others would be complaining.

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,609 Posts
Radio 2 may be flipping between DAB and FM to give the impression of seamless coverage….although that tends to be noticeable too?
I find that when this happens it is noticeable as you hear hear either a gap or repeat caused by the DAB digital processing delay.

Reactions: JamJar

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,609 Posts
Not sure if this is relevant to other peoples DAB reception issues but I have just changed mobile phones for one with induction charging.

My Stonic 1st Edition does not have a charging pad so I bought an aftermarket one. With the pad and mobile located in the cubby hole below the Nav unit I noticed significantly more DAB cut outs as I travelled across town, in some instances unplugging the charge pad restored reception (there is a 3/4 second gap).

I then went and tested with my DAB clock radio and sure enough if the mobile & charge pad is operated near the radio it almost completely blocks reception.

This supports my previous comment that it is possible for digital hash, from other car electronics, to 'stuff DAB up' (engineers term).

If people with DAB reception problems also have charging pads in their cars it may be worthwhile seeing if it's possible to temporarily disconnect the pads power supply to test (remove the fuse?)

Reactions: JamJar

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,609 Posts
Interesting! I know you can switch the wireless pad off using the in-car settings or via the Kia Connect app. I’ll be trying this, thanks
As I said my pad is after market so maybe not as 'clean' as those in cars but will be interesting to know if it makes any difference.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts