Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I don't understand the concerns over DAB broadcasting as I am unable to discern any noticeable difference in aural quality between the major programme providers using FM or DAB.

It seems to me that FM is more reliable as there are places where some of my DAB channels lose the signal for what may be any of a number of reasons but work fine on FM. I can see that the channel screen may have a little more information on DAB than FM but if I'm driving a vehicle, I shouldn't really be looking at the infotainment screen.

Reactions: xtrailman

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
the main benefit for the consumer is multiple choice of stations that are not available on FM.

DAB specifications include a comprehensive Traffic Alert capability - which the UK broadcasters have chosen not to implement
Thanks for that, 'Radiorail'; until it was pointed out in this thread, I never realised that there are radio stations that only exist on DAB.

I'm bound to say that I find it incredible that traffic alerts remain unobtainable on DAB although, if I'm correct, it seems to me that, so long as there are BBC FM stations in the 'Favourites' list in my infotainment unit, I receive traffic updates regardless of whether or not I'm tuned into one of them or listening to my music on my connected phone from Spotify, Amazon or Apple........I think! I'll have to pay closer attention to see if that really is the case.

Reactions: mr.macspot

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
So it looks like it picks up the FM signal for these announcements irrespective of whether you are tuned into DAB or FM providing you have some FM stations stored in favourites.
I'm grateful for that, 'dmrodgers', as I began to wonder if I just imagined that to be the case. I was sure that I got announcements while using 'Media' but couldn't remember for sure whether or not they occurred while listening to DAB channels.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
If you receive TAs when tuned to DAB your radio is a cut above many others 😂
Even today, after almost six years of ownership, I continue to be staggered by the both the extent and the technical level of equipment built into my Optima as standard.

Reactions: jcapari
1 - 4 of 4 Posts